• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited February 2018
    MichSmish wrote: »

Total so far: 199.02 miles/300

I do agree with Lenny. Wow!!!

• Stoshew71
    Hey gang, coming back and starting fresh. I have no set goal in mind for mileage, it's more about actually getting out there and getting it done (since I live in Canuckland and have to contend with ice, rain, snow, more snow, etc.). I'll consider a goal for March once I see how things go for the rest of this month. :smile:

Welcome back @TattooedDolphinGirl78
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Today's notes: Assignment was 10min WU then 7 miles @ 7:45-7:50 pace. I would have averaged 7:48, but stopping to dry heave and cough up phloem a bunch of times really slowed me down. ended up averaging more like 8:00. Snow overnight meant there was like 3in (7.6cm) of fresh on the ground, since I was running before plows came through and it was still snowing. The wind kind of sucked too. Feeling bummed about the run, I just didn't have it today. Hoping that the whole "a bad run is better than a day at work" thing takes effect and I feel better about it.

Considering everything going on....I think you rocked it! Heck I can't do that pace when I feel 100% energized and with perfect weather conditions!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Today's notes: Assignment was 10min WU then 7 miles @ 7:45-7:50 pace. I would have averaged 7:48, but stopping to dry heave and cough up phloem a bunch of times really slowed me down. ended up averaging more like 8:00. Snow overnight meant there was like 3in (7.6cm) of fresh on the ground, since I was running before plows came through and it was still snowing. The wind kind of sucked too. Feeling bummed about the run, I just didn't have it today. Hoping that the whole "a bad run is better than a day at work" thing takes effect and I feel better about it.

Considering everything going on....I think you rocked it! Heck I can't do that pace when I feel 100% energized and with perfect weather conditions!

I'm my own biggest critic and for me, training is work and the race is the reward... my demented mind tells me I don't deserve the race if I don't nail my workouts....LOL.... it's the only place I'm a perfectionist in life.....
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    One more point in my post above about refueling. If you take in fuel, you are adding glucose to your blood supply. Since your body prefers glucose, your working muscles will latch onto this as opposed to fat. I am trying to see if research was done to see if the brain will slow the chemical release that allows your body to use fat for energy when excess glucose is found in the blood mid-run. But I know at rest, when you eat a big meal, your brain will tell your body to release more insulin to use up the glucose ingested into your blood supply and slow down the chemical release that will release fatty acids into your blood supply. I just don't recall if this happens during exercise.

https://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only-1

This article actually has lots of chock full of knowledge nuggets when it comes to fat and sugar burning.

https://www.gssiweb.org/en/sports-science-exchange/Article/sse-59-fat-metabolism-during-exercise-new-concepts

But the biggest thing I was looking for was this section right here:

DIETARY CARBOHYDRATE INFLUENCES FAT OXIDATION DURING EXERCISE

Eating Carbohydrate During the Hours Before Exercise

Fat oxidation during exercise is very sensitive to the interval between eating carbohydrate and the onset of exercise and to the duration of the exercise. This is due in part to the elevation in plasma insulin in response to the carbohydrate meal and the resultant inhibition of lipolysis in adipose tissues, thus reducing the mobilization of FFA into the plasma. This effect is evident for at least 4 h after eating 140 g of carbohydrate that has a high glycemic index (Montain et al., 1991). Under these conditions, the carbohydrate meal reduces both total fat oxidation and plasma FFA concentration during the first 50 min of moderate-intensity exercise. However, this suppression of fat oxidation is reversed as the duration of exercise is increased; after 100 min of exercise, the rate of fat oxidation is similar, whether or not carbohydrate was eaten before exercise. It appears that the body relies heavily on carbohydrate and less on fat when people have eaten carbohydrate during the previous few hours, and therefore carbohydrate is preferred when it is available. It is likely that insulin plays a role in regulating the mixture of carbohydrate and fat oxidized during exercise.

This reduction in fat oxidation and increase in carbohydrate oxidation is not usually detrimental if all of the increase in carbohydrate oxidation is derived from glucose in the blood from the meal, thus having little influence on muscle glycogen use. Therefore, at present, there is little basis for recommending that people refrain from eating carbohydrate before exercise because such a meal will simply shift energy metabolism to less of a reliance on oxidation of plasma FFA and more on blood glucose oxidation, with lesser effects on muscle glycogen and intramuscular triglyceride utilization.

Plasma FFA mobilization is remarkably sensitive to even small increases in plasma insulin (Jensen et al., 1989), and it seems that lipolysis is influenced for a long time after eating carbohydrate (Montain et al., 1991). Diets that are lower in carbohydrate or that contain carbohydrates that cause less insulin secretion, probably still elicit enough of an insulin response to reduce plasma FFA mobilization. Therefore, any commercially available product or diet that claims to increase FFA mobilization and oxidation would have to almost totally eliminate the insulin response to the carbohydrate in their product, which seems unlikely. At the very least, the developers of these products must demonstrate that FFA mobilization is increased by their diets and is somehow beneficial. As discussed above, increased FFA mobilization would certainly not seem to be of any value for untrained people because their mobilization of FFA normally exceeds the ability of the muscles to oxidize FFA.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Temp is continuing to climb. I getting concerned about all this time running in subfreezing and now trying to run when it is almost 80... going probably have to dial my expectations way back.
  • Stoshew71
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice that the rungries are worse if you run in the morning rather than the evening? The chocolate candies on my desk had better look out!

If I have something to eat within like 15-20 minutes after I run, I don't seem to get them. Then I have my normal breakfast like an hour or so later.

Yup. Because after you run, your body wants to recover. If you don't eat something right away, your body considers itself starved and the brain will start to release those hormones that make you hungry. When this happens, we tend to overeat later on.

However, if you eat a little something as your post workout recovery meal, it prevents your body from releasing those "I am very hungry" hormones.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eat-after-workout#section1

Eating After a Workout Is Important

To understand how the right foods can help you after exercise, it's important to understand how your body is affected by physical activity.

When you're working out, your muscles use up their glycogen stores for fuel. This results in your muscles being partially depleted of glycogen. Some of the proteins in your muscles also get broken down and damaged (1, 2).

After your workout, your body tries to rebuild its glycogen stores and repair and regrow those muscle proteins.

Eating the right nutrients soon after you exercise can help your body get this done faster. It is particularly important to eat carbs and protein after your workout.

Doing this helps your body:
    Decrease muscle protein breakdown.
    Increase muscle protein synthesis (growth).
    Restore glycogen stores.
    Enhance recovery.

Bottom Line:
    Getting in the right nutrients after exercise can help you rebuild your muscle proteins and glycogen stores. It also helps stimulate growth of new muscle.

• Stoshew71
    https://www.positivehealthwellness.com/diet-nutrition/post-workout-nutrition-important-weight-loss-programs/

You’re Less Likely to Go on Binge Eating

One reason why post workout nutrition is important in weight loss programs is craving management. When you’re ravenous, you’re more likely to eat anything you see – and eat lots of it! If you take smaller but more frequent meals throughout the day, you will have better control over your appetite and your portions.

Dietitians usually recommend 5 to 6 low-calorie meals taken every 3 hours. Diet apps can help you compute and track your food intake, so you never overeat. Since you never starve yourself, your body also maintains a healthy metabolism.

Your post-workout snack can be part of this regimen. Bear in mind that workouts will leave you hungrier than usual. Many fitness coaches say that this causes a very common diet mistake: you negate any calories you burned from a workout by overeating on that day. A low-calorie snack taken a right after you exercise will satisfy your body’s needs and take advantage of the “Afterburn” mentioned earlier.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Date Miles Notes
    2/1/18 3.1 ----drizzly evening run squeezed in before zumba!
    2/2/18 0 ----rest
    2/3/18 0 ----zumba (migraine aura started 1/2 way through but I fended off the pain!)
    2/4/18 8 ----out and back on the Rails-to-Trails
    2/5/18 0 ----rest
    2/6/18 4 ----lunch break run
    2/7/18 0 ----zumba class
    2/8/18 0 ----rest
    2/9/18 0 ----rest
    2/10/18 0 ----extra long Carnival-themed zumba class!
    2/11/18 9 ----wet, soggy, rainy run
    2/12/18 0 ----rest
    2/13/18 4 ----neg split run: 1st time in ages doing any kind of pace focus - felt good!
    2/14/18 0 ----zumba class
    2/15/18 5 ----was going to be 4 but it just felt so good!
    2/16/18 3.1 ----glorious warm, cloudy, windy run
    2/17/18 0 ----zumba class
    2/18/18 0 ----rest
    2/19/18 10 ----felt awesome! accidental negative splits on the last 5 miles
    2/20/18 3 ----64°F. UGH. Not ready for that temp.
    Total: 46.2
    Goal: 80
    Miles Left: 33.8

I really need to start checking in on this thread over the weekend, every Monday I'm so far behind! Lol.

