December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Non-running check in:

After yesterday's easy 5K, today I feel about like I did after last Thursday's aborted one mile run. I can feel the injury while walking, but it's not enough to make me change anything as long as I don't try to run.

Went to club practice to check in with Coach. Told him I'm questionable for Saturday. Maybe I'll run moderately well, maybe I'll run poorly, maybe I'll be unable to run. Final decision on team assignments doesn't have to be made till 5PM on Friday, at which time I may be able to rule out inability to run at all.

Right now, I'm assigned to the A team. That's where I belong if I'm healthy. The bad news is, with the injury status of a couple other guys I might even belong there if I'm hurt but can still run. I'd feel less pressure if I were on the B team; but then I'd feel guilty if I finished ahead of the A team's 3rd scorer.

So the plan now is to rest today, tomorrow, Thursday, and probably Friday, and hope that's enough to let me run 8K fairly well on Saturday.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    Dec   3     3.1        3.1 
    Dec   5     3.2T       6.3 

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    HEY CHECK THIS OUT! I finally pulled out my "medal" for my AG placement in the Run Santa Run 5k (make sure you click play):

Pretty stinking cool.

Bling jealousy going on over here :)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 and @amymoreorless I just got an email that tomorrow Dec 6th, Leakycon is releasing more tickets because I guess they are moving to a bigger facility. So tomorrow at 2pm EST, there will be more tickets!!!

Thanks! (Sending out emergency Christmas requests)
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    I only completed 15 miles in November and was mostly absent in the November thread. All of my December miles in 2016 were on the treadmill. This month I would like to complete at least 50% of my miles outdoors. My goal will be 40 miles due to the holidays impinging on some of my plans.

Hi everyone, I started running this month outdoors. Yesterday 5 miles at the trail in Broad Ripple. I really started feeling great after 4 miles but darkness was setting in. I ran the last 1.5 miles in the dark. It was 60 degrees yesterday. I ran in a strong headwind the first 1/2 mile. Then I didn't notice the weather that much other than the intermittent light rain. I had to run in place at the crossroads both coming and going, and usually there would be a car that would allow me to run across the street, but not yesterday. Bah, humbug!

I haven't run in about 2 weeks. I had spent most of my free time composing both a letter and cover letter to the Board of Nursing to defend my friend who was fired last May. I wanted the letter to be perfect...so wrote and rewrote it. I am trying to right a wrong. She goes in front of the board on Thursday...so any prayers would be welcome. Her name is Kim.

Today I wanted to run but overslept today. Instead I did some housework while my husband ran errands. Very upset about the tax bill that was voted on and passed in the dead of night. Totally unacceptable that no one had a chance to read it before voting on it. I lost a lot of sleep over the weekend, but better now.

Anyway, it felt terrific to be out again running. I forgot how much I love it. I think that I could have easily run another 3 or 4 miles if it hadn't gotten dark. I am actually thinking about getting one of those helmet things with the light. Night runners, what do you think?

I am also an adult onset runner, hmmmm maybe. I actually was a runner when I was a kid...was inspired by horse racing...just felt like running after seeing those races. And there were some great horses in the 70's....Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, and Spectacular Bid....to name a few. Then life got in the way....no time in high school or college really. A few years ago, I explored whether or not things that I was happy doing as a kid would still make me happy. So started watching horses again, and started running. I started on the treadmill, which I hated. I really didn't like road running at first and then something clicked and I really liked it. I was never very athletic....more of a bookworm, I guess. However, running is individual...you are not letting down a team, unless you run in relays or on teams. I had already lost 48 pounds...so thought that running would help me lose those last 10 pounds...it did for a time, but now back up. I think that in order to really make it a lifestyle change....you need to really love it to keep it up.

12/4....5 miles outdoors
    Goal ....40 miles with 20 of them being outdoors.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@pastorvincent is that 100 calories per scoop, or per hour? (ETA: I guess since you say you'd use 1 scoop per hour, it's a silly question!) If per hour, that seems pretty low.

100 Cals per scope. I need to do a good 4+ hour test with it, so might increase my scopes at that time. Just need time and weather. :):lol:
    um.... you can run in about any weather you know.......LOL... I do know what you mean though

I just came in from 10 miles in the rain... it was not my favorite thing ever. :)

Ugh...don't like running in the rain either. Is it getting your feet wet that's the worst part or is it all of it? I love the snow though.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 3.1
    12/2 - rest day
    12/3 - 3.1
    12/4 - 3.1
    12/4 - 3.25

Today I started working toward 4 miles. I plan to stay at 3.25 for a couple more days. I had to run after a long day in town, so I felt a little tired and was off my pace (not much... by 13 sec/mi). It started to rain a little when I had a mile and a quarter to go... it actually felt refreshing. It was dark by the time I finished... I ran the last tenth of a mile under the streetlights in the parking lot!

My husband surprised me with a Buff. I love it- though I had had my eye on a Merino one, and this is straight up microfiber. I think it'll be just fine anyway. It's in the wash with my new 50% off scoopneck running shirt... which may not get much use until spring. I need a turtleneck these days.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    December goal: 75 miles

12/3: 9.1 miles
    12/5: 3.1 miles (intervals)

12.2/75

I went to the track with my husband today. I ran intervals while he is doing c25k. I felt pretty fast. It was cold so that may be part of the reason I ran faster. Lol I don't know how all you Northerners do it. I was freezing and it was only 49°F. I did wear gloves and a jacket, but I was cold the whole time. I guess it is just something you get used to. It was 80°F yesterday. It will be cold tomorrow and Thursday too, but I plan to get out there anyway. I think part of my problem is I don't really have good winter clothing. Especially workout gear.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@pastorvincent is that 100 calories per scoop, or per hour? (ETA: I guess since you say you'd use 1 scoop per hour, it's a silly question!) If per hour, that seems pretty low.

100 Cals per scope. I need to do a good 4+ hour test with it, so might increase my scopes at that time. Just need time and weather. :):lol:
    um.... you can run in about any weather you know.......LOL... I do know what you mean though

I just came in from 10 miles in the rain... it was not my favorite thing ever. :)

Ugh...don't like running in the rain either. Is it getting your feet wet that's the worst part or is it all of it? I love the snow though.

It can be, but my Darn Tough Wool socks that I just started running with were a huge help. Feet stayed cozy despite being wet.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    December goal: 95.71 miles

12/1 3.51
    12/2 5.00
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4.25
    12/5 5.87

Total 18.63

@skippygirlsmom I did sing it out loud! As soon as I started to say "I chopped..." the song was there, and I belted it out in my best falsetto (which is not very good....). DH thinks (justifiably so) that I'm nuts...
    @BruinsGal_91 @girlinahat : see, you guys eat REAL (tm) fruitcake. That kind requires prethought and planning....I just throw some fruit into a quick bread recipe, because I'm just not that organized!

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    December 2017 Runs

02 Dec – 5 km parkrun Course Best
    03 Dec – 15 km
    05 Dec – 9 km

Goal: Run a 30 km run in December

• Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    December 5 — 4.11 miles

First run of the month. Don’t have any real mileage goals this month, just plan to try to keep running approximately every other day unless holiday parties or hangovers from said holiday parties interfere. I’m just not going to worry about it too much this month :)
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    exercise.png

Thank you all for the support and encouragement.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I actually LIKE having wet feet. As long as my shoes drain well then that's fine. yeah, maybe I'm a little odd.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 there are many many headlamps available - but if it's just for fading light then I wouldn't go all out on the newest shiniest, most powerful....

People have different likes about them - some want a focussing beam, but on trail for example you also want a wide beam so you can see those pesky tree roots and branches. Petzl are probably the go-to for many people, but I know a lot of people here who do very well with Alpkit headtorches, which tend to be very reasonably priced.

I have a couple - one has batteries in the torch bit, and one has them in a battery pack connected by wires and fixed on the waist. I know some of the Petzl torches have the battery pack at the back of the head strap. It's all about weight distribution and getting used to how something feels on your head, and not being bothered by some bounce. I know @MNLittleFinn has a chest or waist mounted one he likes. You could even use a handheld.

Something I'd also recommend, certainly if you are running on the street (aside from high-vis) is a rear red light - some torches have this, but I have a little clip-on light that does the same thing.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @ereck44
    [...]
    I have a couple - one has batteries in the torch bit, and one has them in a battery pack connected by wires and fixed on the waist. I know some of the Petzl torches have the battery pack at the back of the head strap. It's all about weight distribution and getting used to how something feels on your head, and not being bothered by some bounce. I know @MNLittleFinn has a chest or waist mounted one he likes. You could even use a handheld.

Something I'd also recommend, certainly if you are running on the street (aside from high-vis) is a rear red light - some torches have this, but I have a little clip-on light that does the same thing.
    I am always bothered by headlamps, so I have a chest lamp too. It even comes with red blinking lights on the battery pack on the back, so it fulfils two purposes in one :)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-light-250-id_8369003.html