JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    One bad meal won't transform your body, just like one good meal won't equal immediate results. The body builds itself from habit. --- Jonathan Ross, trainer

I actually really like this quote!
    It reminded me of a book I read called the slight edge.
    Which was more based around financial stuff (think my dad wanted me to read it so I could learn something useful haha) but the basic principle has many uses! Especially in all our cases.

I think the basic thing was a few analogies? Like would you rather have 1 million pound straight up, or 1 penny that doubles every day for 30 days?
    So Day 1 will be 1p, Day 2 will be 2p, Day 3 will be 4p Day 4 will be 8p and so on and so on...

Except by the end of 30 days, you actually get £5,368,709.12!!!!

So yes the second option of a penny a day makes the progress seem much slower and even disappointing but if you stick it out long enough for the 30 days you achieve 5 times as much!

And then there’s the simpler analogies of 2 frogs in a bucket of milk? Can’t jump out, so they paddle and paddle and one gives up because he doesn’t think he will make it so he stops paddling and sinks to the bottom and the other keeps going and going and then he’s paddled for that long that he’s turned the milk into butter or something and can jump out!

Long story short,
    It applies to us as we don’t need one big day and one massive achievement and we will have our goals (as if we could lose 30lb in a day anyway!)

But goes to show, that if you’re going across a steady flat line, and you incorporate a HEALTHY habit (and it doesn’t have to be big it can be the slightest change) and you do that every day, over time you will be a lot more healthy than if you didn’t do anything.
    But also the same the other way, if you have a bad habit that you don’t change and you’re still doing that bad thing a year down the line.(and it could be the slightest thing) Think how much unhealthier you will be than if you stopped it and remained on the constant steady line.

A slight change, the slight edge, that will see you either curve up to a healthier life or curve down to a unhealthier one.

So like your quote, one McDonalds won’t put on 20 lbs, neither will two or 3 or 4, but over time if you keep having them (a bad (yet slight) habit) you’ll be a big fatso before you know it :sweat_smile:

Aw man here I was getting all inspired and feeling good then you *kitten* slapped us with the big fatso. You are a hard coach Bex. :laugh:

• MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    2/19 Monday JFT:

▪Breakfast
    ▪Run a few errands: bank, WM, vitamin shop, mailbox
    ▪Research work from home- complete excel log
    ▪Laundry
    ▪Prep taxes
    ▪Rebox textbooks
    ▪Lunch
    ▪Elliptical - Only Walking Pace!!
    ▪Prenatal Yoga
    ▪Baseball - "Meet the Coach/ team"
    ▪Dinner either 5 pm or 8:30 pm depending on baseball event
    ▪Bedtime by 11 pm
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,077 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    One bad meal won't transform your body, just like one good meal won't equal immediate results. The body builds itself from habit. --- Jonathan Ross, trainer

I actually really like this quote!
    It reminded me of a book I read called the slight edge.
    Which was more based around financial stuff (think my dad wanted me to read it so I could learn something useful haha) but the basic principle has many uses! Especially in all our cases.

I think the basic thing was a few analogies? Like would you rather have 1 million pound straight up, or 1 penny that doubles every day for 30 days?
    So Day 1 will be 1p, Day 2 will be 2p, Day 3 will be 4p Day 4 will be 8p and so on and so on...

Except by the end of 30 days, you actually get £5,368,709.12!!!!

So yes the second option of a penny a day makes the progress seem much slower and even disappointing but if you stick it out long enough for the 30 days you achieve 5 times as much!

And then there’s the simpler analogies of 2 frogs in a bucket of milk? Can’t jump out, so they paddle and paddle and one gives up because he doesn’t think he will make it so he stops paddling and sinks to the bottom and the other keeps going and going and then he’s paddled for that long that he’s turned the milk into butter or something and can jump out!

Long story short,
    It applies to us as we don’t need one big day and one massive achievement and we will have our goals (as if we could lose 30lb in a day anyway!)

But goes to show, that if you’re going across a steady flat line, and you incorporate a HEALTHY habit (and it doesn’t have to be big it can be the slightest change) and you do that every day, over time you will be a lot more healthy than if you didn’t do anything.
    But also the same the other way, if you have a bad habit that you don’t change and you’re still doing that bad thing a year down the line.(and it could be the slightest thing) Think how much unhealthier you will be than if you stopped it and remained on the constant steady line.

A slight change, the slight edge, that will see you either curve up to a healthier life or curve down to a unhealthier one.

So like your quote, one McDonalds won’t put on 20 lbs, neither will two or 3 or 4, but over time if you keep having them (a bad (yet slight) habit) you’ll be a big fatso before you know it :sweat_smile:

Aw man here I was getting all inspired and feeling good then you *kitten* slapped us with the big fatso. You are a hard coach Bex. :laugh:

Haha I just burst out laughing and now enduring 20 billion questions from my kids of what I’m laughing at!
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

You inspire me. You do so much. That you have only a LITTLE venting is beyond imagination. You vent all you like.

You ladies are awesome and inspire me daily!! Thank you for the support @junodog1 :blush: