WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Allie Agree about checking probate court. You will probably need a death certificate to get the information you need. Hope it goes as smoothly as it can for you. Are you the executor? The executor is the one who usually does all this kind of work.

Probate is a marathon and not a sprint. If his affairs go through probate it will take a while to settle his estate, so it does give you time to take a breath.

This issue has come up with us before. A will does go through probate. Depending on you estate a trust might be a better way to go for some of us. It does cost more upfront, but it set up to keep an estate out of probate. You do have to go through a lawyer to set up a trust.

Busy day for me with errands, doctor visit, visiting son, and choir.

:heart: Margaret
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did the Zero to Sixty DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD.

Had Newcomer Board meeting today. It was a long meeting since we discussed the budget for the next fiscal year. Then went to pick up Loki's medication then I took Vince to ACMoore. I wanted to get another skein of this yarn. The yarn I had had so many knots in it that it wasn't even funny and I knew that they only had one more skein. Also got the yarn for Jess' hooded scarf. It's nice yarn, only very expensive. So I got one skin 55% off and Vince got another one 55% off. Unfortunately, I had to pay full price for one of them. Now home. Steve should be here in a few hours.

Good news -- Jess just called. She got accepted into the vet school. It is in the Caribbean. I will miss her but I know that it isn't permanent. Plus, I need to see where she's living and so I'll just HAVE to go to the Caribbean in the winter. Ain't that a real shame?

Becca - thanks for the link. Very interesting. Coddled eggs?

barbie - how do you know how long to cook your sweet potatoes (I'm assuming that you don't chunk them up and then boil them like you are making mashed potatoes).

katla - ever since I've been watching my sodium, I can really taste salt in food and honestly don't like it. Good luck tomorrow. Safe travels.

Evelyn - great NSV. Wish I could do that.

Penny - so glad to see you

Every time I see an ad for Girl Scout cookies, I think of Rori and Lisa

M - it's amazing how different foods are in different countries. Vince worked for Mars, Inc and it's surprising how different their production was for different countries. Great pics of you crossing the finish line

Rye - you are so down to earth. Congrats on the NSV

Rita - good luck at the Doc's

Lenora - I find it hard to believe that you have nothing to contribute. You're so wise.

Leamlass - welcome!

Yvonne - today is also National Peanut Butter day!

Terry VT - I usually get whatever I can low sodium. Good luck on your new exercises. Sounds like you've come up with a good solution to your problem

Lisa - on (I believe it is) Sat. at 2:00 on HGTV there's going to be a show on North Carolina reno. I'm going to record it.

Michele in NC
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So many ideas for me to work with, - crowd sourcing problems really helps. Thanks all!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Katla--I hope all goes well with your trip. I agree about the housekeeper. The one I have comes in every two weeks. I usually leave a list of what I want special attention to and she also will take care of our furbabies when we are out of town.

Yvonne--I like your habit of thinking at the end of the day about what I have done to love myself. Thanks for the positive about CMA. We have been members almost 10 years (in April) and enjoy riding with people who just enjoy the ride and spending time together. I tell you I enjoy when we go to nursing homes to visit and even take some for rides. We have a trike which is easier for them to get on and off and another guy in our group has a side car. Last year he took a 90 something year old lady that had riding a motorcycle on her bucket list and never had the chance, the look on her face as they were going down the road was prue joy. Breathe deep and take it one step at a time.

Kim--Happy dance for the warm and dry boots.

Michele--I am thinking a group trip to check out Jess's new place is a good idea.

Well ladies another day. I have been working a lot as with the storm and people calling in ill. Did I say I love being supervisor, not so much this week. Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    “Pat, funny story.... My husband had his liver transplant in 2014. We got an after care summary, after his first checkup that read. "Liver transplant going well, gal bladder properly absent". We both look at each other and ask, when did you get your gallbladder out?? He calls up his Mom, " Mom when did I get my gallbladder out,"? She's like, "you'd think I would've remembered, but I don't". So we call the doctors office and they inform us that the liver and gallbladder are kind of a joint thing so we removed that when we did the transplant. Um wouldn't that be something you could have told us. It looks like you were in there and decided oh what the heck, since we're here.....lol
    Most of his ERCPs have had some discomfort. The pain stems from the body being over stimulated. Once the doctor used the word "jammed", and they had not given him much pain meds. So from leaving the hospital to getting home, it had ballooned into pain he hgad never experienced before. I had nothing at home to combat it! I finally just took him to emergency. Now we tell the nurses that come in to talk with you prior to having the procedure about helping you with plain, putting you to sleepo etc, we tell them to work close with the doctor. When she has to really jam a stent in, that pain med needs to be increased. He has practically jumped off the table so that's where all the soreness comes from.
    I hope your husband has an easy road. Hugs!”
    Becca
    Boy,you have been around the bend with being a nurse & needing to be more informed! You must be scared every time he feels bad! I noticed both of DHs surgeons
    mentioned the liver was very close to GB & pancreas near by.Kind of skimmed over that detail :/ .
    Think he needed time to heal from the endoscopy in the throat.He said it was like he couldn’t swallow right,but has been 2 wks & seems ok now.Fingers crossed.Hate when he doesn’t feel well.Thinking good thoughts for you both.Too often the care taker has a &*#@ job & is kind of forgotten.

