Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse love the dresses, especially the Doctor Who one! I want to go re-watch some favorite episodes now! I haven't thought about that show in a while.

I also have this one: http://www.planetretro.co.nz/store/p203/Doctor_Who_"Exploding_Tardis"_-_Audrey_Dress.html

And this print in the same style as the Nightmare before Christmas dress: http://www.planetretro.co.nz/store/p202/Doctor_Who_"Across_Time_&_Space"_Tardis_-_Audrey_Dress.html

So cute! I love love the exploding tardis dress! I need to find one.

These are made for this store, but they will probably ship internationally. Their sizing is hella flattering too, cos vintage patterns. I'm as XS. My Exploding Tardis one is really roomy, though is meant to be worn as a looser fit I think.

Vintage sizing would be a lot smaller than modern. I collect (and use) vintage patterns. UK to vintage is two sizes difference (and so alarmingly 4 sizes with US). If you're anything above a 28" waist you're probably going to be grading patterns that are vintage.

Also, I concur on the jandals, anything with a toe post, what are those people's feet made of that they don't destroy them!?

Yeah, see I thought that about the sizing too, but that's what they say. I think it's kind of dumb to have someone my size as the smallest size you cater for, but hey...like obviously I'm small, but I'm not extra small.

I strongly suspect they're fibbing. Those are also not patterns you'd see, they're very much modern shapes, at a push maybe 90s. And even then, sizing was still smaller than in the 90s. I have no doubt if I still had my size 10 jeans from back then (thank the heavens I don't) I wouldn't be getting a calf let alone a whole leg into them!

Edit to add: there's a repro company here who do use vintage sizing. Online they sell by measurements, in the shop they have size labels. A lot of women get right miffed when they have to buy in store or receive a garment two sizes bigger than they think they are.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse love the dresses, especially the Doctor Who one! I want to go re-watch some favorite episodes now! I haven't thought about that show in a while.

I also have this one: http://www.planetretro.co.nz/store/p203/Doctor_Who_"Exploding_Tardis"_-_Audrey_Dress.html

And this print in the same style as the Nightmare before Christmas dress: http://www.planetretro.co.nz/store/p202/Doctor_Who_"Across_Time_&_Space"_Tardis_-_Audrey_Dress.html

These are made for this store, but they will probably ship internationally. Their sizing is hella flattering too, cos vintage patterns. I'm as XS. My Exploding Tardis one is really roomy, though is meant to be worn as a looser fit I think.

Vintage sizing would be a lot smaller than modern. I collect (and use) vintage patterns. UK to vintage is two sizes difference (and so alarmingly 4 sizes with US). If you're anything above a 28" waist you're probably going to be grading patterns that are vintage.

Also, I concur on the jandals, anything with a toe post, what are those people's feet made of that they don't destroy them!?

They are flip flops here and I loathe them. I wear them... this isn't joking ... to cross the street from our hotel to the beach and back again ... when we're on vacation. That's it. And it's only because they're cheap and the sand washes off.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Yeah, see I thought that about the sizing too, but that's what they say. I think it's kind of dumb to have someone my size as the smallest size you cater for, but hey...like obviously I'm small, but I'm not extra small.

I strongly suspect they're fibbing. Those are also not patterns you'd see, they're very much modern shapes, at a push maybe 90s. And even then, sizing was still smaller than in the 90s. I have no doubt if I still had my size 10 jeans from back then (thank the heavens I don't) I wouldn't be getting a calf let alone a whole leg into them!

Ah, see, sizing here was the opposite. I have size 12 dresses bought early '90s that would absolutely be sold as 10s now. I think this was done to bring us in line with Aus. Or something. I may or may not have my awesome purple jeans still. They were a 10, and I highly doubt I could get them done up now, at least if I didn't want to cut off circulation to my lower body!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

They are flip flops here and I loathe them. I wear them... this isn't joking ... to cross the street from our hotel to the beach and back again ... when we're on vacation. That's it. And it's only because they're cheap and the sand washes off.

I was going to suck it up and buy some the other week, for something easy if I'm wandering around outside at work (hot asphalt) or at home (occasional prickles in grass), but also because my skin doesn't entirely agree with shoes and socks in summer. Luckily I was able to find a pair of cheap(ish) strappy sandals instead that I actually don't hate. These I can also wear at times other than the above and not have to feel like I'm curling my toes to hold the damn things on. I'm not good with flat shoes in general, unless they're Doc's, Chuck T's, or running shoes.

I was made to wear jandals for a while as a child because my second toes overlapped my big toes, I think this is part of my hatred.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    There was some epic Twitter kittenry yesterday with lchf fanatics amidst a showdown between Tim Noakes and Alan Aragon.

It all started because the BJSM has been taken over by zealots who apparently think the amount of followers you have is meaningful data.

Ha, yes. I witnessed it in real time. Noakes quoted me in response to my tweet to someone else that brought up insulin out of nowhere when he was "disgusted" with Alan's reply to Tim. Then I ended up having a circular debate with Noakes because he's equating the concept of "high carb diets" to packaged/refined treats, where my argument is that his definition should be the forefront of context when he's using that term because I have yet to see the case where fruit and vegetable carbs alone caused insulin resistance if they were in a eucaloric or hypocaloric state.

