December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    @rheddmobile I've had my Buff for two days and I'm already deeply in love with it! For some reason, my husband thought I'd picked out the regular microfiber, when I really wanted merino wool, but it's still wonderful. I really needed it today!

Glad I had all those exercise calories... dinner was a public supper with moosemeat chili and pumpkin pie. Mmmm....

I asked for one for Christmas. I am super excited to be able to use it like, you know, the two times a year it colds here. LOL. Great thing is I asked for one of the regular ones and I can use it to told my hair back or a headband too when I am dripping in sweat in the summer.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn got it...it's not so much to get the workout done, but to get the data in a way your coach can evaluate it easier.

yup. I'm overly cautious about making sure the data is correct.... probably because I'm the data collection/statistics person at school/

I do not have a coach currently, but I am the same way. Perhaps it is no coincidence that I have a degree in statistics :)
    And if I decide to go back for a D, it will probably involve educational statistics.

It is far more useful than all the advance calc and whatnot I took. That is for sure.

The former philosophy student in me is unsure whether to laugh or cry at the concept of relative usefulness as it relates to degrees. Considering Post-Secondary post Post-Secondary: The Great Existential Crises of our Time :D

I have multiple degrees, both undergrad and graduate - and very much doubt the usefulness of college in general. Trade schools and apprenticeships really should be the norm and college set aside as a niche case.

This. engineers at the mines here get paid less with their fancy degrees, than the heavy machine operators do, why?? Because we lack people with skills and have an overabundance of people with paper degrees.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have a question about running watches. I'll start by saying that a running watch is not really in my budget, especially a $500 watch. But with Christmas coming I have started thinking about getting one. I've seen the Garmin FR35 on Amazon for ~$160 looks pretty good to me and is a lot more practical for me then $500 or even $300. But I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it. Right now I have a Fitbit One which clips to my bra. (One of the main reasons I got it is that I don't usually wear a lot of jewelry and didn't want something on my wrist.) I track my runs using the Strava app on my phone and I have also tracked them with the Fitbit app so so far I have been fairly low tech. I would like to have a watch that I could track my runs and look at my pace as I run. The phone apps will give me my pace every half mile, but I'd like to be able to look at it at anytime during the run and see where my pace is and not have to wait for the prompt. Plus, sometimes I don't hear the voice prompt. I hear it, but don't always understand what she said.

The features I would really like to have in a running watch are: gps to track the run, ability to look at my pace during the run, heart rate would be nice (I have not used a HRM monitor before). I'm not really sure what else I would need as far as running goes.

As a watch, it would be nice to have text and email alerts. One thing that I do like about the FR35 is it seems a little smaller and I like the square face. I'm afraid some of the others would have a watch face that is larger than my wrist.

It seems to me that the FR35 would do all of the things I want. But I am a little afraid of spending a lot of money and then being disappointed in the features or lack of features. Has anyone used a FR35 before? I know it is not one of the "fanciest" watches out there, but is it a good beginner running watch. Or would I immediately start wishing for something else? I would like to have a running watch, but I do need to be considerate of the budget as I already need new shoes (again). So I am ok with getting a basic running watch as long as it isn't too basic and does what I want.

I use the FR25, which has pretty much the same features as the FR35 minus the HR. I love it. Yes it's fairly basic compared with other watches on the market, and it's not quite as pretty as the FR35. But it does everything I want it to do. GPS, pace, distance, alerts to let me know if I'm on pace (I'm usually behind), and text and email alerts. And then on Garmin connect I can look at cadence, mile splits and all the other data I love.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Okay, now I am freaking out about my marathon on Sunday. It is currently SNOWING. Seriously guys. Frozen *kitten* is falling from the sky and covering my car. Enough that I could write the word “snow”, in snow, on the freakin hood. All the local school districts are delaying tomorrow. People are freaking out.

