WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Machka - I like to freeze pitted sweet cherries IQF (individually quick frozen) on cookie sheets and then keep bags of them in the freezer. I'll put a small handful on top a dish of yogurt or add them to a smoothie. With all the sugar in them, they don't freeze hard and when they thaw they don't look appetizing. :# So I prefer them still frozen or disguised, lol. But that's an idea. Your "loose" jam would be good for a type of syrup perhaps.

Heather - I finally checked out the C25K program you are doing- I found the website and will start poking through it. Good for you!

Karen in VA - Breakfast is normally an egg fried/scrambled in butter. If I scramble, I often add diced up mushrooms (I sauté them first in the butter) and/or a handful of chopped spinach or kale. I also have a slice of toast - Ezekial 4:9 Sesame. A loaf is super expensive at the health food store, but Trader Joe's has it a several dollars cheaper so I load up my freezer since I only head up to Olympia once every month or two. I like it because it's organic and high fiber and protein.

Work-I've done everything from write obituaries for a newspaper to ship frozen seafood all over the world to manage a 911 Center, lol. The jobs I retired from were the 911 job first - it was more burnout than retirement. I took a few years off, worked for an accountant and did some bookkeeping, came back to the county and worked as an Admin Assistant at Public Works in their engineering (traffic & water) and retired from that job in 2016.

Still work on-call at the county auditor's office doing data entry. Volunteer with Master Gardeners and the local Area Agency on Aging Advisory Board.

Karen in VA - How about you?

Broken Brain - I liked the episode on dementia so much I quickly watched it again yesterday and took notes with the clock ticking. Then I was reading the comments and someone posted a link to the whole episode on Youtube that has closed captioning! I'll review my notes and post more about it later. Good diet, exercise, de-stressing, and good sleep are the keys to a healthy brain. I am SO HAPPY to have found this group - there are so many great teachers here!

Thanks to all who gave suggestions on high-intensity exercise. We don't have hills and I haven't been stopping by the gym to do stair climbing. My knee has been a bit painful and foot arthritis is kicking me. But I like the idea of dancing (thanks, Barbara) and may try running in place and more gentle jumping backs - my exercise room is super cushioned with 2 carpets.

That's it for now. Have a good Sunday!

Lanette
    Chilly and damp SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka - I like to freeze cherries IQF (individually quick frozen) on cookie sheets and then keep bags of them in the freezer. I'll put a small handful on top a dish of yogurt or add them to a smoothie. With all the sugar in them, they don't freeze hard and when they thaw they don't look appetizing. :# So I prefer them still frozen or disguised, lol. But that's an idea. Your "loose" jam would be good for a type of syrup perhaps.

Thanks for the idea. :) I did wonder if that could be done.

Most of these cherries were past their due-by date. When I cut the pits out, I had to cut something off of most of them, using maybe half or 2/3 of each cherry. So by the time I was done, I had 6 cups of little pieces. If I'd gotten to them sooner, freezing them might have been a better option.

But also, I don't think I could fit a cookie sheet into a freezer! It would have to be a really small cookie sheet, or maybe just freezing a few at a time.

I had filled two 500 ml containers and one 1 litre container with the jam. Today I decided to split the 1 litre container because evidently when I thaw it, I have to use it within 2 weeks. In splitting the 1 litre, I discovered that quite a bit of that one had set, so it's a much firmer jam. Couldn't say what made the difference.

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,911 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »

The other thing you mention mini-actions is the how of making changes, small triggers and strategies that help you follow through. Checking in here helps center me, remind me of the committment I've made. Packing food with veggies (I need to crunch) and setting up gym clothes so I don't skip out are two strong micro-actions for me.

NYKAREN

:) I lay out my dog walking clothes in the bathroom at night before I go to bed so they are there for me when I walk the dogs. My coat, scarf, and hat are within easy reach in the living room and my water-resistant boots are in the mud room near the leashes and dog coats. Just laying them out, firms up my commitment to walking in the morning. Once I'm outside, the walking is easy.

