Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do diets work?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    Bacon cheeseburgers, Little Debbie Swiss Rolls and Costco Chocolate Cake for life x

I feel like you get me..

Just outta spite, I had a 1/2 lb bacon cheeseburger (on a bun), chips and a Ding Dong for dinner last night!

I had Girl Scout Samoas and a triple bacon cheeseburger (no bun) cuz I didn't want to die last night :p

**chomps on saturated fat sausage**

I had a Thin Mint last night and I thought of this thread!

(It was delicious).
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Bacon cheeseburgers, Little Debbie Swiss Rolls and Costco Chocolate Cake for life x

I feel like you get me..

Just outta spite, I had a 1/2 lb bacon cheeseburger (on a bun), chips and a Ding Dong for dinner last night!

I had Girl Scout Samoas and a triple bacon cheeseburger (no bun) cuz I didn't want to die last night :p

**chomps on saturated fat sausage**

I had a Thin Mint last night and I thought of this thread!

(It was delicious).

I was enjoying my Samoas while reading the thread :)
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Looks like we're never going to find out if it was a bot or a real life person.

Exactly the same behavior as last time... as soon as his/it's humanity was questioned... BAM! no more posts

Except they didn't deactivate, they were, uhm, shown the door.

This is going to sound completely stupid, but how do you know it's a bot? Or rather how would a non human even be able to post like that?

You guys can all loudly laugh at me if that question is seriously as stupid as it sounds...

I am right there with you! There was another thread I was in where everyone determined we were dealing with a bot and I was like... Wuuuuuuuut? The posts made "just" enough sense, and quite frankly I have watched too many dystopian technology apocalypse movies to not find it vaguely terrifying.

When they start taking over, message me through MFP and I'll get you an invite to what I assume will be an off the grid encampment here in the Shenandoah. Can you learn to churn butter?

Right? I'm down. I have a dachshund that's really good at hunting small and slow moving things. Ha
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I realized tonight's supper is going to be just over 1,000 calories and thought of this thread.

Ooh, me too!! I figure if the steak doesn't kill me, the carbs in the baked potato will. Pre-logged, so actual amounts may vary but it will for sure be a big *kitten* grilled steak and huge baked potato :smiley:

eq32atrvx2sx.jpg

(And yes, I save my extra Caesar salad dressing packets from Wendy's to use at home! I like the stuff and it's basically pre-portioned, although I admit to guessing on the 'half a packet' bit. Also, it saves me having to buy bottled stuff :tongue: )
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I won't pretend I know how it works, I was just part of that other thread where people came to the conclusion infuriating poster was a bot. And once that suspicion came up the user deactivated.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I realized tonight's supper is going to be just over 1,000 calories and thought of this thread.

Ooh, me too!! I figure if the steak doesn't kill me, the carbs in the baked potato will. Pre-logged, so actual amounts may vary but it will for sure be a big *kitten* grilled steak and huge baked potato :smiley:

eq32atrvx2sx.jpg

(And yes, I save my extra Caesar salad dressing packets from Wendy's to use at home! I like the stuff and it's basically pre-portioned, although I admit to guessing on the 'half a packet' bit. Also, it saves me having to buy bottled stuff :tongue: )

I can only say "Bon Apettite"!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Yeah, mine's pre-logged too:

0m6qst0bh6xi.png

Correction: 1150; I didn't realize I'd logged 2 oz of challah, not the 4 I might be having. Some of it's a guesstimate. The bread won't be sliced until it's on the table. I log it as 4 oz, since the thinnest slice I can cut is generally 1.5 ounces. Might be 3, might possibly be 4.25, but it's close. (And besides, the bakery I got it from isn't in the database, so even if I luck out and slice a 'perfect' 4 oz, the calories may not match.)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    @estherdragonbat I love it! I pre-log and adjust amounts all the time, too.

What's in your Angel Cake Pudding? It sounds...heavenly :smirk:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    @estherdragonbat I love it! I pre-log and adjust amounts all the time, too.

What's in your Angel Cake Pudding? It sounds...heavenly :smirk:

Half a Duncan Hines angel food cake mix, raisins, unsweetened vanilla soy milk, egg whites, sugar, vanilla extract, and a dusting of cinnamon sugar. :) The low-fat craze is (thankfully!) over, but I still have a cookbook from the 90s that managed to come up with desserts that don't taste like deprivation and despair.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2018
    Valentine’s dinner here as well, probably not super accurate. Samosa was definitely bigger, rice portion was definitely smaller. Doesn’t include the beer or whiskey (logged under my vices category)

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    slossia wrote: »
    Am I the only one who sees that diets don’t work! I’ve been reading all the posts on all these threads on MFP, and see that everyone is always dieting and always needing to loose weight! Weight watchers, slim fast, CICO, And the worst offender, eat less and exercise more!! You are what you eat, not how much you eat! Spend your life eating junk food , processed meat , sugary foods, and then think it’s okay as long as you eat in moderation!! Won’t work!!

CICO is not a diet.

Eat less then you did to get fat and move more then not moving at all. Remember it's all relative...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    slossia wrote: »
    Also! My diary is open! I probably eat more calories then most people on this thread! I’m maintaining my weight! I don’t exercise! And I’m 65 I believe that I should be gaining weight eating that many calories!! But I won’t!! Never have ! Why!! Why do sone people of the same sex and same age and same activity level gain weight eating half the calories of me!! I believe it’s the food! Not how much food!!

hahaha
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Doing Valentines dinner tonight, so Prime rib at the Keg.

I'll blow 1000 cals out of the water.

Should be ~1250 for the food and 250-300 for wine.

Challenge accepted. My dinner from Valentine's Day (not exact, used equivalents/approximations since they don't provide calorie info):

l4rg3dbe3s16.png

Hnnnngggg

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Doing Valentines dinner tonight, so Prime rib at the Keg.

I'll blow 1000 cals out of the water.

Should be ~1250 for the food and 250-300 for wine.

Challenge accepted. My dinner from Valentine's Day (not exact, used equivalents/approximations since they don't provide calorie info):

Great. Now I have to drink more to keep up with @AnvilHead
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Valentine’s dinner here as well, probably not super accurate. Samosa was definitely bigger, rice portion was definitely smaller. Doesn’t include the beer or whiskey (logged under my vices category)

Lightweight...

:devil: