Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• 170isreal
    170isreal Posts: 151 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    Long story short: I started MFP end of 2011. Lost 70lbs. Went through some huge life changes, graduated grad school, began my career, switched jobs, bought a house. For most of 2013 I maintained with some gains and losses. 2014... I sabotaged myself and gained all but 10-15lbs back. Now my goals are different and I'm exploring my process. I would love some active friends with open diaries as this is where I get ideas from. Please friend me! We can do this, we can be happy with ourselves and our choices! I look forward to getting to know some smart weight lose allies!
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good grief! I just lost the post I had started. Sorry.

To everyone who is sick, Niki, Kaye, Robin and any others, get well soon. This darned bug is just no fun for any of you. LaurieK get some rest so you don't get sick too.

@MnQueen Cute hair. Boy, I totally missed that you were joking. Sorry, chalk it up to my being an old lady! LOL

@Rozie I hope your mom is doing well.

@NIki Great post tonight....probably best not to eat a pizza, like you really feel like it. Take care.

@Skinny Hope the negotiating went well.

Welcome new and returning people.

Thursday truth: I CAN do this when I set my head to it. I was under calories for the first time in several days today.

This tread is going so fast tonight I can hardly keep up; I read one post and another comes in.

Thanks everyone for being here.
    Barbara (mountmary)
    "Tenacity"
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,125 Member
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    sick.....aching....coughing...flu.......be back soon.........

Welcome Newbies! you are posting to great place -your friends will post back here so come back have your chats here for questions etc

Oh no----!!! Get well double quick! That's my wish for you.

Lin

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

@tracy--I don't think The Scarlet Letter is a book most HS age students can read independently, so we read the majority together in class. Otherwise, I suspect many of my students would also not read it.

@teresa--welcome back!

@holly--love the hair! Oh, and yes it took gunner until about the age of 3 to reach his full-grown size and leave the stubborn puppy stage. Apparently, that true for large-breed male dogs. Who knew?

@newlings--welcome!

Thursday Truth:
    I also just skimmed b/c I had a bargaining meeting and didn't get home until late. So sorry for those of you who are sick--niki, kaye, robin, and any others--get lots of rest and feel better!

AFM--Well the streak of emergency closings seems to have come to an end. At this point we are scheduled to return tomorrow--ironically, the weather will be just as cold, but now we have snow on top of the bitterly low temps. Oh well.

Our bargaining went well until the other side presented their proposed language for the teacher work day and professional expectations. Oy--not good. In fact, downright insulting. We haven't even started talking money yet, but there is no amount of compensation that will get our members to agree to these proposals. They want an extended school year, longer school day, more mandatory meetings outside of the school day, mandatory evening/weekend duties. It's truly ridiculous. Can't wait for our next meeting when we have to reject all of it--that will be fun. :(

On a more positive note, I made it to the gym before my meeting. Ran 2 miles on the treadmill, and even did some hill repeats. In case I haven't said it enough lately, I DO NOT LIKE HILLS.

2015 mantra = "Just 15 minutes"

January Challenge:
    Under calorie goal: 7/8 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    All-in: run 2 days/week: week 1 = 2/2, week 2 = x/2, week 3 = x/2, week 3 = x/2
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47)

Grading Goals:
    1. 14/50 AP essays
    2. 8/13 Scarlet Letter essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner NOT DONE (too snowy, wet, and cold outside)
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Tues--rest day (meeting)
    Wed--gym NOPE
    Thurs--rest day (meeting) gym DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

• cuddle78
    Options
    Hi all.... i am needing some support and encouragement. I feel i have hit a plato with my weight loss... anything u can suggest. Add me and chit chat.
  • bsracer
    bsracer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Still on track! semms like evenings are my super weak time, any suggestions on how to curb the cravings and get though the evening hours without messing up the whole day?
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: I have been to the gym 5 out of 8 days in January. Our goal is a minimum of 4, but hopefully 5 each week.

