• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.32min, 134mhr, 11.9amph. 1.4mi= 96c
    apple watch- 62c
    *new* HELIX Machine- 20min, 134mhr, lvl1, 1.85mi = 138c
    apple watch- 131c
    floor exerc- 18.22min, 3 sets of 10ea, hamstring leglifts, push-ups, 2 sets of 10ea, all 4's elbow to knee, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, pelvic lifts, pelvic one leg lifts crunches, sit-ups on butt-knees to chest 133mhr = 82c
    apple watch- 105c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.56min, 14.4amph, 127mhr, 1.4mi= 51c
    apple watch- 49c
    RIDE BIKE PUY 2 SUMN STA- 16.34min, 146mhr, 11amph, 3mi= 155c
    apple watch- 117c
    walk sta 2 wk- 9.25min, 114mhr, 3.3ap., .5mi= 52c
    apple watch- 50c
    walk wk 2 sta- 8.25min, 3.6ap, 120mhr, .5mi = 50c
    apple watch- 51c
    bike ride dome to hm- 18.16in, 7.9amph, 149mhr, 2.4mi = 183c
    apple watch- 142c

total cal 813
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Karen - I do try to simplify my life wherever possible. In order to write my books I have always had to be sparing with commitments. I hate to get frazzled and overwhelmed and need space between commitments. I need a lot of "down time". I know my limitations and I am good at saying no. It does mean I lead a somewhat "underpowered" life, but stress does not suit me. I can be the life and soul of the party for a short while, but then I need to get back in my shell. I think it is important to know yourself. As for the news, I do keep in touch with what is going on, but try not to dwell on things I cannot change. The serenity prayer comes to mind. I do prefer these days not to watch films and programmes with gratuitous violence, and/or nasty people in them. We have given up all "soaps". I will watch a drama if it is well written and I trust the writer to have their heart in the right place. We don't watch a lot things on TV if we think they have the wrong values.
    Balance is a very good word for 2018. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

We're very similar.

My husband and I don't have a lot of social commitments ... we're very selective about what we do, and will choose things like going to the symphony over going to a party with a lot of people and drama.

Also a few years ago, we got sick of the violence in so many of the shows on TV (especially the various American drama series), that we actually talked and decided to stick to show of a much milder nature. So we will watch shows like the Great British Bake-off (which sadly hasn't been on for a while), and our mystery dramas are things like Poirot and Father Brown ... the old fashioned whodunit style. :) My last show in the evenings is Bargain Hunt and if it isn't on, I turn the TV off and listen to quiet music. :)

The other night we started to watch a new Sherlock Holmes movie they had on TV thinking that if it was Sherlock Holmes, it should be good ... it was so violent and weird, we turned it off halfway through and put on Christmas music!!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Question about the picture Becca put up about the headaches. I know it was supposed to be funny but where they have the migraine, tension and other headache, are they accurate? Where they have the migraine shown is exactly where I have a lot of headaches. Also the one at th base of my neck.

I get base of the neck headaches when I'm dehydrated.

But from this, my headaches are usually sinus or TMJ ...

020816-RMD-types-of-headaches-01.png

• Machka9
    Options
    Speaking of news ... you know you live on an island when ...

You start receiving news bulletins on FB about the 3.5 metre shark spotted off the coast. :grin:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Aren't Grandchildren just the best?

Lanette - Work is .....interesting? Today I was called an angel and a b**ch in the space of 5min. I think some people need a lesson in what this season is about.
    DD ordered the ancestry kit for me to give to Larry. I am still waiting and starting to worry. I don't have a back up plan.
    One of the advantages of working with very young people is they usually don't want to discuss news with you. Fashion, fitness and flames. Maybe the latest hockey game.

Karen - I usually have a week break from all technology at least 2x per year. This is in addition to the times we are camping/fishing. I also no longer feel the need to read the paper and watch the news daily.

I am so looking forward to 2 days in a row off , that will be the 25th and 26th. This has been my hardest year at work yet. I think that is a sure sign that I am ready to retire. I have a very long list of things to keep me occupied. On the list is the senior's centre that I paid a year's membership to and have yet to darken their doors.

A lot of putting out fires at work today. Teaching cashiers how to treat customers and customers how to treat cashiers. You do not get to call these young girls and guys names because we do not have the hot toy in stock. Why would they lie to you? If we had them we would gladly sell them. Only kicked 2 people out of the store this morning. Both women. I did have a nice visit with the police this morning about the "gentleman" they arrested in the store last night.

