February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @bride001 Happy Birthday!
    @MobyCarp Glad to hear the quad is slowly improving.
    @AlphaHowls Congrats on quite the long run!!!
    @7lenny7 I meant to mention this a while back and plain forgot, but you had said that the PT asked you to try and work on increasing cadence and reducing vertical movement. If you have a Garmin watch that can capture running dynamics (sorry, but I don't remember which watch you have), then maybe consider the Running Dynamics Pod, or one of the Garmin HRMs that capture running dynamics, as one of its metrics is vertical oscillation. I use one, and it's interesting to see that at slower paces (and therefore lower cadences) my vertical oscillation tends to be much higher...something that I thought was interesting when trying to reduce the impact on my shin.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    February goal: 50 miles

2/1/2018 cross train: rowing machine 6K
    2/2/2018 2.5 mi
    2/3/2018 7 mi (PR for distance!)

Feb total: 9.5 mi

Tentative races:
    2/17/2018 Magnuson President's Day 10K
    8/12/2018 Lake Union 10K

Longest run so far today at 7 mi., just under 11:00 pace. I've been moving towards 10:30 for my shorter runs, but find it challenging to run more slowly (do I shorten my step? Take fewer? Maybe just thinking about how is part of what's tiring??) More interested in gaining distance rather than speed. I've been running off and on for about 6 years, but reasonably consistently for about a year now. I'm also tempted to train for a half marathon, but don't want to get ahead of myself!

For those of you with 8-14 mi long runs, do you bring water along? It's been a pretty mild 50 or so here, but I'm wondering for when the temps increase.

Other question: what in the world do I do with these extra 1000 calories?!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @DauntlessDiva Sorry to hear about your DNF.

@simcon1 Congrats on your mileage PR! During milder temps, I don't bother with water or food, but during the Texas summer I make sure my runs take me by water fountains so that I can get some water if needed. This year, with some of my intended longer runs, I plan on wearing a hydration vest and using the water fountains as a refilling point later in the run.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    @garygse Thank you!
    @simcon1

For those of you with 8-14 mi long runs, do you bring water along? It's been a pretty mild 50 or so here, but I'm wondering for when the temps increase.

Other question: what in the world do I do with these extra 1000 calories?

I pretty much wear my hydration belt on all runs. It carries two 8 oz bottles and a pocket for my GU. For really long runs, like today, I just ran back by my home and refilled and went back out. It is a personal preference really. I prefer to keep water with me. Eating extra calories, personal preference again. I had a piece of cake in the freezer and have been waiting since December for a nice long run to eat it!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    simcon1 wrote: »

I carry about 30-40oz of water with me using a belt pack. The hotter the weather the more I drink per mile. If I am out there for say an hour, and it is in the 50s, I do not need any water. 4 hours in 90+ degrees, and I am drinking gallons! :smiley:

There are several options to carry water with you. The belt I use is no longer sold, sadly, but there are many options out there. Amphipod makes one that can take 1, 2,3, or 4 water bottles pending how are you are going:

8j79375hk8bx.png
    You can see them here: http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/hydration-belts

I just ordered the Orange Mud Double Barrel to test out:

81QfcRobelL._SL500_.jpg
    Click to see on Amazon

Which is very pricey. Nathan has a line of "Triangle" packs that work very well, and some people like carrying bottles in their hands.

Two words: Ice Cream!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    2nd Goal: A 35 km run – DONE!! :smile:

Congrats!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    LMAO! @rheddmobile ! I guess that's why we call them "tennis shoes". Although for the longest time I thought they were "tenna" shoes. I had ear infections as a kid. Didn't hear so we'll.

*Boink-a-boink, boink, boink-a-boink, boink boink... :wink: :grin:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Uhhh. I'll take them!

Or...

s2jqshuudjqq.jpg
    Mark Remy will eat them.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

I always bring water no matter what the temp. I think it’s kind-of my personal runners security blanket? On colder days, I bring a small bottle and usually never finish it. On super hot days, I pack-up water like a camel.

The answer to the extra 1000 calorie question? Chocolate. The answer is always chocolate. ;)