@Rozie…prayers for your Mom.
    @klp…it’s important that kids learn how to play by themselves but we were in the same situation. All I can say is to have him be by himself with toys for 5 minutes. Be in the room and watching, but tell him that it’s time for him to play by himself until the timer rings and then Mommy will play with him. After he can do 5 minutes, extend it. It worked for us at the recommendation of our pediatrician.
    @dcavazos…I’ll echo others. Fad diets, IMO, make us give up some of our favorite things and then we snap and give it up so we can have a bite of XXXX. Chips are my favorite thing in the world…when I am being successful with this, I weigh out a portion, fit it into my calorie allowance and move on. Yes, there have been times I’ve told my husband or son to hide the rest of the bag, but I still get some and just make sure it works in my calories.
    @nanners…remember that your body weight fluctuates daily. I have added a new weigh lifting schedule after not doing it a month. My weight went up because my body is retaining water to repair my muscles. It’s not fun to see, but understandable. Too much salt, not enough water, exercise etc all can make our body retain water which will add to the scale. But like you discovered, it went back down.
    @sickness….GO AWAY!!!! WE DON’T NEED YOU HERE!

AFM…made calories yesterday. Drank 84 oz of water (big deal for me). Did the OHP routine for lifting at the gym plus 30 minutes of treadmill. I feel good about the gym but holy cow does my body have some soreness. Originally we were going to do Squat Day tonight and take the weekend off. Our bodies tell us “heck no, Friday will need to be a rest day.” I can definitely tell we took December off from the lifting. Today is a stay home day for me. No plans at all tonight. I hope to get a good jump on my kitchen and move some of the things that I rarely use to the basement and some things I never use to the donation pile. I’d really like to have my counter tops bare and uncluttered. I feel better if things are minimal.

Have a great Friday!!!
  • Kdrules
    Kdrules Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I'm back!! :D

Thursday truth: Life at work, church, and home, along with holidays threw me way off my weight loss game. I stopped tracking calories, which is NEVER a good idea for me! I missed this thread but got so behind I just stopped coming. Sorry about that!!

Anyway, I joined a challenge on the 5th and I'm back to tracking every little morsel. I do miss the support this thread gave me and I look forward to catching up with you and meeting all the new members who have joined the group. :)

• Kdrules
    Kdrules Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know sometimes I overwhelm myself with how long it will take and in the past I have up when something didn't work. I decided a couple of days ago that this is a mandatory task. Therefore no need to overwhelm myself. If it is broke I will fix it. I started Jorge cruises 100 diet and chose that to be my new way of life. I started Wednesday and so far so good. I am more energetic and more in control, I will learn how to live in the moment. I will take me time and enjoy it daily and I will be successful.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This thread sure is flying by this week, hard to keep up with everyone!

Another (wo)man down—boy illness sure is going around. :mask: Robin, wishing you a speedy recovery! I hope everyone else that is sick or injured is back to 100% soon. Stay warm and get plenty of rest.

@bsracer~Hooray for continuing to be on track! Evenings can be the hardest part of the day for most everyone. I recommend having a small calorie cushion so you can have a healthy snack in the evening—especially if you are used to having one. It will keep you on track. My go-to snacks in the evening are celery with a tablespoon of peanut butter or veggie cream cheese (or a wedge of veggie laughing cow) or a bowl of Kashi cereal with ½ cup of sugar-free vanilla almond milk. If I want something sweet and/or salty I keep good dark chocolate around and have ½ a serving or I go for the small bags of fat-free kettle corn popcorn. In general, I try to keep the portions small but have enough that it satisfies any craving.

@Teresa~Welcome back!

@Tracy~Way to re-commit to the gym, doing awesome so far!

To the several newlings that posted recently~Welcome, you found a great thread. You will find lots of support and motivation here, to make the most of it check back often and become part of the conversation.

AFM~I’m glad it’s Friday and come hell or high water I’m getting out of here at a decent hour and getting my butt to the gym for some much needed stress-reducing cardio! :smiling_imp: I did have a session with my trainer yesterday, he had me do a lot of core work and resistance work which I typically don’t like but it has to be done periodically—I have a session with him again tomorrow, I’m sure he’ll beat me up a little with a longer session and heavy lifting. :astonished:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    bsracer wrote: »
    Well so far so good! as I posted before I lost 5 pounds in 7 days and maintaining that loss so far! Have had a couple bumps in the road but doin ok I think. Still kinda short on meal ideas so anything ya'll might want to share would be a big help!