"Let the Bells ring out and the Banners fly. It's too good to be true" My sister actually came to a movie with us. I think only because my DBIL didn't want to be a 3rd wheel. He had mentioned that he wanted to see "Wonder" so we invited him to go with us. She said she actually enjoyed it and why didn't we do more things together. Is she kidding me? I will never understand her and for my sanity I should just stop trying.

Wrapped a few things tonight. Sat with my cup of tea and enjoyed the Christmas tree lights. Tomorrow after work and a nap I will pick up Greysyn for shopping and supper. We have been doing this since he was about 3. Sunday will be Keira's turn.

Time for bed is long past
    Sharon in Lethbridge where it didn't snow but did rain.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    M in Oz My favorite T.V. show is on the travel station called Mysteries at the Museum. They have a marathon of them on Thursdays here. Now that I turn off the T.V. at 8. It works for me because I can watch the 7-8 show. They do a quick overview of the location of the museum. They mention a few artifacts. Then they focus on one that will prompt a story that involves the artifact. A few of the stories are out there, but by and large they are interesting and entertaining. They cover about 4-5 stories an episode. One of my favorites was when Napoleon got attacked by rabbits. My other favorite is when they covered the first Olympic marathon in the 1904 in St. Louis. On our recent trip I found the artifact they used in the show at the Missouri Historical Society.

I too like Poirot and the older episodes of Father Brown. I like show that have British humor in them too. My sister and I used to talk about the British version of a story and an American version. We liked how the British versions often use great British character actors. Miss my sister.

I know it will take time to straightened out my sleep habits. I am already seeing progress. The scariest thing that has come out of reading Why We Sleep is how many people are driving sleep deprived. It is worse than drunk driving in many situations. As bad as drunk driving is you still have some reflexes left to put on the brake. In sleep deprivation you don't even put on the brakes because your mind is asleep. I think that is what might have happened last year in that school parking lot where my new car was almost totaled by a driver who flew through it at 40 MPH before he hit a chain link fence. Another reason to avoid trucks is most of the drivers are sleep deprived. Drive safe out there and drive defensive.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Options
    @margaretturk ... that show sounds interesting. It would be something I'd watch. :)

Here in Australia, there's a big thing about getting enough rest to drive. There are signs up along the road, and volunteer groups set themselves up in rest areas to serve free coffee and biscuits to drivers, and to give them a chance to get of the road, stretch, nap if they need to etc. It doesn't always help, but maybe helps a little bit.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Saturday --

Today was the first day of cherry picking. All the effort put into growing comes down to the next 6 - 8 weeks of picking, packing, and selling. They had a small crew in and it went well.

Meanwhile, I cleaned the house and installed some hooks on my front windows so we can hang Christmas lights. Unfortunately a few didn't "take" so I'll have to try to finish that tomorrow.

Then I went out for a 5K run ... 5.2 km. I did it a little bit faster than last week and it felt all right. Although one hill just about killed me. I thought about slowing up and walking it, but just kept running all the way to the top. I'm thinking next week, I might try for 6 km.

When I got home, my husband had arrived home so he drove me out to a nearby flatter town, and I went for a 15 km bicycle ride. That was much easier than the run!

And we followed it up by going out for Indian food. We've been talking about doing that for a few weeks now, but have run out of time each time the idea comes up ... today, we made it. I had the dhal.

We've been multicultural with our dinners this weekend ... paella at the Friday street food festival and dhal with rice and naan tonight. :)

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Margaret - thank you for the information on sleep deprivation. I generally drive a few miles in I-5 when I go to town- it's the major north/south interstate that runs thru California, Oregon and Washington. Even in the short distance I travel, I see trucks weaving in and out of lanes quite often - I thought they were distracted by cellphones perhaps but I'll bet it is sleep deprivation. I stay behind them or get around them as quickly as I can.

We also like Mysteries at the Museum and any of the explorer/investigative type shows. When we could get the main channels, we would watch Deadliest Catch. I'm back to watching Netflix on the tablet when DH is watching MMA fights. I just watched the third season of Broadchurch, finished the second season of Stranger Things (very good!), and have started watching Midsomer Murders. There are so many good British and Canadian and Australian? mysteries like Dr. Blake.

Machka - there are "coffee stops" similar to yours set up on I-5 in the rest areas with hot drinks and cookies. Different organizations sign up for shifts as a money maker - as I understand it, the coffee and snacks are no charge but donations are welcome. By the way, I love hearing about your meals and runs and rides. Indian food sounds so yummy! I grabbed that headache chart you posted and will email it over to a friend. Knock wood, since I've been using a teensy dab of magical green cream rubbed on the back of my neck when I go to bed at night and putting a warm rice sock back there in the crook of my neck, I haven't woken with a neck/tension headache in several days now and only once with a mild sinus headache. So nice to get 7 or more hours of sleep at night for a change.

Barbie - please tell us again when and how you got involved in line dancing. What a great way to spend time getting exercise and having fun!

Sharon - have you had the ancestry research done on yourself? I am interested but wonder how accurate it is when sibling's results come up different. I have studied genetics a little and it doesn't make sense to me 2 children having the exact same parents come up with different percentages of where the ancestors hailed from. I can see different traits such as hair and eye color due to dominant and recessive genes. Generally it isn't a huge difference among siblings, but still! I need to go to the 23 and me website and read their explanation again. If anyone here understands it and can explain it - I would appreciate it.

That being said, I think there is a health component which costs extra but may explain why we might be prone to food allergies and weight distribution/body composition, certain diseases..... now, that's intriguing to me.

Have a good Sunday!

Lanette
    Drizzly and warmer SW WA State

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I like to feel I am informed about what is going on in the world and what are the issues of the day. It is my civic duty to educate myself so I can make informed choices when it comes to voting. .. You can't leave politics to the bad people. It gives me some sense of autonomy and power, however small, to keep informed about world affairs and try to make a difference by adding my voice. I care deeply about the fate of ordinary people far away and feel linked to them as much as I do to citizens of my own country.
    Here endeth the lesson. :laugh:

Heather - exactly! Not trying to guilt anyone else into doing so, but it's important TO ME that I listen to both sides of a given subject and vote my conscience. When I detach from the news (and I've done so more than once in the past), I don't feel I can vote with any sense of voting for the person who will fight for what I choose to support.

Lisa in NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Margaret - thank you for the information on sleep deprivation. I generally drive a few miles in I-5 when I go to town- it's the major north/south interstate that runs thru California, Oregon and Washington. Even in the short distance I travel, I see trucks weaving in and out of lanes quite often - I thought they were distracted by cellphones perhaps but I'll bet it is sleep deprivation. I stay behind them or get around them as quickly as I can.

We also like Mysteries at the Museum and any of the explorer/investigative type shows. When we could get the main channels, we would watch Deadliest Catch. I'm back to watching Netflix on the tablet when DH is watching MMA fights. I just watched the third season of Broadchurch, finished the second season of Stranger Things (very good!), and have started watching Midsomer Murders. There are so many good British and Canadian and Australian? mysteries like Dr. Blake.

Machka - there are "coffee stops" similar to yours set up on I-5 in the rest areas with hot drinks and cookies. Different organizations sign up for shifts as a money maker - as I understand it, the coffee and snacks are no charge but donations are welcome. By the way, I love hearing about your meals and runs and rides. Indian food sounds so yummy! I grabbed that headache chart you posted and will email it over to a friend. Knock wood, since I've been using a teensy dab of magical green cream rubbed on the back of my neck when I go to bed at night and putting a warm rice sock back there in the crook of my neck, I haven't woken with a neck/tension headache in several days now and only once with a mild sinus headache. So nice to get 7 or more hours of sleep at night for a change.

We watch Midsomer Murders too ... and have recently started getting Murdoch Mysteries which is Canadian. That gives me a bit of a smile each time it comes on. It wasn't one that really caught my attention when I lived in Canada, but I like it now.

Dr Blake is Australian and takes place in areas where we've been, near where we used to live when we lived on the mainland. Sadly, it is coming to an end. :(:(

Another one we get is Phryne Fisher Mysteries. Also Australian. The actress is Tasmanian and it is also set in and around where we used to live. I read the books too.

I love Indian food ... and today I realised that one of the things I really like about it is that there is a whole selection of vegetarian choices WITHOUT mushrooms and peppers. I just cannot eat those things. I try ... but the mushrooms leave me feeling nauseated, and the peppers give me wicked heartburn for hours and hours.

So much of the Australian, North American, etc. style of food includes those things in vegetarian choices. I go to a restaurant, and it will be seafood, seafood, seafood, beef this, pork that ... and the one token vegetarian dish will be something like stir fried mushrooms with capsicum (green, red, and yellow peppers). :dizzy: Or maybe they'll have two token vegetarian dishes - pasta with mushrooms and pasta with capsicum. I really struggle to eat in so many of the restaurants and often end up cobbling together something from the appetiser menu with a side dish ... like garlic bread with a side of steamed veggies ... and that will be dinner. :neutral:

But when I go to an Indian restaurant, I've got a nice selection to choose from ... and none of them will have mushrooms or pepper, and they all taste great. :)

The paella was really good too ... tomatoes, onions, and artichokes but not a mushroom or capsicum in sight. :grin:

I am glad you're resolving your headache issues. I'm going to my chiropractor on Monday because I've had such tension in my left shoulder and left side of my neck which is giving me headaches. I'm not sure what's causing that but it is getting really tiresome. At some point in the new year I might go for a massage too. But that warm rice sock sounds good.

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I've just received a bunch of photos from DDIL. She is so good that way. Some are of the kids dressing up and there is a video of Edie's show. She is a very confident elf. :D<3
    Thought I would show you this one of the three of them in the park on the way back from Max's school.
    542yhhxdl9ma.jpg

I've done a lot of typing this morning and I hope to get the basic manuscript typed up by Christmas. After that I have to make it book ready and sort out an introduction etc plus find a cover. :o I also am a bit stuck on a subtitle. I like the main title - A VERY NICE MAN.
    Anyway I am pleased with myself, but not very pleased that I am still gaining weight, despite being within CICO. I think it might have something to do with the alcohol, so I am cutting back radically. AF day today. I am 5 lbs over maintenance :'( Time to get serious.

I like to keep up with the news, whether it's local, national, or international. It is important to have a trusted source. The BBC is by no means perfect and DH and I do shout at the TV for their occasional sloppiness, but in general I think it is the "least worst" source. We also read a newspaper we trust, The Guardian, on Saturdays.
    I like to feel I am informed about what is going on in the world and what are the issues of the day. It is my civic duty to educate myself so I can make informed choices when it comes to voting. I also belong to an online pressure group where I can vote and add my voice and, just occasionally, this has been influential in changing things. You can't leave politics to the bad people.
    It gives me some sense of autonomy and power, however small, to keep informed about world affairs and try to make a difference by adding my voice. I care deeply about the fate of ordinary people far away and feel linked to them as much as I do to citizens of my own country.
    Here endeth the lesson. :laugh:

The secret is to care and to act for the good without being attached to the result. I've had to change DH 's mind on this, as he is inclined to do nothing unless he is sure his action will be successful. In ordinary life as well as politics. ;) I believe we should act for the best, even if the outcome is uncertain, or sometimes fruitless. Nothing is worse than feeling totally powerless and a small action can make us feel better, even if it has little or no result. At least we tried. I have often found that "asking costs nothing" and it often results in success, even unexpectedly. :D

Much love to all. Time to read the newspaper.
    Heather UK xxxxxxx

I’m like you and Lisa as I feel it’s important to stay current but not obsessive with the news. Although there is much that is depressing and worrying if I don’t know what is happening then I can’t make good choices when I vote. If you don’t vote you can’t complain. Also, it’s when people aren’t looking that their rights and liberties are taken away. I know that good things happen as I see it every day and don’t need to see it on the news. It’s worth it to me to know what is going on. I’d be more worried if I didn’t know.

We watch a lot of the British shows too. We find they are generally better acted and more interesting to watch. I love mysteries. I watch Murdoch Mystery every day. It’s on every day at 5 right when I come home. I watch it to relax after work. My DH does most of the cooking so I relax, put my feet up and transition from work to home mode.

Waiting for DD to wake up so we can put up the tree. Wanted to get caught up on posts.

Well I just heard her. Hope everyone has a happy productive day.

Terry in VT
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Was supposed to get up at 4am to make sure DYS was on his way to work; but he stuck his head inside my room this morning, before my alarm went off and said, "You don't have to get up; I am awake." So I said, "Have a good day" and went back to sleep. :D Late start to my morning as it is now almost 10am and I am just getting ready to head out the door.

News- I have my local news on in the morning and hear about half of what is going on as I move around getting ready for the day. I will also have GMA on in the morning and half listen to that as the kids eat their breakfast. BUT, the majority of my news comes from news sites I have subscribed to online. I realize that all news sources are going to have a biased point of view. The site I go to most often when it's time to vote or when bills are introduced is the league of women voters. I think they do a really good job of giving straight facts. In the end, if elections come down to the lesser of two evils, I have to go with my gut. I have found that my initial thoughts on any candidate are usually correct.

Loving all of the pictures! hugs to all. busy day ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)