December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I ordered a garmin vivoactive 3 last night.

My tomtom screen went out from my careless taking it off/tossing it on the counter/hitting and breaking a porcelain rimg holder. Oops. I'm still not 100% sure how I managed that. Anyway, was going to order a new TomTom but I have a feeling they are getting out of the market.

I looked at the fitbit ionic and samsung gear 3 but only garmin appears to easily sync to nike with *most* od my run data from over the years (except that time I used runkeeper for a while then just fitbit then went back to nike lol)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    5 miles for me last night. I planned on 8. I had slight knee pain the first mile which then went away. This has been typical lately. Something told me not to go my normal 8 mile route (which is actually 9.2) and instead, I did loops around the neighborhood in case my knee acted up, I wouldn't have to walk as far to get home.

At 1.67 miles per loop I did the math as I ran. 3 loops = 5 miles...oh what the heck, let's go 6 loops for 10 miles, I'm feeling great and Kody sure wouldn't mind.

On the third loops my knee started feeling like there was something going on. Not pain, but maybe a swelling. It started feeling thicker, if that makes sense. As I finished that last block I decided to call it a night, ice it and pop some pills.

I went inside, fed Kody and then noticed my knee felt just fine. WTH? I contemplated going back out for another 3 loops but thought better of it.

This weekend, not sure which day, I have a 16 mile run planned. My knee isnt ready for trails yet, and I don't want 16 miles of pavement, so I'll be taking a short drive to some gravel roads nearby.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent the Dick's sporting good app...I've never heard of it but I'll definitely check into it! Rewards for running? That kind of makes you a professional runner, does it not?

Well, it is rewards points on their rewards card. After you earn so many points they send you a store money to spend. So like I just got $10 from it. I use it to help reduce the cost of this "cheap and simple hobby" we have :)

Every 10k steps is 3 points so even just walking around earns some but running makes it easy.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Why not just ignore the buzz on your watch after that first interval mile and keep up the pace for the second mile, then reset your watch? Since it was a 1 mile turn around you wouldn't even have to look at your watch or wait for a buzz to single the end of 2 miles...you already knew where it was.
    It's for split tracking for my coach. Garmin automatically sends the data to the coaching program, so the data wouldn't have matched up withther splits the watch shows, because it was set on a programmed run. I'm no good at remembering times/distances for the splits, so i preprogram workouts and thr watch follows the workout.... which I programmed wrong.....ugh... that word salad I just typed make sense?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn got it...it's not so much to get the workout done, but to get the data in a way your coach can evaluate it easier.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn got it...it's not so much to get the workout done, but to get the data in a way your coach can evaluate it easier.

yup. I'm overly cautious about making sure the data is correct.... probably because I'm the data collection/statistics person at school/
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!
    12/2 - 5 miles.
    12/3 - Busy / rest day.
    12/4 - 5.15 miles. This weather is nuts! It was 63° at 4:45 a.m.
    12/5 - 4.75 miles. 35° temperature drop in 24 hours...Brrr!
    12/6 - 3.5 'mill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    12/7 - Unplanned rest day. Didn't sleep...ZZZZZ
    12/8 - 3.5 on the treadmill, then weights and abs.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options

yup. I'm overly cautious about making sure the data is correct.... probably because I'm the data collection/statistics person at school/

I do not have a coach currently, but I am the same way. Perhaps it is no coincidence that I have a degree in statistics :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent the Dick's sporting good app...I've never heard of it but I'll definitely check into it! Rewards for running? That kind of makes you a professional runner, does it not?

Well, it is rewards points on their rewards card. After you earn so many points they send you a store money to spend. So like I just got $10 from it. I use it to help reduce the cost of this "cheap and simple hobby" we have :)

Every 10k steps is 3 points so even just walking around earns some but running makes it easy.

I should look into this app. I apparentlynhave a Dicks rewards card from when Sports Authority closed. I can't get off the Dicks email list so maybe I need the app
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I do not have a coach currently, but I am the same way. Perhaps it is no coincidence that I have a degree in statistics :)
    And if I decide to go back for a D, it will probably involve educational statistics.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

And if I decide to go back for a D, it will probably involve educational statistics.

It is far more useful than all the advance calc and whatnot I took. That is for sure.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I should look into this app. I apparentlynhave a Dicks rewards card from when Sports Authority closed. I can't get off the Dicks email list so maybe I need the app

:lol::lol:
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 3.1
    12/2 - rest day
    12/3 - 3.1
    12/4 - 3.1
    12/5 - 3.25
    12/6 - 3.25
    12/7 - 2
    12/8 Unwanted rest day!

I was kind of sore after I ran yesterday, and this morning my left hip just plain hurt. My trainer said to rest today and do hip stretches. I'm grumpy because it's a nice, sunny day, & not too cold... and I don't know how many more of those we have left this season!
    It also means there is no way in hell I'm making 10,000 steps today.
    Strange as it is to say, I hope I can get some sprints in tomorrow.

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    12/8 - 4 mile run

Skipped my usual long warm up and cool down bc of temp and just walked as needed which was a lot bc my asthma hates the cold dry air. So 12:30 pace for 4 miles except Strava says more like 11:45 bc I stopped a few times dealing with water pouring from my eyes and nose :p

It was 19 feels like 12 when I left. Warmed up 8 degrees while I was out. 1 pair of tights, 2 thin shirts, hat & gloves. My face only felt cold once briefly - the wind must've picked up for a moment. Otherwise it wasn't windy and I didn't mind the cold except for asthma.

I'll have to look into the Dick's app. We only have Academy here but there's online! I get Walgreens points from my fitbit. Never think about it but they add up over time and it's nice.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    I have a question about running watches. I'll start by saying that a running watch is not really in my budget, especially a $500 watch. But with Christmas coming I have started thinking about getting one. I've seen the Garmin FR35 on Amazon for ~$160 looks pretty good to me and is a lot more practical for me then $500 or even $300. But I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it. Right now I have a Fitbit One which clips to my bra. (One of the main reasons I got it is that I don't usually wear a lot of jewelry and didn't want something on my wrist.) I track my runs using the Strava app on my phone and I have also tracked them with the Fitbit app so so far I have been fairly low tech. I would like to have a watch that I could track my runs and look at my pace as I run. The phone apps will give me my pace every half mile, but I'd like to be able to look at it at anytime during the run and see where my pace is and not have to wait for the prompt. Plus, sometimes I don't hear the voice prompt. I hear it, but don't always understand what she said.

The features I would really like to have in a running watch are: gps to track the run, ability to look at my pace during the run, heart rate would be nice (I have not used a HRM monitor before). I'm not really sure what else I would need as far as running goes.

As a watch, it would be nice to have text and email alerts. One thing that I do like about the FR35 is it seems a little smaller and I like the square face. I'm afraid some of the others would have a watch face that is larger than my wrist.

It seems to me that the FR35 would do all of the things I want. But I am a little afraid of spending a lot of money and then being disappointed in the features or lack of features. Has anyone used a FR35 before? I know it is not one of the "fanciest" watches out there, but is it a good beginner running watch. Or would I immediately start wishing for something else? I would like to have a running watch, but I do need to be considerate of the budget as I already need new shoes (again). So I am ok with getting a basic running watch as long as it isn't too basic and does what I want.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I FORGOT MY GARMIN, GUYS. HOW CAN I RUN TODAY??? Plugged it in to the charger this morning as always, but I had a couple extra things I had to do before leaving (like get the fireplace going again because it was 14F [-10C] outside and 61F [16C] in the house). So i decided to let it continue charging while I did that, and then forgot to put it back on. And, of course, today was the day I was going to see if my treadmill calibration worked. BAH!

[sulking] Guess I'll just manually log my run like it's the stone age...[/sulking]

Did you really run if you didn't have your Garmin?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have a question about running watches. I'll start by saying that a running watch is not really in my budget, especially a $500 watch. But with Christmas coming I have started thinking about getting one. I've seen the Garmin FR35 on Amazon for ~$160 looks pretty good to me and is a lot more practical for me then $500 or even $300. But I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it. Right now I have a Fitbit One which clips to my bra. (One of the main reasons I got it is that I don't usually wear a lot of jewelry and didn't want something on my wrist.) I track my runs using the Strava app on my phone and I have also tracked them with the Fitbit app so so far I have been fairly low tech. I would like to have a watch that I could track my runs and look at my pace as I run. The phone apps will give me my pace every half mile, but I'd like to be able to look at it at anytime during the run and see where my pace is and not have to wait for the prompt. Plus, sometimes I don't hear the voice prompt. I hear it, but don't always understand what she said.

The features I would really like to have in a running watch are: gps to track the run, ability to look at my pace during the run, heart rate would be nice (I have not used a HRM monitor before). I'm not really sure what else I would need as far as running goes.

As a watch, it would be nice to have text and email alerts. One thing that I do like about the FR35 is it seems a little smaller and I like the square face. I'm afraid some of the others would have a watch face that is larger than my wrist.

It seems to me that the FR35 would do all of the things I want. But I am a little afraid of spending a lot of money and then being disappointed in the features or lack of features. Has anyone used a FR35 before? I know it is not one of the "fanciest" watches out there, but is it a good beginner running watch. Or would I immediately start wishing for something else? I would like to have a running watch, but I do need to be considerate of the budget as I already need new shoes (again). So I am ok with getting a basic running watch as long as it isn't too basic and does what I want.

I have the Garmin 935 and have not used the FR35 at all, but watching the "getting start" video on

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/552962#additional

Makes it seem like it has the basics pretty well covered. 9 hours of activity tracking means you get Marathon length races covered and still have power left to use the watch that day. You probably will have to charge it once every 4 or 5 days, which is not horrible.

So on paper, it seems like a good choice.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

It is far more useful than all the advance calc and whatnot I took. That is for sure.

The former philosophy student in me is unsure whether to laugh or cry at the concept of relative usefulness as it relates to degrees. Considering Post-Secondary post Post-Secondary: The Great Existential Crises of our Time :D
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

The former philosophy student in me is unsure whether to laugh or cry at the concept of relative usefulness as it relates to degrees. Considering Post-Secondary post Post-Secondary: The Great Existential Crises of our Time :D

I have multiple degrees, both undergrad and graduate - and very much doubt the usefulness of college in general. Trade schools and apprenticeships really should be the norm and college set aside as a niche case.