Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's Wednesday and I have had a successful week, finally! I am crossing my fingers but I hope I have caught the wave and well on my way to better health. This week I was super mindful of my eating and water drinking. I don't think I reported this but one of my baby steps last month was to eliminate wine from my daily diet. I love wine, no doubt. My friends and I have become hobbiest... we meet monthly for a wine tasting dinner; we drive up to Paso Robles to visit the wineries; we share our finds with each other - so it really was a big challenge not to have that delicious liquid. But I discovered something important by giving it up. I have nightly foot pain that feels like nerve pain. When I stretch at night, my toes would cramp up and it was painful. Since my no-wine experiment, that has nearly gone away! My doctor could not figure out where this pain was coming from, but obviously it was how my body reacts to the alcohol.

My knee is better so I ventured back to the gym yesterday on my lunch hour and did 20 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes of exercises. It felt good to sweat. Hopefully I can keep that up. I had such an argument with myself before going. Me: "You should go to the gym like you planned" Me: "but I need chocolate melts to finish the cake pops... I should go to the store and get them" Me: "You can get them tomorrow at lunch... go to the gym!" And the Me that was pro-gym won yesterday. LOL!

I can't say it enough but I am so grateful to find this group. You are all so inspiring and supportive. We all have our ups and downs and this group keeps it real. Thank you all!

Here is my Health "Endeavor" report:
    Goal: Go to gym 3x a week - At work do the building stairs (3 floors) 2 times a day

November 22 - Gym 1X - Stairs 2 days
    November 29 – Thanksgiving fitness walk, knee better started the stairs
    December 6 –Gym 1X – Stairs 1 day
    December 13
    December 20
    December 27
    January 3
    January 10

Name: Cyndy aka @raindogmaa
    Weight: 211.6
    Initial Goal: 199
    Ultimate goal: 150
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    November 22 - January 10th - 8 weeks

Holiday Exercise Challenge/Goal/Plan

Name: Nikion901 (Niki)
    Goal: 30 minutes workouts 3 times a week

November 22 - 110 minutes, but in 2 sessions
    November 29 - 180 minutes, in 2 sessions again
    December 6 - 225 minutes, in 3 sessions

Continuing with Weight reporting Wednesday ...
    11/22/17 = 227.4
    11/29/17 = 226.8
    12/6/17 =227.4 :s

Wednesday Wish ... that I had NOT opened up that box of raisins on Saturday ... not only did I eat half of it but it set off my teeth to hurt at/behind the gums. Feeling better today, and still within site of hitting my end of year goal of 225 ... but this is the fifth week I am hovering in that mid to high 220's range ... must be my body just wants to hang on to itself instead of letting it go.

It's been so quite on this thread lately that I have stopped by and decided not to post cause it seems I was the only one stopping in. So I was really happy to see some posts when I looked today. Welcome back @Misnomer971 and @NewCaddy ... sorry you had to come back, but glad you decided to join us again. Welcome @watchdezshrink.

• b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @NewCaddy Welcome back.. Goals are a good thing. You've got this!

@skinnyjeanzbound Sunday was only one day. One day or meal never hurts us, it's when they become full days and then full weeks and on and on. Love that you gave your meal to someone begging for food. What a win win for you both.

@raindogmaa Interesting about the wine/foot correlation. Glad the pains are gone. Maybe if you only have a glass of wine every now and then, you can still enjoy it once in a awhile and not have the pain come back.

@Nikion901 You'll get to your goal. You are soooo close. I like seeing the number of days logged on. I guess it just gives me the visual that I've really been trying this for x number of days. And no, I can't usually tell how many calories will be in a meal I'm about to eat. That's why what I do is log ahead of time every day, starting with dinner and working backwards. And you are right, it has been quiet on this thread lately. It's a busy time of year for sure.

@happygirlxxx Anytime you can find a new exercise or routine or machine, it's a win. Keep up the good work. You are so dedicated!

@misnomer971 You will find all the help, motivation and support you need on this thread. We're glad you are here.

Wishing everyone a happy Wednesday!
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back from my trip and afraid to get on the scales. I don't think I did too bad, I'll know tomorrow morning. I decided to give myself a day or two to get back on track before I got on the scales. One thing I did not do was drink anywhere near enough water. When you're 70 and traveling with a weak bladder you tend to go light on the fluids. :wink: I got back late Monday night and yesterday and today I've watched my food and made sure to drink lots of water. I have a Dr.'s appointment in the morning, may have to have some surgery. I have no idea how that will impact my dieting as I tend to overeat when I'm bored and just sitting around. I guess I better wait and see what he tells me before I start worrying.

Good to see some old-timers back, although it would be great if you didn't need to be here with us, we always like to know what going on with all of you. I agree with @b_lisieux I think it's so quite because of the time of year. I hope that's all it is as I really get a lot from this thread and even though I don't post too much I try to read it daily.
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @bapcarrier I am like you ... I have not gone close to the scale because I am afraid of what I will see ... but eventually I will have to if I want to help myself.

@BarneyRubbleMD WTG!! Congrats!! All your hard work in paying off!!

Thursday Truth!!

All I crave is anything related to bread … if I could spend the whole day eating focaccia, bread sticks, etc I would be happy.

However, this is totally unaligned with loosing weight … what to do?

I am trying to control these cravings, without much success must confess, so for now if I don’t go over my calories or as close as possible I will count that as a success because I was eating a lot … I am sure way over what I am supposed to.

Yesterday, was day 1 and I hope today I can count as 2 :)

Yesterday I cooked as a way to try to keep the calories under control. I tend to invent stuff with whatever I find in my fridge so I made grilled chicken marinated with mustard lemon sauce and 2 side dishes: roasted pumpkin with caramelized onions and sautéed spinach with mushroom and cashews. Everything turned out to be delicious and I ate a small serving of everything … actually I would not have been able to have seconds because my husband devoured everything :D

Is a long holiday weekend here in Milan, but we didn't plan any trip because we didn't have someone to take care of our doggies so I guess it will be a quiet weekend for us, maybe we can visit some of the Christmas fairs and add some steps to my weekly count.

Have a good Thursday everyone!
  • b_lisieux
    Options
    @bapcarrier Welcome back from your trip! I hear you about traveling at 70 with a weak bladder. I do exactly like you do and drink very little while on vacation. Not good, I know, but necessary. Waiting a day or two to get back on the scale is a good thing. You will have lost some water weight by then. I know for me, at least, on vacation we eat out a lot and there is always hidden sodium in restaurant foods. I hope you get some good news at the doctor's today and won't need any surgery.

Wow @BarneyRubbleMD What a fantastic loss this year! You should feel so proud of your accomplishment. A big pat on the back to you. You are an inspiration!

@happygirlxxx You are good at inventing dishes with what you have on hand. Your meal sounded very yummy. You can raid my fridge anytime and be creative. :wink:

Thursday truth...I was so busy yesterday that I never ate anything until supper time! The funny thing was, I wasn't even hungry. I rarely eat breakfast, never have, even as a kid, only once in a while do I eat it. And yes, I know, it's supposed to not be skipped, it's the most important meal of the day etc. etc.. I always eat lunch though but somehow the day totally got away from me yesterday. I will do better today. Don't want my body to think it's in starvation mode and not shed anything because it thinks it's not getting any more.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!
  • raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Since Wednesdays are my weigh-in days, I figure I'd post an update...

I'm finally down under my pre-binge weight (before my early-November binges), even if by only 0.4 lbs but I'll take it and I've been binge-free since 11/18/2017. For the year, I'm down 99.2 lbs.

99.2 LBS! Well that's just amazing! Wow!
  • lydiapassthedonuts
    Options
    Helloooo there! I was without my computer for a while but I'm back! Here is my challenge report:

Holiday Exercise Challenge

Name: Lydia

Goal: Minimum of 150 minutes of activity per week. My activity will include walking, gym, workout videos, and anything else I can do without injuring myself.

November 22: 180 minutes of exercise, pilates 4x, over 10,000 steps 6 of 7 days
    November 29: 100 minutes of exercise, run 1x, pilates 2x, 10,000 steps 4 of 7 days
    December 6: 165 minutes of exercise, run 2x, pilates 1x, 10,000 steps 6 of 7 days
    December 13:
    December 20:
    December 27:
    January 3:
    January 10:

I had shown a 2 lb gain during Thanksgiving but I'm back on track for the most part. It's eggnog season so I can't seem to pass that one up. I am slowly starting to run again. I've really missed it. I'm just taking it VERY slowly so I don't injure myself again. My daily activity level is up there, my daily exercise sometimes lacks. I'm getting over 300 activity minutes a week, but I'm only reporting my actual exercise times since that is what I really need to improve on.

@BarneyRubbleMD glad to see you back on track. You have done a wonderful job!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season.

So glad to be back! I've got some posts to catch up on. :smile:

• NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome. Yesterday was a bit tough…was home only for about 15 minutes and didn’t have supper prepared so it was a grab what was available. Plus I had a migraine start and then full blown by 9 pm. Today it’s building again…I can’t get to the chiropractor until 5 so I’m having a rough day…but on the plus side…I packed my breakfast and lunch so I’m on track. If I feel better after my chiropractic appointment, I’ll try to head for the gym for a bit before my daugher’s concert. We’ll have so see. This migraine crap is for the birds!

This is a busy week for me. Monday – Emma had volleyball. Tuesday – shopping for Angel tree that was due on Wednesday plus shopping for concert clothes/Christmas outfit for Emma. Wednesday – Christmas program practice, leading MoMS group and choir practice. Thursday – MS Band Concert. Friday – lock-in (I may or may not be chaperoning) at the church. Saturday – VB practice and an all day Christmas goodies baking with my sisters. Sunday – Christmas program at church. I can’t wait until after noon on Sunday – pretty sure a nap will be involved.

@Misnomer971…tap should be a great workout for you – welcome back on track!

@skinnyjeanzbound…What a great use of unwanted leftovers! I usually come home and tell my husband to eat it in the morning when he gets off work (although that doesn’t work if it’s chicken based as he’s allergic)

@raindogmaa…those internal conversations are tough. Yesterday, when my migraine was just starting, my brain was saying “just grab a frozen coke and stop this headache” I actually turned to go and then I took a right instead of a left and overrode my stupid thoughts!

@BarneyRubbleMD…99.2 pounds --- AWESOME!
  • happygirlxxx
    edited December 2017
    Options
    feazha2blflg.jpeg

Tonight’s dinner .... if I could skip the chips and breads then it would not be that bad :#

Was going to just drink water, but we were celebrating my husband's first TV interview ... was really good ... his 5 minutes of fame :D
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @ana-- wow that looks delicious!! Looks like what we ate just about every day when we were in Switzerland and France. That and glace!! Those dishes you invented all sound wonderful as well.

@tracy-- yes, it made me so happy to give the food to someone who really needed it. We Americans waste so much food, it's shameful. So sorry to hear about your migraines. I get them occasionally, and man does it stink.

@lydia-- great job with the exercise. Injuries can be tough, but you are smart to take it slowly. I also miss running, but I have no excuse for not getting back at it other than prioritizing grading over the gym. I'm really looking forward to winter break when I can catch up on work and get back into a gym routine.

@b_lisieux -- I also am not a big breakfast person. I'm just not hungry in the morning, and when I've tried to force myself to try eating it regularly, the result is just a higher calorie count for the day. I think it makes more sense to eat when I'm hungry. I bring a hard boiled egg to work every day and eat it during my first prep period which is about 9:30, but some mornings I skip it if I'm too busy.

@barney-- Wow, you are so close to the century mark!! And congrats on restraining the urge to binge. I took that online test you posted and I scored an 8, but as I answered each question, I imagined how different my answers would've been 6 or 7 years ago. I was a total closet eater--not big binges, but I tended to eat alone as if it didn't count if no one saw it. I'm so much better now, but it took years of changing my relationship with food. That being said, I found a bag of Dala Horse candy the other night, and though I managed to limit myself to one serving of 6 pieces at the time, last night I finished the bag--about 3 servings. :blush:

@bapcarrier -- hope the doctor's appointment went well.

@cyndy-- glad your knee is better and you won the fight to get to the gym. I need to win that argument with myself soon.

@niki-- sometimes our bodies want to work against us when we get close to a goal--hang in there and you will make it!

Thursday Truth:
    Just the candy I mentioned to barney above. But I logged it all and will own it. Today I am back on track even with leftover Chili's from a yearbook deadline meeting Wed. night. I had small tastes of all of the appetizers and skipped my afternoon snack to maintain my calories. An even bigger win today is that I went to starbucks to grade after work and ordered a zero calorie hot green tea instead of my usual latte or frappaccino. Small victories.
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Beware woman's topic, don't read if you're squeamish. LOL Well, I am an extremely healthy 70 year old woman, it's just that my insides are falling out! :neutral: Need laparoscopic surgery to tie my bladder and uterus back in place. Very common for us women, I know, just annoying! The surgery is so much better now than it used to be years ago. Now it's in and out in same day and two weeks of no or light lifting, and being careful, trying not to cough or sneeze (I have allergies so that ought to be interesting, I sometimes sneeze 7 or 8 times in a row!) It doesn't sound too bad at all and I have no alternative at this point as the other options will not work for one reason or another. Hasn't been scheduled yet, so don't know when this will take place.

Of course, after appointment I ended up at Mickey D's for lunch and then later in the day my boss brought me a chocolate milk shake - just to be nice! I logged everything but went over my calories by a lot! Oh well, tomorrow's another day.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Thursday Truth ... sometimes I read all the posts, then write my own ... and delete it instead of posting.

• happygirlxxx
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound small victories exactly! I think our journeys will be more successful if we focus on the now moment and celebrate all our small successes ... that will give us the strength to continue :) Regarding Starbucks, I used to go there all the time when in the US and now that I went back I was disappointed ... didn't really like it, is not good coffee and way to much milk ... so with time, you might not crave the frapuccinos or milky lattes ... and you will love green tea. After 6 years in Asia, I <3 it! It was everywhere, not much of a choice!

@bapcarrier I had a laparoscopic surgery when younger and definitively recovery is fast. You still feel a bit of pain, but not that bad. Just need to follow the doctors instructions for recovery and you will be doing your normal stuff in no time! And yes tomorrow is another day, to eat healthy and stay within calories ... just some additional steps and tons of water and that milkshake will be gone!

@Nikion901 you are not the only one ... happens to me too; not sure why ... sometimes I think whatever I wrote was irrelevant so not worth sharing. Anyway ... :D

Today I had a tiny loss ... still like a zillion lbs over my lowest, but at least the scale moved in the right direction this time B)

Have a great Friday!!
  • b_lisieux
    Options
    @lydiapassthedonuts I hear you about egg nog season. My goal is to avoid it this season. We'll see how that works out. Good going on the exercise minutes but do be careful not to hurt yourself.

@NewCaddy I hope your migraine is gone by now.

@happygirlxxx What a pretty celebratory dinner! Your husband was on TV? That is cool!

@skinnyjeanzbound One day of candy eating won't kill you. You logged and owned it. Give yourself credit. And you only ate tiny bits of party appetizers. That takes strength. Congrats!

@bapcarrier Just think how much easier it will be when you travel after your surgery. It will be worth it! And be proud of yourself for logging McD's and that milkshake! Yesterday is over, today is a new day.

@Nikion901 I often think half the things I post are irrelevant. But we are all in this together and it's good to share. It's cheaper than therapy. :smile:

Down 1.5 this morning and 20.5 overall. It's slower coming off than putting it on, that's for sure. Going to a Mexican restaurant tonight with neighbors. I'll probably pass on the margarita. They are super high in calories. Can't promise about the chips and salsa. That would take a lot of willpower. LOL No real plans for the weekend. Might start wrapping some presents. Calorie wise, since we'll be home, it shouldn't be too bad of weekend. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • ckozl81
    ckozl81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello... I'm newish here at least in the community. I went back to the first post to see what this group is about and it seems like a great thing to be a part of. I'm working on losing 182.2 pounds to start as that is half of my starting weight. I'm trying to do it slowly so the healthy changes stick. I'm currently down about 27 pounds. The scale and I have been fighting this week, it's gone up a .1 of a pound the last 3 days.
    I belong to my local gym and I love it. The people there are awesome and very encouraging. I attend Water Aerobics 2-3 times a week as my schedule allows since I go during my lunch break from work so sometimes it gets pushed for urgent business needs. I also attend other classes offered 2-4 days a week and I'm working on a 5k goal for May 2018. I try to lift weights once a week also as the classes I attend have a strength component also.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Friday Fitness ... what am I doing to get fit? Not much. I still spend most of my time glued to my computer, sitting at the home office desk ... and neglecting all the things I plan to do. It's like I forget all about everything else except what's in front of me at the moment. Now that is being single-minded, and I'm not happy about it one bit. :smiley: LOL. ... Today I got the old big Ariens snow thrower out and cleaned up my driveway, the path to the house and the 100 feet of sidewalk in front of my house ... I think I'm the only one on the block that bothered to snow-throw and do the sidewalk. (It is a 'law' in my community that the home owners are responsible for keeping the sidewalks clear of snow and ice, and they can receive a heft fine if they don't do it ... but I don't know anyone who has ever been fined. Still, I do it.) Here's a picture of some of my handi-work today ...
    kn51rs69f0jy.jpg
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Wow ... that picture is bigger than I thought it would be ... should have shrunk it even more than I did.

Continuing on with my Friday Fitness theme ... I'm going to make salmon patties for dinner today, with canned wild salmon. It will be served with a big salad and some broccoli. That's cause I'm tired of eating the Split Pea soup I made a few days ago ... This will satisfy my attempt to consume high omega-3 fishes twice a week. Plus I will have salmon patties left over for the weekend. On Sunday I plan to roast a whole chicken. Most of it will be used to make dishes during the week and some of it will be frozen for later.

@ckozl81 ... welcome to the thread. You've got a good plan for keeping active ... and on top of working! Swimming is something I had wanted to take up ... but have made all sorts of reasonable-sounding excuses to myself for why I haven't done it.

@b_lisieux ... you know it! About how much slower it comes off than comes on. I've read that when we have been low-carbing and then have a high-carb day that each gram of carb carries an additional retention of 2-3 grams of water ... and that's why our weight goes up even if our calories were not above maintenance. They call it glycogen replenishment, or something like that. I've read that also happens when we eat too much protein because an excess of that macro also converts to glycogen and is stored when over consumed.

@happygirlxxx ... that photo of your celebratory meal was so appealing! It could have been a shot for a food magazine! Congratulations to your husband.

@bapcarrier ... Good luck on your upcoming surgery. My sis had one like that, but her's was more involved and could not be done laparoscopically so her recovery time was about 6 weeks. But, she is very glad that she had it done.

@skinnyjeanzbound ... Gunner will help you by having you take him for a walk! My sis, before she retired, had gotten in the habit of stopping at the Starbucks on the way to work for a daily frappuccino, it was her treat to herself because she deserved it! Then, when she suddenly realized she had gained 20 pounds she realized she had gained it by spending a small fortune on those cups of frappo she'd consumed. So ... she decided to bank the cost of the Starbucks cup of coffee (the way she liked it) and have a premium cup of coffee with heavy cream in it at home instead ... and was overwhelmed by how much money, how quickly, she saved. At the end of the year, she used that money to take help fund an Alaskan cruise with her husband.

@NewCaddy , @lydiapassthedonuts , @BarneyRubbleMD ... @raindogmaa , @Misnomer971 ...HI!
  • b_lisieux
    Options
    Wow, @Nikion901....good job with the snow throwing! What part of the country do you live? We could get a dusting up to an inch tomorrow. I live in southwest Ohio.

@ckozl81 Welcome to the thread! Ditto what Niki said...you have a good plan for keeping active!