WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,114 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    I try to walk each day - I don't huff and puff by any means, but walk at a fairly good clip. And do strength training every other day, including some jumping jacks. I generally work up a sweat by the end of the workout. I'd like to do something to get my blood really pumping (high intensity) on the off days. Suggestions - running in place? More jumping jacks?

Climbing stairs
    Hiking uphill
    Running outside
    Cycling ... especially intervals or cycling uphill
    Join a netball team and play netball with them once a week (netball is really popular here in Australia), so if it isn't popular where you are, perhaps another team might work
    Zumba or other classes at the gym
    Skipping/jumping rope
    Cross-country skiing
    Snowshoeing

Here you go ... here's a list of sports. Maybe one of them will appeal to you. :)
    Obviously some on that list won't burn that many calories (card games) but others will.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

Today, after making the jam, I got out for a hilly 39.2 km bicycle ride! It was good! But since I've come in, my feet have been freezing. It was chilly and damp (high humidity and a tiny bit of drizzle), so maybe I got a little chilled.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Yeah! I’ve finally decided on a name for a jewelry business. There is no other website or e-mail with this name and I will own it. DH is setting up the email and website address in my name. Now I just have to create a website and take pictures of my jewelry.

The name will be “Speaking in Rings”.

I’m so happy to have finally made a decision. Also, I just have to do a few more tweeks to the design of my business card and I can have them printed. Right now the S in the word speaking is one of my bracelets shaped like an S.

Terry

Sounds good! :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding coffee ... I drink 1-4 cups before 4 pm each day. Black.

Regarding salad dressing and other sauces ... don't care for them. However, I don't mind so much when I prepare something in the slow cooker with a sauce like I did today.

Regarding gluten ... I love gluten-free chocolate cake. Mmmmmm!! But other than that, no. And in fact, prior to joining MFP and starting to lose weight, I hardly ever ate bread. Didn't really like it. Within weeks of joining MFP, I started craving bread something fierce. So I started eating bread. Now I have 1-2 slices a day.

Regarding housecleaners ... still thinking about getting one. We're loving our gardener! He's come by twice now and it is so good to come home to a neat yard. :)

Machka in Oz
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I think you are wise to take a day with your DH.
  • langman22
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Good evening friends. Played 9 holes of golf. It was cold and windy so didn’t finish 18. Went to dentist for cleaning and checkup Monday. Today bit into a honey graham cracker and broke a tooth. What the heck. Monday everything looked good and healthy.
    Lisa- also holding my breath for the closing.
    Katla-I think of you when I go to yoga. I am hoping for that good feeling but right now it is a bit hard. I know I need more practice.
    Allie- Allie is soooo cute. I know he is a lot of company for you.
    Better get off computer.
    Sue

That’s crazy about your tooth.
  • langman22
    Options
    Heather~ you are right..
    I have so much on my plate right now that I can't see the whole picture...but meditation is such a good idea, I started doing it and stopped, now that I live on my own(sort of )I am going to pick it up again..
    I am up showered and ready for work.. lil Alfie is passed out on my bed will leave him there and hope he doesnt wreck anything before I get home... he has been pretty good so far..

Little fur face is so sweet. I can see why everyone loves him. I agree with Heather.
  • langman22
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    lhscapil wrote: »
    I try to walk each day - I don't huff and puff by any means, but walk at a fairly good clip. And do strength training every other day, including some jumping jacks. I generally work up a sweat by the end of the workout. I'd like to do something to get my blood really pumping (high intensity) on the off days. Suggestions - running in place? More jumping jacks?

Climbing stairs
    Hiking uphill
    Running outside
    Cycling ... especially intervals or cycling uphill
    Join a netball team and play netball with them once a week (netball is really popular here in Australia), so if it isn't popular where you are, perhaps another team might work
    Zumba or other classes at the gym
    Skipping/jumping rope
    Cross-country skiing
    Snowshoeing

Here you go ... here's a list of sports. Maybe one of them will appeal to you. :)
    Obviously some on that list won't burn that many calories (card games) but others will.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

Today, after making the jam, I got out for a hilly 39.2 km bicycle ride! It was good! But since I've come in, my feet have been freezing. It was chilly and damp (high humidity and a tiny bit of drizzle), so maybe I got a little chilled.

Machka in Oz

That’s great that you made the jam. I’m sure it will be wonderful. It’s a lot of work. I can remember my mother making it.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,327 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Lisa - I've provided a link to another list of what mentally strong people don't do in the 50+ group you created in November. We are not allowed to create links here. :o:/;)
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Katla - Terry Wahls had a remarkable recovery from MS according to the Broken Brain interview-I kind of wanted to see her walk B) But even arresting the progression of a disease like that is a win. I looked her up on the internet. She does private consultations including testing, etc. for $7997 and less. Whew! But I think the tips given by her and others were very good and like you said, it's validation that you're doing things right for your health.

Regarding the price of cleaners - the going rate around here is from $17 to $25 per hour, depending on whether the cleaners bring their own products, vacuums, etc. A $17 per hour one might want a 4 or 5 hour minimum, whereas a more expensive one might only have a 3 hour minimum.

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    globedit wrote: »
    I was at work from 9 to 5, teaching, prepping, and grading papers, but I still got in 9,500 steps. My commitment to 2018 is to continue living without sugar, to eat healthy, and to walk/jog/workout 6 days a week. Knowing I am fitter at 70 than in my 40s is no excuse to slack off.

Gloriously green, though rainy, Seattle, WA

:) Welcome. When I was still teaching, I read something in one of my professional journals that changed my life. I found most of the professional suggestions overwhelming but one person said that she came home from work every day, changed her shoes and went for a walk for an hour. I started doing that immediately and continued that practice until I retired. Now I walk in the morning and routinely get a lot of steps before I take my shower and prepare for the day. I hope you'll keep coming back and join in the the conversation.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/123702-women-ages-50

This is the link to the group where Heather posted the great article about what mentally strong people don't do. It is worth your time to read the article and think about whether any of it would be useful to you. :)<3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I've provided a link to another list of what mentally strong people don't do in the 50+ group you created in November. We are not allowed to create links here. :o:/;)
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I just googled mentally strong people and a number of sites popped up. They might not be the same as your list. I imagine they contain much of the same info. I have learned to include some of the points on the lists. I do feel my life is better for practicing some of these ideas.

:heart: Margaret

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did Jari Love Get Ripped 1000 DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Body By Bethany DVD

Put chicken in the crockpot for us to have later in the week. Also did a load of laundry and have it in the dryer right now.

Wendy - Major sure knows who to charm!!! That was very nice of you to help those ladies try to find their keys even if you weren't successful. I certainly agree with those ladies -- you DO look like you're in your 20's

M - To be honest, I'm wondering why you couldn't make the jam without any of the sugar. The fruit is sweet enough. I'll be interested to see if you need to add the sugar to have it set up properly. I hope not. Maybe more of the sugar/pectin????

Regarding coffee - has anyone tried using those individual coffee filters that you get in a hotel in a Mister Coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker (neither is Vince) so we wouldn't be able to tell if it was good or not. How does it turn out? Denise won't drink decaf but most Newcomers only want decaf. This way I can have both

Allie - while we were shoveling snow, I thought of you and how you used to shovel all the time and now you don't have to shovel at all.

Guess I should go to Aldi today. I won't be able to go Monday (when I usually go after exercise) since I need to pick up a platter of an antipasto. I had no idea whatsoever what went into one, so I just ordered it. We have a Newcomer "Destination Dinner" Monday night (what a weird time to have one) which we're going to.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options