Yesterday's long run I got 10 miles in. When I started out I wasn't feeling it, but a few miles in I got a nice runner's high and accidentally ended up doing the last 5 miles as negative splits. Woot!

Today was just a short lunch run. By the time I was done it was 64°F. Blah. I have not missed my face dripping sweat, not one little bit, lol. Tomorrow is supposed to hit around 70 but fortunately it's not a run day. The rest of the week and the weekend look pretty rainy but that's ok, I have a brand new waterproof jacket to break out for rainy runs.

And, I have been LOVING my new watch! Definitely an upgrade from my old Vivoactive. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    @7lenny7 sorry to hear about the ITB struggles. I feel your pain. It was so frustrating dealing with my own ITB issues. And this reminds me, I need to make sure I foam roll when I get home, I didn't do it the last couple days! :s

@Teresa502 I know you posted about this a while ago, so I'm not sure you're still having issues, but I have the Garmin Support instructions for when you're having issues with your watch and phone pairing. My previous watch had entirely stopped connecting with my phone and following these directions fixed it -

1. Open Garmin Connect Mobile
    2. Go to Menu > Garmin Devices
    3. Press and Hold vivoactive
    4. Remove Device > Yes
    5. Go to the app Menu > Settings > Sign Out > Yes
    6. Open the Bluetooth Settings on your phone
    7. Remove vivoactive if listed from Bluetooth Settings
    8. Open Settings on your Android phone
    9. Go to Apps/Application Manager > Connect
    10. Select Storage
    11. Select Clear Cache
    12. Restart phone and vivoactive (left is power button)
    13. Re-pair your vivoactive with the Garmin Connect Mobile application Pairing vivoactive to Garmin Connect Mobile.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    Thanks for the insight on fueling @Stoshew71. At this point I don't feel that fueling will be necessary. But who know. My longest run to date has been 9.7 miles in 1 hour 54 minutes. I will probably play around with it some during my longer training runs, but I won't feel like I'm doing something wrong if I decide I don't need it in the race.

It looks like running on my rest day yesterday was the right move. We had a 50% chance of rain today and it has rained almost all morning and afternoon. It hasn't been terribly windy so it doesn't seem stormy, but there has been thunder and lightening too so my hopes for a window of good running weather this afternoon is getting smaller and smaller. The next day we don't have rain in the forecast is Sunday, so I may not hit my goal this month. I am trying to be flexible and not let it bother me. We do need the rain. We did not get any rain in January.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    But who know. My longest run to date has been 9.7 miles in 1 hour 54 minutes.

Don't forget that in a race, you will naturally go faster due to the adrenaline from all the excitement that race environments provide (crowd excitement, medals, other racers, wanting to do good officially, etc.). And if your like me, having people around you that are a little faster will drive you to want to go a little faster.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Thanks for all the nutritional information @Stoshew71 ! I read and read and just can't seem to get the level of understanding that you and others have. It's helpful that it's discussed here.

Glad to see you pop in! Everyone gets busy or injured and has the need to take a thread break. We forgive you. :wink:
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,706 Member

@Teresa502 I know you posted about this a while ago, so I'm not sure you're still having issues, but I have the Garmin Support instructions for when you're having issues with your watch and phone pairing. My previous watch had entirely stopped connecting with my phone and following these directions fixed it -

1. Open Garmin Connect Mobile
    2. Go to Menu > Garmin Devices
    3. Press and Hold vivoactive
    4. Remove Device > Yes
    5. Go to the app Menu > Settings > Sign Out > Yes
    6. Open the Bluetooth Settings on your phone
    7. Remove vivoactive if listed from Bluetooth Settings
    8. Open Settings on your Android phone
    9. Go to Apps/Application Manager > Connect
    10. Select Storage
    11. Select Clear Cache
    12. Restart phone and vivoactive (left is power button)
    13. Re-pair your vivoactive with the Garmin Connect Mobile application Pairing vivoactive to Garmin Connect Mobile.
    Thanks KatieJane. I ended up doing basically this. I deleted my watch from the mobile app and then added it back. Thankfully, it started working after that!
  • Stoshew71
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the nutritional information @Stoshew71 ! I read and read and just can't seem to get the level of understanding that you and others have. It's helpful that it's discussed here.

Glad to see you pop in! Everyone gets busy or injured and has the need to take a thread break. We forgive you. :wink:

Why thank you for your grace and forgiveness. :lol: