February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice that the rungries are worse if you run in the morning rather than the evening? The chocolate candies on my desk had better look out!

I run almost exclusively in the mornings, so I can tell you the rungries are the WORST. I don't feel them as much on Saturdays when I run a little later in the AM vs. first thing. I wonder if it correlates to eating before a run. I always have food before my Saturday runs, but never during the week.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for February

2/1 REST DAY
    2/2 REST DAY
    2/3 REST DAY
    2/4 REST DAY
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 6.2 miles - 6.2
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 6.2 miles - 12.4
    2/9 REST DAY
    2/10 9 miles - 21.4
    2/11 REST DAY
    2/12 4 miles - 25.4
    2/13 7 miles - 32.4
    2/14 REST DAY
    2/15 8 miles - 40.4
    2/16 3.1 miles - 43.5
    2/17 10 miles - 53.5
    2/18 REST DAY
    2/19 4 miles - 57.5
    2/20 8 miles - 65.5

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else notice that the rungries are worse if you run in the morning rather than the evening? The chocolate candies on my desk had better look out!
    @lporter229 Absolutely! The days I decide to run to work, I barely have time to shower before I wind up in front of the vending machine, thinking nothing but "CHOCOLATE!" :mrgreen:

@abutcher2122 "You either ran today or you didnt" - that's a great motto, I like it a lot!

Last week was a bit crazy, I didn't manage to post here at all. That doesn't mean that I didn't run. I'm now at 112.8 km for February, so 150km for the month are still doable. And I did some climbing and skiing and Pilates. Just not enough sleep... Yesterday I went running after work, but I was so tired that I just went to bed afterwards, without cooking dinner. Guess who woke up starving this morning? :wink:
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Races:
    2/17 - Susan B Komen Race For the Cure 5K DNS
    2/24 - Gasparilla 5K

So...I have my 1st ever "DNS" on my racing resume. Ugh. I decided to take care of me, so I went home, took a muscle relaxer & slept from about 5:00 last night til about 4:30 this am, then snoozed to 0515 when I got up for work. This headache I've had since Thursday is finally releasing, so, while I can say I've made the right decision, there IS a bit of guilt that I didn't go. I'll find a virtual one to do for breast cancer & Gasparilla is this coming week, but still...a DNS!

So I'm not going to get day 3 of week 7 done for CT10K, but I'll start with week 8, a place I've not touched before. Plus new running shoes await me in the morning!

So sorry to hear about this. I hope you can regain composure and do great on your next race.
    Smart decision to "take care of me".
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I find that morning runs lead to afternoon rungries but afternoon runs lead to next day runger. Can't win!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Hey all. Just some encouragement for folks starting out or returning from a long hiatus to running. Since my last marathon last April, I have been suffering from let down and burnout. Hey, it happens. Plus some personal life issues that I am currently going through and even the flu a couple of weeks ago contributing to some challenges in my running. I am barely going to go over 100 miles this month (assuming the pace I am currently going at). That may seem like a lot to the newer folks on this thread. But I was regularly posting almost 250+ miles every month consistently. Late last week I just started to feel my mojo coming back and that my training started to seem like I am now going back in the right direction.

It's frustrating that in less than a couple of months, I have a HM scheduled and I still feel like I am no where's prepared. But I keep at it, building my miles and fighting to regain my speed. Keep at it folks, everyone is doing good. It may seem like a long road to reach your goals, but the journey is worth it.

So good to see you back at it...not that you really ever left, but I know what you mean. We all go through those ups and downs as runners, especially when we have been running for years. Nobody can go 100% all the time. We all need that physical and mental "cut back" every now and then. What's important is that you are still here and always have been, even if it's just to pop in every now and then and post the links to all of that valuable information you have compiled. Now that you are feeling the mojo again, I am sure that you will be inspiring and informing all of those that are wanting and willing to soak it all in! For those that are new to the group...listen to what this guy has to say, he will not steer you wrong!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

If I have something to eat within like 15-20 minutes after I run, I don't seem to get them. Then I have my normal breakfast like an hour or so later.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    One more point in my post above about refueling. If you take in fuel, you are adding glucose to your blood supply. Since your body prefers glucose, your working muscles will latch onto this as opposed to fat. I am trying to see if research was done to see if the brain will slow the chemical release that allows your body to use fat for energy when excess glucose is found in the blood mid-run. But I know at rest, when you eat a big meal, your brain will tell your body to release more insulin to use up the glucose ingested into your blood supply and slow down the chemical release that will release fatty acids into your blood supply. I just don't recall if this happens during exercise.

https://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only-1