"Stay away from dairy"

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Warning: My opinion is based on things I've learned in holistic nutrition school, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Will do.
    OP wasn't asking if dairy is bad for you. He was asking whether dairy has a known connection to anxiety disorders.

Anxiety CAN indirectly be linked to hormonal disorders and imbalances amplified by the consumption of large amounts of dairy.

can you actually provide scholarly journal articles with this information because my google scholar-fu is failing me...

Found two right off the bat:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19496976
    http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(01)91380-5/pdf

The first one does show that estrogen can be absorbed from the milk but does not show long term issues with that (it suggests that there may be problems but does not specifically link problems to the consumption of milk) and the second is hidden behind a paywall (although the abstract does say that their HYPOTHESIS is that consuming milk causes problems). Again, neither of these shows a link to anxiety disorders.

that was my take - also a study group of less than 20 is likely not going to yield valid/reliable/repeatable research results...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Warning: My opinion is based on things I've learned in holistic nutrition school, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Will do.
    OP wasn't asking if dairy is bad for you. He was asking whether dairy has a known connection to anxiety disorders.

Anxiety CAN indirectly be linked to hormonal disorders and imbalances amplified by the consumption of large amounts of dairy.

So the next question is, "what is considered a large amount of dairy...?"

Googling the amounts of estrogen found in dairy vs. the human body told me that even your saliva has more estrogen in it than milk. So...

lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    UTTER waste of time to argue with a hollistic medicine person

You're free to refrain from doing it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There are six different synthetic hormones added to cows dairy in Canada. Now based on common sense, you really think that would have no implications on human health? Lol

Even if we could use "common sense" as a guide to make conclusions about human health (and we don't, we rely on studies and analysis of real-life results for a reason), why would we conclude that the implications for our health are negative? By your logic of "common sense," we could just as easily assume that the implications are positive.

While I agree with this, the absence of data does not mean a problem does not exist. And erring on the side of caution is not necessarily a bad thing.

But assuming and/or erring on the side of caution should never be expressed as fact.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    which may play a factor in...

May, might, linked, correlated, associated etc...