penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Still running :)
    exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    6 miles on elliptical. Great month so far.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Okay, now I am freaking out about my marathon on Sunday. It is currently SNOWING. Seriously guys. Frozen *kitten* is falling from the sky and covering my car. Enough that I could write the word “snow”, in snow, on the freakin hood. All the local school districts are delaying tomorrow. People are freaking out.

Hell (AKA Central Texas) has officially frozen over. I almost died of hypothermia walking from work to my car. How am I supposed to run in this? I can totally solder through 100 degrees F.... but frozen fluffy stuff? Ewwwwww

Well, the weather today is not necessarily related to weather in a couple days. What is the forecast?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - happy birthday and sorry about the weather being so hot! That was here last year, which made my holiday streak miserable!

@7lenny7 - I cracked up when I saw your Strava post of the hummingbird for me, lol.

Looks like rain tomorrow morning so that means cycling is probably out... so looks like more than 1 mile run for me tomorrow!
    Last night went to the gym and did the glute workout - and was planning on treadmill for an hour, but it was so nice out I was able to run outside! Only did enough for the streak even though it was so tempting to keep going. But I know I can't overdo it (ummmm... okay I am overdoing it but I can't over-over-do-it).

12/1 - 1.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day9
    12/2 - 43 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day10
    12/3 - 40 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day11
    12/4 - 3.1 miles + Strength Training Glutes W3-A - #RWRunStreak Day12
    12/5 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 13 + strength training W3B
    12/6 - 2 miles #RWRunStreak Day 14
    12/7 - 1.3 miles #RWRunStreak Day 15 + strength training W3C
    12/8 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 16

Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ That looks awesome!

Does it only upload from a Forerunner GPS, or would it do it from my Fenix 5?

Being lazy and not researching for myself in a futile attempt to not get hooked on yet another running app.
    @Orphia
    I don't have a Garmin, so I haven't tested, but they write "GPS import currently supports the Garmin Forerunner GPS only and requires the Garmin Communicator Plugin. You need to install the Garmin Communicator Plugin before you can use your Forerunner with RunningAHEAD." So Forerunner should work.
    It can also synchronise with Garmin Connect without any extra plugins.
    I did this for a while. Well, or to be exact: my watch can automatically upload to Strava, then tapiriik.com can automatically sync to Garmin Connect, then RunningAHEAD can pull the data from there. Slightly round about way :wink:
    Since I manually edit the run log anyway (to select the shoes, for example) and didn't want to wait for the crazy sync cycle to run its course, I've changed the settings from my TomTom software so that it also gives me a *.fit file, and upload that by hand, but if you use a Garmin watch anyway that wouldn't be necessary. So that shouldn't stop you from signing up to one more running site. Come on, you know you want to... :mrgreen:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Buckyz22 wrote: »
    I'm finding this interesting....how can i sign up....

Just set a goal, start posting and you're in B)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    December goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5
    12/4- 5.8
    12/5- REST
    12/6- 6.5
    12/7- REST
    12/8- 8.4ish

Total: 45.6

Today's notes: Today's run is brought to you by a cautionary tale called Double check your technology you *kitten* Idiot, Courtesy of MNLittleFinn.

Today's assignment was 2x2miles with a goal of 15 minutes (7:30 pace) per split. Just like any normal day, I got up, got all ready and was nout the door in like 20 minutes, with the programmed workout going on my Garmin. Warm Up was good, got in somewhere around 2.1 miles in 20 minutes. My watch buzzed for the first interval and I was off running.

Things were feeling really good as I made my first turn around, right before the 1 mile mark on the interval. My pace was right at 7:28, so very good.... Then, right after the turn around, my watch buzzed and signaled I'd completed one rep. WTF???!!! I stopped the watch, DISCARDED the workout and went into my workout settings to check what the problem was.... The problem was ME. When I had made the changes to my workout to make it 2 mile splits instead of 1 mile, I had changed my pace, changed the number of reps, etc... but I had forgotten to CHANGE THE DISTANCE of each rep. I was pretty pissed at this point. I went to the generic interval timer and set for 2xwMile intervals with the 2 minute recovery, started it up, jogged for about 20 seconds and hit the lap button for the first "real" rep.

