February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    So, I have a timing issue...

On 3/17 I am signed up for a Half Marathon followed by a 5k followed by a 1 miler. The course is rumored to have many steep hills. So while it will be my first official HM, I am not planning on getting my fastest possible time.

The big question I need figure out is that I am scheduled to donate blood 3 days before. I usually react badly to donations and take time to recover (sometimes cannot even drive home)

So now I am worried that I am donating to close to the race. But the drive is at my work so it is very convenient. UGH. Not sure what to do. Not like I can move the blood drive or the race. No one ever asks me about scheduling these things. *sigh*

https://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/say-i-donate-blood-how-long-till-im-back-to-normal
    Yikes, that's a long recovery time!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

On 3/17 I am signed up for a Half Marathon followed by a 5k followed by a 1 miler. The course is rumored to have many steep hills. So while it will be my first official HM, I am not planning on getting my fastest possible time.

The big question I need figure out is that I am scheduled to donate blood 3 days before. I usually react badly to donations and take time to recover (sometimes cannot even drive home)

So now I am worried that I am donating to close to the race. But the drive is at my work so it is very convenient. UGH. Not sure what to do. Not like I can move the blood drive or the race. No one ever asks me about scheduling these things. *sigh*

Are you a rare blood type Pastor V? If not I'd do the blood another day personally.

Type-O, so yeah, one of the more important types. I am called non-stop

I am also Type O (+), haven't donated in a while, and just signed up to go donate on March 12. Thanks for the reminder!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

https://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/say-i-donate-blood-how-long-till-im-back-to-normal
    Yikes, that's a long recovery time!

UGH

From the link

"I would recommend giving yourself a couple of days off after donating to regain your fluid volume before resuming your training. Wait at least a month before running a serious race, meaning a marathon or fast-paced shorter race. Two months would be safest, especially if you plan to run at an altitude that is higher than where you usually live and train."
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    February goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

2/1- REST
    2/2- 5.5
    2/3- 16.6
    2/4- 4.2
    2/5- REST
    2/6- 9.1
    2/7- 6.7
    2/8- REST
    2/9- 5.5
    2/10-10
    2/11- 9.8
    2/12- RESR
    2/13- 6.8
    2/14- 6.8
    2/15- REST
    2/16- 5.8
    2/17- 13.4
    2/18- 9
    2/19- REST
    2/20- 9.1
    2/21- 6.9
    2/22- REST
    2/23- 4- ugh

Total: 129.3

Today's notes: We got about 5-6inches (12-15cm) of fresh powdery snow overnight. My run was SLOW. I averaged like 14:35, on a route that I can normally knock down 11min miles. That said, it's fun running in snow that hasn't been touched by anyone else yet, so that was nice. Looking at another 5-8 inches of snow tomorrow night, so it's going to be getting pretty deep in the near future.

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
    10/20- Wild Duluth 50k
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I would probably schedule a different day for the bloods honestly.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I would probably schedule a different day for the bloods honestly.

You is probably wiser than I...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @ctlaws44 Hurray for taper- now just don't go crazy ;) . And thanks man! Yes I run 2018 primarily for team Salming North America (shoes, I get a friends and family code if anybody runs Salming and I don't know it), my secondary sponsorship contract (electrolytic) should be effective March 1 and my third sponsorship contract (hydration pack) was just penned yesterday, pending signing, effective February 28. If you follow me on IG or are FB friends with me it is likely very obvious what companies I am referencing lol

Maybe you can complain to Salming for me! :lol: After seeing your sponsorship, I went to their site and looked at their trail shoes... BUT THEY DO NOT COME IN WIDE. Bah!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I am also O Neg, the ‘Universal Donor’. I am also CMV negative, meaning my blood gets prioritised for neonatal usage. It is probably the only way I will ever get to be a superhero….

As to when you should donate then race – I would move one of them I’m afraid. I know from experience I can’t run the day after donating, and interestingly having had a blood test three weeks after donating, my iron levels were STILL below normal, suggesting I would fare badly in a race as well.

Now I’m a strong believer in donating all you can (I’d rather you left some of it in me until I didn’t need it anymore) but there will be other blood drives. Are there any permanent sites you can go to? By the way, in this country I doubt you’d be able to donate given what you’ve said about your medical history, but then again, I wouldn’t be allowed to donate in your country either (it’s them bonkers cows that did it!!!)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I am also O Neg, the ‘Universal Donor’. I am also CMV negative, meaning my blood gets prioritised for neonatal usage. It is probably the only way I will ever get to be a superhero….

As to when you should donate then race – I would move one of them I’m afraid. I know from experience I can’t run the day after donating, and interestingly having had a blood test three weeks after donating, my iron levels were STILL below normal, suggesting I would fare badly in a race as well.

Now I’m a strong believer in donating all you can (I’d rather you left some of it in me until I didn’t need it anymore) but there will be other blood drives. Are there any permanent sites you can go to? By the way, in this country I doubt you’d be able to donate given what you’ve said about your medical history, but then again, I wouldn’t be allowed to donate in your country either (it’s them bonkers cows that did it!!!)

Yep, I keep asking if I can donate and I keep getting turned away. Really annoying because when I was living in the UK I donated gallons of blood and platelets, and on one occasion I donated bone marrow.
  • sarahthes
    Options

I'm also CMV negative, and I've also been a blood transfusion recipient in the past which is what started me donating in the first place, although I had to wait a year after receiving the transfusions before I could start donating.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    All this talk of the negative performance effects of blood donation are making me think I should move up my donation by a few days so I've got a solid 4 weeks between my donation and my half marathon.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So I called the vampires and asked them about it and they said "as long as you stay hydrated" that it would be fine. Honestly thinking the advice to reschedule the donation given in this thread is probably better. *sigh*
  • PastorVincent
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavUpD_IjVY
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 Hurray for taper- now just don't go crazy ;) . And thanks man! Yes I run 2018 primarily for team Salming North America (shoes, I get a friends and family code if anybody runs Salming and I don't know it), my secondary sponsorship contract (electrolytic) should be effective March 1 and my third sponsorship contract (hydration pack) was just penned yesterday, pending signing, effective February 28. If you follow me on IG or are FB friends with me it is likely very obvious what companies I am referencing lol

Maybe you can complain to Salming for me! :lol: After seeing your sponsorship, I went to their site and looked at their trail shoes... BUT THEY DO NOT COME IN WIDE. Bah!

I wear men's shoes in a 10.5 because I have some big *kitten* feet- the forefoot is pretty broad in the T3. Measure your forefoot width for me and I can compare to mine
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I wear men's shoes in a 10.5 because I have some big *kitten* feet- the forefoot is pretty broad in the T3. Measure your forefoot width for me and I can compare to mine

I wear a men's 10.5US 2E in Saucony Ride 10, but I do not have a measuring device here. If I remember when I get home late tonight I can do that.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the talk of donating blood, it has reminded me that I've been meaning to do this. I tried maybe a month ago, but apparently it was too close to when I had been in the Dominican Republic and they wouldn't take my blood. They told me I'd be eligible again by my bday though, 2/27. I need to look into making an appt, making sure to reference my race calendar when I do, lol.

Is it weird that I'm kinda excited that my lunch run will probably be in the rain? I don't think that's weird :D
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I wear a men's 10.5US 2E in Saucony Ride 10, but I do not have a measuring device here. If I remember when I get home late tonight I can do that.

Oddly I used to be a 4E or 5E... but since losing a bunch of weight it does not seem my foot is quite so wide anymore.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Is it weird that I'm kinda excited that my lunch run will probably be in the rain? I don't think that's weird :D

Yes, but it is okay, even good, to be weird at times. :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Mad props to all of you that donate. I can probably donate but I get severe anxiety just when I have to have a blood draw (horrible, painful experience when I had my appendix out). I basically have a panic attack.