The slow cooker is your friend, just toss stuff in then set it and forget it! :wink: I search the web for lots of recipe ideas either with or without the use of a slow cooker. Two great sources are www.allrecipes.com and www.skinnytaste.com.

• cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi, newbie to the thread, I have been over weight my whole life but have shifted the weight 4 times and let it back on plus some more. I work shifts, days and nights which doesn't help with any routine. Last year I did really well with intermittent fasting (5:2) but life got in the way so I'm giving it another go, but still tracking on food days and aiming to come in under target.
    Looking forward to getting to know you all xx
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    @New People- Welcome.
    @MKknits- Sorry to hear that your lunch took a digger. Ironically I remember from the movie Super Size Me that a kids portion is just the right amount of food for an adult. Like your habit idea.
    @Morgori- Go Joygerm Day!!! Love it!
    @Kah68- That would be a frozen mess. My algebra is one step up from an introduction class. I think my teacher last semester said it is like high school math. The class I just finished was middle school algebra. I am taking micro economics also.
    @tlh0407-“Hyper Color” I loved those shirts. Congrats to your son that is awesome!
    @Rozie- prayers for your mom
    @Tanya- those protein balls sound good can I get the recipe?
    @Grandmakaye-Sorry that you’re so sick, hope you get better soon.
    @Teresa_3266- I am sorry you felt you had to leave because you got behind. Know we are always here no matter what. I am always behind and sometime by months because of my school classes and life. These people are awesome they all understand life gets in the way.
    @RobinsEgg- I am sorry you are not feeling well.
    @Karen- Males have always taken longer to mature than females same with dogs. Just kidding for those of you that get easily offended. Congrats on doing the hills!
    @bsracer- I find the more I keep myself busy doing things the less I want to eat at night. Also, I drink a lot of tea the water helps keep me full and if it doesn’t I know it is time for food.
    AFM- Thanks for the comments on the new haircut. I have never had bangs they are hard to get used to. I actually lost 1.5lbs this week and I am walking every day at lunch like I use to (before vacation). I am working on not eating out so much at work. So I bought 2 weeks’ worth of lean cuisine meals for lunch (lover the braised beef and sweet potato) and I will be making breakfast sandwiches to bring in on next week for breakfast. I am trying to cook more at home and it is going good so far but my son has been working nights so that makes it easier. I am sick of this below zero temps I know I should be used to it I have lived in MN for 41 years. It seems the older I get the more I hate the cold and snow. If it is not to cold I plan to do try doing something alone (very hard for me) this bar and grill I like has bar bingo on Saturday’s so I may try going there alone being none of my friends want to do anything. Our neighbors have 2 pure breed German Shepard puppies they were out in the snow last night it was funny they were on the deck the one puppy started going down the steps so the other grabbed him by the top of butt with his mouth pulling him backwards then they both toppled down the stairs when the one pulling lost balance in the snow.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good morning all.

Happy National Static Electricity Day - January 9
    What is Static Electricity?

Static Electricity and Water Flow

Theater of Electricity

Energy and Science Projects

Energy Quest

Sticky Electrostatics

Activity

” Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.” Willie Nelson

Tom
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Lost over 8 pounds since the 1st by just cutting out the bulk of my carbs. Still eating some. That always works for me. Too bad I love carbs!!

@toots-yes, yesterday I threw those cookies in the garbage having not eaten a single one. I felt kind of bad, but they are sugar cookies which neither the DH nor I really like--I would have just eaten them to eat them, and I would rather save my calories

That's awesome. I'd probably eat them anyway even though I don't like them as much, cause, hey. Cookies.
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    @tootsanderson‌ man throwing away cookies (even ones I don't like) is something I struggle with - but should be doing just like you! I admire that will power.

@mnwalkingqueen‌ I live in Maine and am sick of this crazy cold weather too - our school is an old building so when the high for the day is -21 there is no hope of my room ever clearing 60 degrees and being cold like this all day stinks.