I HAMMERED the first rep, fueled by my annoyance with myself. Ran it in 14:54, a nice cushion, but I was TIRED now. 2 minutes of recovery weren't quite enough to get me ready for the second rep but, well, I had to go for it. I pushed pretty hard, but my legs didn't have it. Second rep came in at 15:06.... 6 seconds slow.... Ugh. waled for about 2 minutes then jogged 10 for my cool down to finish things off.

About half way through my cool down, I realized that I shouldn't have discarded the first run so, when I got back home, I manually entered it into Garmin and Strava, as a reminder to myself that I need to double check everything before starting a workout.

Hope everyone is having a Runderful day!

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ That looks awesome!

Does it only upload from a Forerunner GPS, or would it do it from my Fenix 5?

Being lazy and not researching for myself in a futile attempt to not get hooked on yet another running app.
    @Orphia
    I don't have a Garmin, so I haven't tested, but they write "GPS import currently supports the Garmin Forerunner GPS only and requires the Garmin Communicator Plugin. You need to install the Garmin Communicator Plugin before you can use your Forerunner with RunningAHEAD." So Forerunner should work.
    It can also synchronise with Garmin Connect without any extra plugins.
    I did this for a while. Well, or to be exact: my watch can automatically upload to Strava, then tapiriik.com can automatically sync to Garmin Connect, then RunningAHEAD can pull the data from there. Slightly round about way :wink:
    Since I manually edit the run log anyway (to select the shoes, for example) and didn't want to wait for the crazy sync cycle to run its course, I've changed the settings from my TomTom software so that it also gives me a *.fit file, and upload that by hand, but if you use a Garmin watch anyway that wouldn't be necessary. So that shouldn't stop you from signing up to one more running site. Come on, you know you want to... :mrgreen:

Garmin's software is really pretty good about this stuff. My 935 uploads to Garmin connect and the software pushes the run to Apple Health Kit, RunKeeper, Strava and even my Dicks Sporting Goods app (you get rewards points for steps! It is like free money). Never used the site you mentioned, but if it syncs with any of them, then it will sync with Garmin.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I FORGOT MY GARMIN, GUYS. HOW CAN I RUN TODAY??? Plugged it in to the charger this morning as always, but I had a couple extra things I had to do before leaving (like get the fireplace going again because it was 14F [-10C] outside and 61F [16C] in the house). So i decided to let it continue charging while I did that, and then forgot to put it back on. And, of course, today was the day I was going to see if my treadmill calibration worked. BAH!

[sulking] Guess I'll just manually log my run like it's the stone age...[/sulking]
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Okay, now I am freaking out about my marathon on Sunday. It is currently SNOWING. Seriously guys. Frozen *kitten* is falling from the sky and covering my car. Enough that I could write the word “snow”, in snow, on the freakin hood. All the local school districts are delaying tomorrow. People are freaking out.

Hell (AKA Central Texas) has officially frozen over. I almost died of hypothermia walking from work to my car. How am I supposed to run in this? I can totally solder through 100 degrees F.... but frozen fluffy stuff? Ewwwwww

Lol! A few layers and I think you'll find it's quite enjoyable. It was 14 this morning here. My lungs didn't really care for it and it made me cough. But I love that crisp air on a run! 20 is better running than 40, to me.

@garygse 4 weeks off is character building, isn't it? I seriously do not know how to exist without running. I slip into a pouty puss way to easily.

It's suppose to warm up to 50 today. I have a half day of work. So I have my day all mapped out. I'm going to stick to it. It includes a run.

Although now that I have a better understanding of the MRA report, I'm not sure I should run. But if its surgical, then it'll all heal later post surgery.

My concern is aggravating the tendonosis, and what seem to be some muscle tearing- "fibrilation", and not understanding how bad it is or isn't.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Proud of you reaching your December goal @Orphia!

Sorry to hear you are benched into the new year @Azercord :(

@MNLittleFinn lol I can totally see myself doing that. As much as running technology is helpful it can just as easily overcomplicate things. Way to bang it out.