:)Lanette, many women in my line dance class tell me that it get their heart rates up and occasionally someone will ask me if I ever dance to a slow song. I've been dancing a long time, so it's not so strenuous for me.

:)shanitomorrow, welcome...this is a great place to share your reflections and learn from the reflections of others.

:) Barbie from windy NW Washington
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Welcome Shani (is that a name you would like?) from the UK Midlands. Apparently it has been the darkest January for years. Here it is just rain. :s Yesterday's run was done in the rain and around huge puddles all over the lanes.

Please all new people sign each post with a name and location. I sign off as UK. I live in the far south.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - I like to freeze cherries IQF (individually quick frozen) on cookie sheets and then keep bags of them in the freezer. I'll put a small handful on top a dish of yogurt or add them to a smoothie. With all the sugar in them, they don't freeze hard and when they thaw they don't look appetizing. :# So I prefer them still frozen or disguised, lol. But that's an idea. Your "loose" jam would be good for a type of syrup perhaps.

Most of these cherries were past their due-by date. When I cut the pits out, I had to cut something off of most of them, using maybe half or 2/3 of each cherry. So by the time I was done, I had 6 cups of little pieces. If I'd gotten to them sooner, freezing them might have been a better option.

But also, I don't think I could fit a cookie sheet into a freezer! It would have to be a really small cookie sheet, or maybe just freezing a few at a time.

M in Oz

Machka - If you don't have room for a cookie sheet, just put them in freezer bags like ziplocs and pat them flat (I don't overfill) and you can lay them in the freezer that way and tuck them around other food. Since they won't stick together, it's not a big deal. I often do that with blueberries too.

Lanette
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    In changing my sleep habits I mentioned I have a check list that helps keep me on track. If I have trouble with sleeping I reflect on what might have been the causes.

Last night troubles were caused by a number of reasons. As much as I enjoyed meeting with the friends I had not seen in about a year some of the conversation was intense. I continue to have troubles with DS#1. He is in a state that if we do not do exactly what he says we no not love him. He is very sick right now. I know part of it is his life is so out of control he is grasping to have any control he can find. He is having trouble seeing all the help we have given him and are continuing to stand by him. His illness is telling him he needs to make major changes in his life. I also watched an intense dateline show until 9:00. It was past my 8:00 no electronics time. The moral is when I do not follow the good habits I am trying to establish I pay for it.

The night before I had tea at dinner. The caffeine in the tea made it hard for me to get to sleep. Usually I am asleep in less than fifteen minutes.

Not surprising between the poorer sleep and going out to eat my weight crept up a couple of pounds. Time to get back on track.

Part of my check list does include a place for gratitude. I am finding that part of my reflection on my day helps keep me in a better place to face my problems. My problem journal is also helping to keep me in a problem solving mode.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

M in Oz

Machka - If you don't have room for a cookie sheet, just put them in freezer bags like ziplocs and pat them flat (I don't overfill) and you can lay them in the freezer that way and tuck them around other food. Since they won't stick together, it's not a big deal. I often do that with blueberries too.

Lanette

That's an idea! :)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    SHANI my daughter and her family live in the Midlands, I am in Liverpool. I am 72 (73 in May) and retired 7 years ago. 2 years ago I decided I had to lose weight, get fitter and stronger so came back to MFP lost 42lbs got off BP meds and go to the gym and use dumbells and kettlebells at home.

I don't always post but I do read every day, lots of encouragement, inspiration and general chitchat on here. Hope you find it useful and keep coming back

Kate UK <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LANETTE I missed episode3 of Broken Brain a lot of comments on Ep 4 complaining that people missed it because of time differences around the world. I looked on YouTube but couldn't find it. Most annoying, it is very interesting and looking forward to last episodes which will give practical advice

Kate UK <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    I love how you put this into a nutshell Barbie What's necessary is to build the inclination find your why ...

My why is long distance cycling.