Pat in Ohio
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Allie Agree about checking probate court. You will probably need a death certificate to get the information you need. Hope it goes as smoothly as it can for you. Are you the executor? The executor is the one who usually does all this kind of work.

Probate is a marathon and not a sprint. If his affairs go through probate it will take a while to settle his estate, so it does give you time to take a breath.

This issue has come up with us before. A will does go through probate. Depending on you estate a trust might be a better way to go for some of us. It does cost more upfront, but it set up to keep an estate out of probate. You do have to go through a lawyer to set up a trust.

Busy day for me with errands, doctor visit, visiting son, and choir.

:heart: Margaret

When we met with a financial planner he told us to set up trust as then it doesn’t have to go through probate and can’t be contested.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm so far behind but trying to read as much as I can. Allie and Janet my heart is aching for each of you on the loss of loved ones. Be kind to yourself as you know we would all like to if we were with you in body. For sure we are with you in spirit.

After reading a bit more, I see others have lost loved ones. Know I'm thinking of all of you and sending my best thoughts along with my sympathies. We lost two family members this month as well. A nephew that died suddenly on his way to work and my sister in law's mother who was 98 and still in good mental shape.

Congrats to those who are having victories in their lives.

Love and (((((((Hugs))))))) <3<3<3<3
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Becca- I got my belly laugh reading your mantra to remember your train stop in Japan. We were in Japan last summer and think it is a great place to be stationed.
    Went grocery shopping and thought of Michele becaUSe I went to several stores to get their “loss leaders”
    Walked 2 miles outside today as it was beautiful. Had a mental food breakdown late this afternoon. As I walked I thought of all the good advice on this thread re exercise and diet. My problem is my mind. Why do I do this to myself. It is mindless eating but why?
    Speaking of eating it is time for dinner.
    SueBDew in TX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My physical went well. Blood pressure was good. Doing thinking about my visits there, when I see the doctor, the nurse who takes my blood pressure uses a real cuff and stethoscope. When I see the nurse practitioner, the nurse or technician uses this electronic cuff. It s always higher with that kind of reading. I Tokyo my blood pressure right after the nurse took it and it was 10 points higher. So I continue to stay on all my medicines. I a, to call in once a week with readings. He did see a moles on my back that needs to be removed. That is scheduled in March. I'm having some back pain right now so when he poked and prodded around he found it and said it was SI joint and put and injection in for me. He a,so cut my toe nails for me after doing a diabetic foot exam for me. We talked about vaccinations. I had my flu shot in the hospital in December. I am up to date in the pneumonia but not the tetanus. He said it is expensive. So we talked about my life style and he said it is completely up to me since I am not a high risk for needing it. So I declined. He did tell me that he thought that people whose stroke is due to a bleed like mine recover faster than the ones whose stroke is due to the vessel occluding. I am waiting and ready! But the more I type or talk, the more my fingers get frozen or my face hurts. He did increase my Neurontin to 3 tablets 3 times a day. So that's my physical. I called my sister when I got home and told her about my physical. We haven't actually talked for so long and we haven't seen each other since Christmas. So that is a long time since we have hugged. We like to go to one of our favorite ice cream stores but right now I can't tolerate that so it will have too be so,etching else.

Mozart has discovered a Walmart plastic bag on the couch and having quite a time with it!

Rye, there are s many volunteering opportunities in the community. Our newspaper lists them in the Sunday paper. One. If thing is to be a CASA volunteer. That is just being an advocate for a child that is in the court system out of no fault of their own. Just think of everything that Michelle does or Becca and her group serving meals. You don't have to sing like her but a happy birthday song goes a long way to make an older person keep a smile for ma y nights.

We ate lunch while we were out and so now I need to go find me a good supper. Chalrie is out for his weekly Wednesday Karaoke and will be home after I go to bed.

Joyce,Indiana
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    "ryenday wrote: »
    Step by step vs. Big leap I think the step by step approach y’all discuss works well for most people. Some odd types like myself, tho, would not be well served by it. Unless I commit completely it is way to easy for me to blow off the small changes. My diet last year started off to a frustratingly poor and slow start, Four months with less than 10 pound loss to show for 100+ 1200 calorie days and lots of exercise had me on the verge of giving up. Only because I had committed (to myself and to others) to get to a healthy weight did I continue. I guess I’m just one of the “in for a penny, in for a pound” types.

Rye

During the weeks I'm on the diet, I have to treat it like I'm on a mission. I simply do not ever go over my calories. I log everything absolutely and meticulously.