Ran a very chill (5'28") 29k in the bush. Ben's company Christmas parties are today and the kid's party is out at Wilmore sledding (So I guess hill work later dragging my kids up Tobaggon Hill lol). Probably for the better he doesn't want to bring me to adult party, I assume my legs will be toast.

December 1- 18
    December 2- 52
    December 3- 20+8
    December 4- 20
    December 5- 16
    December 6- 12
    December 7- Off
    December 8- 29

175/626km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    ???Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
    ???Lewiston Trail Ultra September 29

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I FORGOT MY GARMIN, GUYS. HOW CAN I RUN TODAY???

[sulking] Guess I'll just manually log my run like it's the stone age...[/sulking]

LOL - This made me nearly choke. Yesterday I forgot my HRM when I went to gym and I felt the same. At least I had my Garmin.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I FORGOT MY GARMIN, GUYS. HOW CAN I RUN TODAY??? Plugged it in to the charger this morning as always, but I had a couple extra things I had to do before leaving (like get the fireplace going again because it was 14F [-10C] outside and 61F [16C] in the house). So i decided to let it continue charging while I did that, and then forgot to put it back on. And, of course, today was the day I was going to see if my treadmill calibration worked. BAH!

Read my report on today..... Technology is a blessing and a curse
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat I can't tell you how many runs I've abandoned because I forgot my Garmin! Haha! @ceciliaslater You could run a familiar route and guess. Pretend to be on a recon mission or something :wink:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    My running season is officially over and it looks like my 50k run will not happen.
    @Azercord - That is just *kitten*Take extra time to let it fully heal - take it slow when getting back out there

@sarahthes I thought you must live close to CC Lane. Great displays but the foot and car traffic can be hard to handle. I advoid driving into the area at this time of year if I go to Edmonton.

@skippygirlsmom Candy Cane Lane images

@PastorVincent Yes thats the cheapie energizer Headlamp that I use as my primary go to. I haven't seen the 3 packs in them for a while unfortunately. At that price point it's a pretty easy purchase. I put a dab of permanent marker on the very bottom of the lens to reduce the light that came down across my face. Personal modification.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    12/1-P90X CVX and yoga
    12/2-rest day
    12/3-8.3 miles
    12/4- P90X3 Warrior
    12/5-30 min strength training +20 min stationary bike
    12/6- 5.8 miles+ P90X3 Dynamix
    12/7-6.1 miles + 25 minutes strength
    12/8- P90X3 Synergistics

Last night's run was chilly and windy. I gave my new jacket (Asics Storm Shelter) a second shot and decided that I do indeed like it, but it will be best suited for runs exactly like last night-mid 20s with wind. It was a good wind breaker, but not extremely warm on its own and too tight for multiple layers. It has some reflective lines in the pattern that look pretty cool in the glow of headlights. My run though, was uneventful. Took about 2 miles to warm up with the wind and pace was a bit slow due to a combo of darkness and some slick spots on shoulders of the road.

Afterwards I drove to the gym for a session with my trainer. I am continuing to feel good about the improvements I am seeing on that front. We did a leg workout that was mostly plyometric with things like pistol jump squats and jump squats with resistance bands. She even commented on how much more limber my jumps looked. This morning I did the P90X3 Synergistics workout. This is definitely not the most challenging workout in the series, but I usually feel the burn. Today it felt rather easy. May be time to increase my weights. Yay for progress :)

Busy weekend ahead. Tonight my husband and I are going to dinner and a concert. Tomorrow morning I volunteer at the food pantry then we are going to the Christmas tree farm for our tree then to a holiday fair with a friend. Sunday I am going shopping and starting my holiday baking. Somewhere in there I will run. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Good luck to those that are racing!

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Another 4.1km done. It was cold and windy and really notice but I still went and I am glad that I did. Had had two non running days due to other commitments Mind you we did get lost when on our way to and from a meeting and ended up walking up and down a large hill for about 10km. Though not running it was a good workout for the calves given that everything is flat where I live.
    So Iam now over 18km and that feels good.
    I have some runs planned fo this weekend Not sure two shots or one long one yet. Monday and Tuesday will not be running days Maybe maybe wednesday,but that would be in the dark so very much weather dependent

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    On the head lamp discussion:
    I just found a really nice article / comparison / what to look for site:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Lights