ETA: This was also the root cause of my paper writing procrastination :tongue:

Oh, now I have to go back and read it in full.

Because my *favorite* LCHF strawman is high carb = packaged/refined treats

The entire LCHF narrative is goal post shifting and strawmanning the hell out of rebuttals. Tim said that humans are exposed to "high carb" since CONCEPTION... that sounds truly difficult.

6ngzd7jf5gf5.png
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    There was some epic Twitter kittenry yesterday with lchf fanatics amidst a showdown between Tim Noakes and Alan Aragon.

It all started because the BJSM has been taken over by zealots who apparently think the amount of followers you have is meaningful data.

Ha, yes. I witnessed it in real time. Noakes quoted me in response to my tweet to someone else that brought up insulin out of nowhere when he was "disgusted" with Alan's reply to Tim. Then I ended up having a circular debate with Noakes because he's equating the concept of "high carb diets" to packaged/refined treats, where my argument is that his definition should be the forefront of context when he's using that term because I have yet to see the case where fruit and vegetable carbs alone caused insulin resistance if they were in a eucaloric or hypocaloric state.

ETA: This was also the root cause of my paper writing procrastination :tongue:

Oh, now I have to go back and read it in full.

Because my *favorite* LCHF strawman is high carb = packaged/refined treats

The entire LCHF narrative is goal post shifting and strawmanning the hell out of rebuttals. Tim said that humans are exposed to "high carb" since CONCEPTION... that sounds truly difficult.

6ngzd7jf5gf5.png

I. can't. even.

Trufax. I low carbed (moderately low, no starches, but ate berries) through my last pregnancy. Just veg, dairy, and meat (was still a meat eater then).

But see, then there's that pesky breast milk thing. That stuff is just brimming with da ebil sugarz.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @anubis609 Well, I mean, if you're going to be picky and expect people to define terms and such..

So I guess American fetuses are showing evidence of exposure to Doritos and Frosted Flakes? Weird.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I had to come back to this because....

Okay, my poor little fetus is exposed to da ebil carbs.

After the little darling is born I, being a good mom, feed him/her a healthy diet.

Say the kid grows up to be a health nut and keeps eating a well balanced diet.

According to our good friend Tim there, too bad, so sad, he was exposed in utero to da ebil carbs, so he/she is doomed to have insulin resistance no matter what and will just HAVE to eat low carb because reasons.

Do I have this BS straight?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Hearing about all this delicious fruit in the middle of a Minnesota winter is making my eyes water! Although at least clementines are back in season, which are a big favorite of mine.

25289614_10155986324025908_7472022942215448057_n.jpg?oh=1c74ad442e09a061fbe46e154eff0b6d&oe=5AD4DAC6

Do you know, I didn't have pavlova. Actually, it would be more accurate to say I don't remember having pavlova because my memory is fooked so I might have done and not know.

You need to come back then.

de12b1hz8bhc.jpg

Jandals (which I hate with a firey passion).

I had to Google what Jandals were, I've never heard that term. I live in thongs (flipflops) pretty much year round, I even take my walks in them. I don't even own a pair of sneakers :open_mouth:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

After the little darling is born I, being a good mom, feed him/her a healthy diet.

According to our good friend Tim there, too bad, so sad, he was exposed in utero to da ebil carbs, so he/she is doomed to have insulin resistance no matter what and will just HAVE to eat low carb because reasons.

So I can blame my mother?? (not that I have IR, but, y'know, if I did it's clearly her fault)

Speaking of mother, I just found a pair of trousers that were hers in my search for the purple jeans (which I obviously finally gave up on at some point). Genuine 60s, she had them around the time my parents got married, when she was 18. They fit, though way tight around my upper legs, I guess women in the 60s didn't have quads. I should probably not tell her this. I always loved them, though even if they did fit comfortably probably wouldn't wear b/c I just can't do high waists.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    And no answers for me.... The Dr is less interested in my hormone levels at the moment, and more concerned with my blood panels. Apparently I have to be bleeding from somewhere, and she's surprised I haven't noticed anything in terms of blood loss, or fatigue, or dizziness etc. I have a referral for endoscopy/colonoscopy, but due to not having private health insurance it could take a while to see someone.

That sucks! I've been in a similar situation and the message of "hey--you likely have internal bleeding that could have serious side effects and health implications, but just keep bleeding for months while you wait for an appointment so you can start finding out what's going on." :neutral:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

Hearing about all this delicious fruit in the middle of a Minnesota winter is making my eyes water! Although at least clementines are back in season, which are a big favorite of mine.

25289614_10155986324025908_7472022942215448057_n.jpg?oh=1c74ad442e09a061fbe46e154eff0b6d&oe=5AD4DAC6

Do you know, I didn't have pavlova. Actually, it would be more accurate to say I don't remember having pavlova because my memory is fooked so I might have done and not know.