When I moved to Tasmania, I came from a part of Victoria (Australia) where I could choose if I wanted to cycle in hilly terrain (rarely) or in flat terrain (mostly). I had put on some weight, but I could still cycle quite well in flat terrain. I could still do some of the events I wanted to do.

Then I moved to Tasmania and southern Tasmania, where we live, is anything but flat. Suddenly I had to haul that extra weight up hills. In some cases, I simply couldn't do it ... way too steep. In other cases, I could do it, but I was so slow and in so much pain by the time I got to the top it just wasn't worth it.

I wanted to do a particular event ... a relatively short 100 km, but a quite hilly 100 km. Yet definitely not the hilliest ride around! Because I didn't feel entirely confident about it, my husband and I decided to ride the route about 3 weeks before the event. We figured that if doing the 100 km within the deadline (6 hours and 40 minutes) was sort of touch-and-go, I'd do some intense training over the 3 weeks and then do it for real.

I rode those 100 km in about 8 hours ... about 2.5 hours OVER the time limit. :( No amount of intense training for 3 weeks would help me shave 2.5 hours off my time.

I was so upset. I felt like "my" events had all been stolen from me. Of course, I blamed the terrain and moving to Tasmania, but really I had to look at myself. I'd gone from being a slender and fit cyclist to ... dumpy and definitely not fit. And when it came to cycling up hills, my husband described my situation this way ... every 2 kilograms over an ideal climbing weight was like carrying one of those 2 litre bottles of pop in a pannier on the back of the bicycle.

Now I don't know how many of you have tried to ride a bicycle with a load on the back but the more weight there is, the harder it is to get the bicycle up a hill ... gravity!!

And there I was trying to carry the equivalent of 25 of those 2 litre bottles of pop (over my ideal climbing weight) ... well, it's no wonder I was having trouble!

So I dropped those 25 bottles of pop! And what a difference it made.

Now I've picked up a few again, and I'm noticing it when I do rides like I did today ... so I've got to drop them again. Happily, I dropped one of them this weekend. I'm down 2 kg all of a sudden. Water weight, probably, but I'll take it!

Machka in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Did the Body by Bethany DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do the last segment of the Tone Trouble Zones DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

After class I need to go to the store to get an antipasto (is that even how it's spelled?) tray. I'm ordering it since I have no idea what goes into one. Besides, it's easier to order it than to make one up with things that we probably won't eat. On my way there, I'll need to stop at the mailbox for Newcomers. The gal who usually does that is away and I'll be right on the way.

At night there is a Newcomer social. Why they decided to have it on a Monday is beyond me. That's what I need the tray for. Then we have senior bowling.

Didn't sleep too well, thinking about Bryan and how I'll never see him again. So I worked on these hat/scarves that I'll make the girls for Christmas.

Rye - good for you wanting to go skydiving! Feel better fast!

M - for some reason I never thought of using frozen (pitted) cherries. I bet they would be great in yogurt! Next time they're on sale (usually when they are in season), I'll get some, pit them, freeze them. Thanks for the great suggestion Lanette (it was you, wasn't it?)

Heather UK - you know something, I never even noticed the UK after your name! It might have been there all along, I just think of you as "Heather"

Seems that MFP now takes me to the top of the page that I last posted on. It used to take me to the next post after my last one. Oh well.

Michele in NC
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    LANETTE I missed episode3 of Broken Brain a lot of comments on Ep 4 complaining that people missed it because of time differences around the world. I looked on YouTube but couldn't find it. Most annoying, it is very interesting and looking forward to last episodes which will give practical advice

Kate UK <3

Kate
    - drat. I see they've taken episode 3 down. :( Try this for episode 4: https://brokenbrain.com/04b-adhd-mf/. Looks like it's only up for another 8 hours or so over here in the US. This one is also Youtube and closed-captioned. It's about 2 hours long.

Lanette
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,842 Member
    Options
    Out the front window of the RV

Rita