AFM-

13/66 Building my habit
    8/31 for this month

I think I've also figured out one reason I've struggled previously trying to lose weight, I always get discouraged because I always feel so hungry. I have my calories set to light activity (teacher) but I also wear a misfit shine activity monitor (similar to a fitbit but I like it better) now. Most days it ends up giving me an extra 300 calories above what the BMR is set to here (it figures out your BMR as well). It makes sense because even on a day that I mostly lecture I pace the entire time and move around the room as I talk so I really am more active then I think. I eat back some of those calories some days (depending on my hunger level really). So should I change my activity level here? On weekends it is right (I am so lazy on weekends but also most of my walking ends up just being around the house getting chores done) so I'm thinking to just leave it and M-F just eat back some of the calories I get from the adjustment. What would you do?
  • klp555
    klp555 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @tlh0407 - I will give that a try. I just keep hoping each day will be different and he'll just start playing and he surely doesn't lack toys, he had his birthday in November and then family spoils him for Christmas. He'll probably like the idea of a timer, although, maybe I shouldn't tell him or he'll want to spend the time watching it, he likes numbers. BUT anyway definitely something to try - I'd be happier if he could play alone.

I'm back again today! Still no exercise but sticking to the calories at least. My cousin told me last night about her co-worker who lost 100 pounds very quickly on Medifast. Has anyone tried it? I'm a little concerned about all the soy in it, but otherwise looks fairly do-able. Although Nutrisystem is food and fewer shakes and bars, Medifast seems to be all shakes and bars. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has tried it.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    @tootsanderson‌ man throwing away cookies (even ones I don't like) is something I struggle with - but should be doing just like you! I admire that will power.

I admire it too! It wasn't me, it was @skinnyjeanzbound‌ I would have eaten them anyway!
  • Hamoalta
    Hamoalta Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I am new to this group and would love to join I am looking for new friends to add I am new and looking to lose over 150 pounds.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies!

Sending get well vibes to the sickies!

@kah68 - OK, your determination to get to the gym today as a stress reliever is motivating me to do the same. Also, reading your posts about using the slow cooker was causing an immediate pushback response from me because I do not like cleaning mine, even though I *know* how much more convenient it is to use them. Then I thought, if cleaning the slow cooker is your big obstacle to using something that will make life easier + be so much better for your health, then buy the freaking liners already. So that's on my shopping list now. :smiley:

@mkknits - I would experiment with eating back some of the calories during the week. Maybe have an extra midday snack on hand to get you through the afternoon?

AFM - I fell asleep again this morning after doing my Miracle Morning routine. Went through the whole thing, then decided to read a little more and zzzzzz... Woke up 2 1/2 hours later feeling cranky about "losing time", but eventually decided that if my body needed the sleep, then it's good to get it in the morning so I can make the rest of my day productive. Meanwhile, I need to continue to work on getting to bed earlier (that's going to be on next week's goals) AND have something specific to get up and do once I finish my routine.

MFP Weekly Goals: January 4-10

Diet Goals

* Make a meal plan and stick with it! - working on it!
    * At/Under calorie limit 5/7 days - 2/7
    * No fast food 4/7 days - 0/7
    * Create meal plan for Sissy Nights (my night with nieces & nephews) with healthy options for me - DONE

Excercise Goals

* Gym for at least 30 minutes of cardio at least 3/7 days - 2/7
    * Find short yoga routine to do at home as part of Miracle Morning - DONE 5/7

Health Goals

* Take meds daily - 4/7
    * Refill pill box when empty

Personal Goals

* Finish reading The Miracle Morning - DONE - time to start another book
    * Create Miracle Morning routine and implement 5/7 days - DONE 5/7

Cleaning Goals

* Declutter kitchen - decluttered one set of cupboards and the pantry on Sunday night

Work Goals

* Edit PR pitch and sent to partner for review - DONE
    * Write mag profile #1 and send out for review - DONE
    * Write mag profile #2 and send out for review
    * Write mag profile #3 and send out for review
    * Invoice magazines
    * Set up interviews for profile #4 and feature article
    * Figure out shopping cart issue for e-commerce site
    * Sub at high school on Thursday - DONE
    * Send 5 pitches on behalf of PR client - DONE
    * Request quotes for 2 newspaper articles - DONE
    * Set up interview for newspaper profile