You need to come back then.

de12b1hz8bhc.jpg

Jandals (which I hate with a firey passion).

I had to Google what Jandals were, I've never heard that term. I live in thongs (flipflops) pretty much year round, I even take my walks in them. I don't even own a pair of sneakers :open_mouth:

I hadn’t heard that term either. I’m the opposite when it comes to shoes - I wear boots 100% of the time in winter and probably 80% of the time in summer, not counting when I’m working out. I used to wear heels to work maybe a third of the time, but stopped when I started getting knee twinges and now it’s boots all the way down. I just ordered some Keds to wear for circuit training instead of going barefoot, bringing my exercise shoe count up to three including my running shoes and the old running shoes I use to walk in outdoors when there isn’t snow on the ground. This seems like a lot of shoes just for exercise, but I’ll definitely use them all.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

We call them flipflops too but can interchange with jandal 'cos I lived there innit. It's the stuff all up in my toes I can't do. I have tried. Because cheap. But no. I love a sandal, I just don't love, or should I say my cripplingly sore between toes don't love a flipflop.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    @livingleanlivingclean - As long as the machine is calibrated and you are coming in at right time - very accurate.

When a unit on truck drives up to the gym for free or cheap readings, or a mall - be wary.

They know full well that if people hadn't planned - they are invalid readings - no food for at minimum 4 hrs, longer is better because if still digesting food - you are expiring CO2 purely for that reason, not only the metabolizing of fuel. And no working out day prior is better too - no higher metabolism dealing with repair or replenishment.

So going to gym for free/cheap readings means they know they are bad - and likely haven't calibrated their unit, or are about to and want to get some final money in before that process.

I wouldn't trust a place like that even if they did just do the process and I'm first the next morning. Who knows what other sloppy stuff they'll be doing?

Now, if gym required signup and gave you sheet for what was required of you - eh, maybe. I'd still ask if they ever went to the mall or some corp business office and ran spur-the-moment tests for people.

Mine has always been at the start of a VO2max test, so sitting not reclining, and 5 min not 15, and tons of wires hanging off body instead of just nice face mask. But I calm down quick, if HR is indication, so I figure pretty decent even if not true RMR.
    And since at hospital heart unit - very immovable unit.

Good to know. I had mine done before my VO2 max as well and they were quite firm on the instructions about eating, drinking and exercising beforehand when I set up the appointment. They talked about how the calibrate the machines. I had it done at the campus's fitness lab. Interestingly enough, my RMR was 25% higher than the average for my age, gender, weight and height. I wonder how that intersects with my hypothyroidism.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

So I can blame my mother?? (not that I have IR, but, y'know, if I did it's clearly her fault)

Speaking of mother, I just found a pair of trousers that were hers in my search for the purple jeans (which I obviously finally gave up on at some point). Genuine 60s, she had them around the time my parents got married, when she was 18. They fit, though way tight around my upper legs, I guess women in the 60s didn't have quads. I should probably not tell her this. I always loved them, though even if they did fit comfortably probably wouldn't wear b/c I just can't do high waists.

I am ALL about the high waist. Not in a 90s mom jeans way though. Hence my not being in the least bit sad to have nothing of my youthful fashion endeavors in my possession.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    So question, probably ridiculous, but what the hell. My body temperature (core temperature?) is around 97.5. Does being about a degree below average have any significant impact on BMR? I'm always cold, but I've been that way my whole adult life no matter what my weight, so I'm not sure that would apply.

I read an article a few years ago by some guy who figured the reason we're getting fatter is because civilization has made us too warm. He was advocating going without a coat in winter, sleeping naked with no covers (you'll get used to it!), cold showers, keeping the house temperature cold, stuff like that to speed up the metabolism. According to him, being cold all the time would keep you naturally lean. At the time I actually believed his story, and I still figured if the trade for being thin was spending my life in freezing hell, I'd live with fat, thank you very much. :o

I am like that, too. I'm usually around 97. My doctors have massive notes in my files because even a slight (100-101) fever for a "normal" person could be much more serious for me. I never thought about it in relation to metabolism. ***Sees 25% higher RMR disappearing before her eyes ... :lol:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I am ALL about the high waist. Not in a 90s mom jeans way though. Hence my not being in the least bit sad to have nothing of my youthful fashion endeavors in my possession.

They are pretty cool, and if my thighs weren't so fat (jks) I probably would wear them. The label is too faded to make out a size, but I could make out the word 'sportswear' and laughed, cos I can't even lift my thigh parallel in them. They have no give whatsoever. They're very Audrey Hepburn, and I <3 all things Audrey.

The purple jeans were also high waisted, which is the thing I did not love about them. Jeans must sit on my hips.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    A couple of thoughts come to mind from this...

1. The "2 day refeed with lots of carbs" is very consistent with my personal experience.

2. We see this all the time on MFP - people are terrible at figuring out their actual maintenance calories when they are outside the normal healthy body fat zones. In actual practice, most people who are (say) 20% overweight (technically obese) will use the usual calculators to figure out maintenance and end up eating at a meaningful caloric surplus instead.