Hell (AKA Central Texas) has officially frozen over. I almost died of hypothermia walking from work to my car. How am I supposed to run in this? I can totally solder through 100 degrees F.... but frozen fluffy stuff? Ewwwwww

@amymoreorless I was giggling reading this. I am just a couple of hours north of you and we got cold but none of the nonsense that you guys got. It will be fine. It will be 55-60 before Sunday, right? I am supposed to run a mile fun run and then a 5k tomorrow morning and not liking that it will be 30 degrees.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Okay, now I am freaking out about my marathon on Sunday. It is currently SNOWING. Seriously guys. Frozen *kitten* is falling from the sky and covering my car. Enough that I could write the word “snow”, in snow, on the freakin hood. All the local school districts are delaying tomorrow. People are freaking out.

Hell (AKA Central Texas) has officially frozen over. I almost died of hypothermia walking from work to my car. How am I supposed to run in this? I can totally solder through 100 degrees F.... but frozen fluffy stuff? Ewwwwww

was rereading and saw this. You'll be fine. If it's still "cold" dress for a warmer temp than you are expecting because you will get hot. Toy're in TX, so chances are that the snow will be gone be before your race. You got this!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    For my ultra running women friends here (ok guys too) my friend, ultra runner Rachel Bell Kelly, got into the WS 100 for this spring! I am thinking I may need to take a trek up to Squaw Valley to cheer her on and see her finish! I am so excited for her! If interested you can read her blog here - https://thwisp.wordpress.com/

YES! YES! and more YES! DO IT! Getting into WS 100 is HUGE! Tell her that she's amazing!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn got it...it's not so much to get the workout done, but to get the data in a way your coach can evaluate it easier.

yup. I'm overly cautious about making sure the data is correct.... probably because I'm the data collection/statistics person at school/

I do not have a coach currently, but I am the same way. Perhaps it is no coincidence that I have a degree in statistics :)
    And if I decide to go back for a D, it will probably involve educational statistics.

It is far more useful than all the advance calc and whatnot I took. That is for sure.

The former philosophy student in me is unsure whether to laugh or cry at the concept of relative usefulness as it relates to degrees. Considering Post-Secondary post Post-Secondary: The Great Existential Crises of our Time :D

I have multiple degrees, both undergrad and graduate - and very much doubt the usefulness of college in general. Trade schools and apprenticeships really should be the norm and college set aside as a niche case.

I've got a bachelors & masters and the MQ for my position is high school or GED. Glad I lucked out and only paid about 2k for all my education (thanks mom and dad for under grad & tuition reimbursement for masters)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Just got next week's schedule. Guess which day made me smile
    Monday: REST
    Tuesday: Trail Fartlek
    Wednesday: 1 hour Road Run
    Thursday: 1 hour trail run
    Friday Star Wars REST Day
    Saturday: Trail out and back 45minutes out turn around, retrace steps and try to return in 40 minutes
    Sunday 2 hour easy trail run.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Saturday: Trail out and back 45minutes out turn around, retrace steps and try to return in 40 minutes

I know! I know! MONDAY! Everyone knows how you love rest days and combining it with a Monday is perfect!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I know! I know! MONDAY! Everyone knows how you love rest days and combining it with a Monday is perfect!
    bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    @SusanDSME there no reason you couldn't have more than one buff! I think you should get that merino wool buff. I have 6 buffs at the moment. Some were free, some where cheap, all are used. I like to wear one (or two) and carry an extra so if one gets sweaty on a cold winter run, I can swap it out for a dry one. Same thing with a hat.

@kgirlhart If cost is an issue, look at the used market. I've bought three Garmins, all used. If you buy something used and find it's not what you want, you can often sell it for the same price you paid for it. I wait around to find killer deals and could actually make money selling mine.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I remember the Christmas tree last year!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    Dec   3     3.1        3.1 
    Dec   5     3.2T       6.3 
    Dec   8     3.5        9.8 

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your friend @shanaber ! I agree with @MNLittleFinn, gooooo!

@PastorVincent I very much agree given that, once I got out of college, I worked in the tax law division of SE and I made literally less than a third of what Ben makes and he has his red seal (and no student debt since the AB government basically pays you to go into the trades) for a trade fairly unrelated to pipelining. So his foresight is far superior to mine :D . If we had boys that's the way I would push for them to go frankly.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    I can't get off the Dicks email list so maybe I need the app
    When taken completely out of context...

Consequences of 4 hours of sleep
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a favorite winter sock recommendation? I've been wearing short socks and now that it's almost freezing the strip between the bottom of my socks and my tights is getting cold.