Possibly a little obsessive but that's what works for me.

It's almost like a game each day to balance the number of calories consumed with the number of calories burned so that I don't ever go over.

And then, when my designated weeks are up, it is nice to relax and take a bit of a logging break. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Machka - My left knee doesn't track properly and I first became aware of it at 16 years old when it blew up like a football during school celebrations. I had endless investigations at hospitals etc and nobody could find anything wrong. Very frustrating as it stopped me doing so much and that leg got very weak, so eventually I had to pick it up with my hands to get into the car. Eventually I went to see a sports physio because I had tried a bit of mild dancing at the gym and it blew up again. She knew exactly what it was straight away! (Stupid doctors) Ever since I have been working on strengthening it and do exercises every day. It is now usable and I am able to shuffle/run on it, but it is not perfect. Grrrrrrrrrr!
    langman22 wrote: »
    Machka, love the saying. I love your approach by week. Makes sense. “ How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” Good job with the candy too. Have you seen a regular dr about your knees and foot?

I've known for almost 30 years now about the potential for issues with my knees (and at times I do actually have issues), because of my cycling and the imbalance that creates. I've been to see doctors (who aren't much help), sports doctors (who are much better), physiotherapists and chiros at various times. The sports doctors, physios and chiros all agree on the exercise and stretching I need to do. So I know ... but it's just a matter of doing.

I had been doing some light weights etc. before I started increasing my running in the hopes I might ward this off, but quite probably didn't do enough ... so I've got to do more especially during the coming winter if I want to do an event coming up in early spring (early September).

As for the numb foot, I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. It went numb on the bicycle ride I did on Sunday. That was a particularly strenuous ride ... so much so it triggered my period to start. :frowning: We'll be ramping up the cycling quite a bit more now, so if the foot continues to go numb, I'll see if I can get in to see a sports doctor.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka Scone recipe, YUM. And lots of great mixing/baking tips. Will have to get out my calculator tho', degrees C, cm apart, etc ;) Looked at the veggie Scampi but since I do not like tomatoes or zucchini, I'll pass. I really don't like most vegetables cooked, prefer them raw. The only "new" veggie recipe I've tried so far this month was Garlicky Roasted Mushrooms and it was delish! Today will adapt the chickpea curry recipe and that will make 2 ;) "One bit at a time" Amen sister. That and NYKaren's/Barbie's micro actions get/keep me going.

The recipe does say that you can use any veggies you happen to have lying around. I was just so pleased that there isn't a hint of capsicum mentioned in the recipe!! Had there been, I would have left it out. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Well going to try something new at work today. We have a gym but I sweat so much that putting my clothes back on and going back to work is miserable. So I’ve decided to try walking in the isles around the corporation. We aren’t that big so will have to do a few laps and stairs. Hopefully, I’ll enjoy it and not feel too embarrassed passing by people a few times. They will probably think I just nuts. I’ll let you know how it goes. Still doing the kettlebells and yes my thighs and butt still hurt.

Terry in VT

I get up a couple times a day and climb stairs ... 10 storey building! :)

But I haven't been doing it this week and might not do it next either. After the 10K run, I promised myself a good 2 weeks of no running and few stairs. Then I'll start easing back into it again.

M in Oz

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    .Michele in NC , coddled eggs are really special eggs that you have to pay attention to, and coddle them.....naaah! No, coddled eggs are made by having a pot of boiling water. Turn the burner down to not boiling but still hot. Then swirl the water round and round with a slotted spoon. Then have your eggs ready in a bowl already cracked and just slip them in the water, more towards the outside part, so when it swirls, the egg mixture will form towards the middle. If the water is bubbling then you just get eggy water. Then I time it to about 9 minutes. Use the slotted spoon to check them. Bringing them slowly to the surface. Check them only after the whites have made a cooked whites oval. The yolk is more of a creamy texture, than if you just fry it.
    Becca
    Egg lover in
    Oregon
  • Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) My favorite way to add vegetables to my day is the bags of frozen vegetables that can be cooked in the microwave in the bag. The bags are 3-4 servings. I eat the whole bag with no butter or sauce of any sort. Because they are frozen I can keep a handy supply. I don't drink any of my calories---no juice or alcohol or milk.

Yep ... me too! With both the frozen veggies and not drinking my calories.

Actually, I made the decision to not drink my calories way back when I was about 21 or so. I was working in a donut shop, and my boss allowed us to eat broken donuts etc. and also to drink as much as we wanted from the fountain drinks.

After about 8 months, I had to go to her and ask for a uniform in a larger size!! :anguished:

She gave me one, but it was then that I decided to make one change ... no more drinks with calories!!! I lost 5 lbs in about 2 weeks that way. :) Then I cut back a bit on all the donut scraps, and within a couple weeks was back into my old uniform size.

Since then, pretty much the only time I drink my calories is in the middle of a long bicycle ride when I need both the hydration and fuel.

M in Oz