February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp So a person could buy their way into Boston? That doesn't seem fair.

I'm thinking about saving up to go skiing/snowboarding. But that'll pass when the Olympics are over. I still have Big Sur half on my buck list. I gotta get better at walking first though :wink:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Km818818 wrote: »
    Has anyone every done one of the inflatable 5ks?

I did one umm two years ago, I think. I put it in the same category as the color runs, in that if you want to race, it’s not the event for you. If you want an experience and don’t mind walking as you dodge people, and wait for obstacles to clear, it is great, especially with friends.

My only other advice is that if it is, or has been at all wet, that plastic gets wicked slick. I went sliding, and falling feet up in the air movie style on one of the early deals because I was slow in figuring that out.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Every time I see this tag line, I think about you being a charity fund raiser. Except that's not the path to Disney World, it's the path to Boston for people who can't BQ on race results. (Alternatively, you might say I have to run a marathon fast to get to Boston because I'm no good at raising funds.)

Well, I am looking as at probably a few thousand dollars to fly there, stay in the park, and run the Dopey - for two people. It is a big chunk of change.

Boston is not tempting to me, but Disney Dopey sounds like fun race and challenge.

I might have to start selling cookies door to door though. Rough start to the year already.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    02/01/2018 - 4.01 miles
    02/02/2018 - Rest Day
    02/03/2018 - 4.11 miles
    02/04/2018 - 2.01 miles
    02/05/2018 - Unplanned Rest Day
    02/06/2018 - Unplanned Rest Day/Rain
    02/07/2018 - Rest Day
    02/08/2018 - 3.02 miles
    02/09/2018 - Rest Day
    02/10/2018 - 5.02 miles
    02/11/2018 - Rest Day
    02/12/2018 - 4.01 miles
    02/13/2018 - 4.05 miles

26.23/65 miles

Everywhere else it's just Tuesday, but here it is Marci Gras! Thankful for the end of Carnival season but especially thankful for the end of King Cake season.

To Day was a State Holiday for me, so I slept in and ran late this morning. What a day a difference makes - sunny, hot and humid weather today. Most of y’all just want winter to end, I just want the weather to make up its mind what season it wants to be in Louisiana!

To catch up on my monthly goal for my miles - I am thinking about running on Friday morning before my race on Saturday instead of it being a Rest day. I have ran the day before a race and as long as I finish 24 hours before race start I seem to be okay. Does anybody run day before race day? Only a 10K.

@HRKinchen - I will be purchasing a -ish shirt in March!

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018 - Done
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf - 6.5 miles 3/24/2018
    Fat Boy 5K - 04/14/2018
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 - ?

I've done shakeout runs the day before races, like 3 miles the day before a half, and been fine. I just take it easy the day before.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I'm thinking about saving up to go skiing/snowboarding. But that'll pass when the Olympics are over. I still have Big Sur half on my buck list. I gotta get better at walking first though :wink:

There are around 6000 slots reserved for charity runners. They need to be involved with one of the sponsoring charities, and I think they need to raise a minimum of $5000. So yes, if you have that kind of money to throw around on top of the entry fee and the hotel (not an issue for locals, I suppose), you could buy your way into Boston. But I think the vast majority of the charity runners really do the hard work of doing fund raising for a cause they believe in. In my case, raising $5K for charity would be harder than just running a BQ marathon to get in.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

There are around 6000 slots reserved for charity runners. They need to be involved with one of the sponsoring charities, and I think they need to raise a minimum of $5000. So yes, if you have that kind of money to throw around on top of the entry fee and the hotel (not an issue for locals, I suppose), you could buy your way into Boston. But I think the vast majority of the charity runners really do the hard work of doing fund raising for a cause they believe in. In my case, raising $5K for charity would be harder than just running a BQ marathon to get in.

^^^^ this. Most big races reserve charity places, and they have pretty big targets to hit for those going in with one.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    To catch up on my monthly goal for my miles - I am thinking about running on Friday morning before my race on Saturday instead of it being a Rest day. I have ran the day before a race and as long as I finish 24 hours before race start I seem to be okay. Does anybody run day before race day? Only a 10K.

I typically run the day before any race. Even a marathon. I work hard to keep it very easy, and short, but I will do much worse race day if I have not run in the last 24 hours.

• PastorVincent
    Options

Yeah, I have a much better chance of pushing for a BQ time than raising money like that. I mean I only have to run what, 20% faster? heh.

I just have no current plans or desire to run Boston.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

I typically run the day before any race. Even a marathon. I work hard to keep it very easy, and short, but I will do much worse race day if I have not run in the last 24 hours.

I don't run the day before a race. But that's only because I worry about doing something really stupid like twist my ankle, or get an irritating hot spot or blister. I use the elliptical instead.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    exercise.png