55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• sheliftsweights
    sheliftsweights Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    For those ladies that can; you should be lifting weights. Moved from one state to another and had to find a new doc that accepted Medicare (found a good one). Anyway he wanted a bone scan done; blew the lab tech away! Was the best bone scan I've ever had (and I'm 67). I do full-body three times a week w/as heavy as I can. Doctor I saw highly recommended it. BTW, you don't start out heavy, you start out light and as you gain strength increase the weight.

Congrats on your test results! Thank you for your sound advice.. that's the direction I'm heading.

-Do you have programs you have done and recommend?
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the weight lifting information, too
  • sheliftsweights
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This is a really good, comprehensive MFP thread on weight training programs, with useful info for any and every age and stage:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Thank you!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Sheliftsweights, I do a full-body three times a week; I use a local parks & rec facility that has mostly machines (w/some free weights; price is right). I try to rotate the exercises/increase the weight (when I can) so my body doesn't get into a rut. There are lots of programs out there, pretty sure you can find something that works for you. Good luck!! B)
  • sheliftsweights
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Sheliftsweights, I do a full-body three times a week; I use a local parks & rec facility that has mostly machines (w/some free weights; price is right). I try to rotate the exercises/increase the weight (when I can) so my body doesn't get into a rut. There are lots of programs out there, pretty sure you can find something that works for you. Good luck!! B)

You are fortunate to have access to a facility that works for you! I am sure I will find a program .. doing something is better than nothing.. which has gone on to long for me. Thank you!!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I'm cleared of pneumonia so been exercising. I'd like to share that I'm a care giver to a lady who had a stroke & it effected her right side. No use of R arm but can walk slowly with a brace on her R leg. On Wednesday's I take her to a "ppl with disabilities" life group at church. I'm so amazed that all the ppl there are so active. There's one couple who are both in a wheelchair mostly, they can stand for short periods. They are so busy. The lady voluteers to answer phones at a food distribution place, they both go to many events, church & otherwise. They go to exercise at a physical therapy place(they're both over weight) & the lady does zumba with her upper body on saturdays!! They go everywhere on Handy ride. She is SO cheerful & encouraging & neither one of them complain, except to ask for prayer if there's some medical issue. Our leader is a retired paraplegic lawyer who is very funny & also drives, then there's several others that use a walker & use handy ride.They are great group. The lady I care for is the only one who complains, a LOT (only to me) about her stroke
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am a person who believes in the power of positive thinking...and since you are taking her to church...you might remind her that she could have been one of those stroke victims who can no longer articulate her complaints about her lot in life...Now, before everyone gets upset..I have a very dear older friend who used to complain quite a bit and was not very tolerant of other’s infirmities, like hearing loss. She made a very snide remark about a gentleman who was nearly deaf as he exited his car to come into the local diner where we knew he would join us at the communal dining table..I’m afraid I snapped at her that she should be thinking, “There, but by the grace of God, go I” since she had recently recovered very well from a brain aneurysm and no one was intolerant of her infirmities during her recovery. I was simply letting her know I didn’t think it was appropriate for her to do so. I am not suggesting you snap at this lady, but you might remind her of just how blessed she is and that we all carry our own burdens, some not at visible as others. Maybe God still has a purpose for her, otherwise, she might not have survived the stroke. Sometimes it just helps to see that there is a brighter side to whatever is going on in your life.

By the way, this lady has since moved away and still keeps in touch with me. We are pretty close mostly because I was the only person who called her on her negative comments. Most other people just avoided spending time with her.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    she can't speak very well either. I have been gently talking to her about how much worse it could have been. She wasn't expected to walk again or have the feeding tube removed at first, so she's come a very long way.At the same time I do my best to empathize with her too, it's not easy. It's strange that in her way of thinking, life was supposed to be positive & smooth if you work hard at it & she did, then this happened. I do hope one day she will heal enough emotionally to move on & live in the present. I took a break from working with her for almost a year, I didn't want to keep hearing her talk about how unfair this is etc, etc. I know she went through a lot, but it was getting me down. She's not as bad about it lately
  • Evamutt
    Options
    no, He doesn't, it was recorded for our benefit so we don't
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    I can totally relate to the way luluinca feels. It's one reason I tend to stay away from the more "mature" age groups om MFP for this very reason. Let's face it, once you get to a certain age, we ALL have issues aches, pains, surgeries, conditions, etc. Suck it up, give it your best and keep moving!!!! Luluinca, I think you're my new "hero!"

So true!
    Yes, I am 60 years old; yes, I have health issues - but neither of those things define the person that I am. I am grateful for the blessings that I have and am going to do my darndest to keep fit and healthy and live every minute of my life.

Yes !!!!

• Czzamoment
    Czzamoment Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you mean free weights? I do 30 min on elliptical and 30 min on weight machines. I never did free weights. Where should I start? Today is my first day starting MFP
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Start w/weights that bring you close to failure in the 8 to 12 rep range. Don't try to start off too heavy; proper form is more important than the weight. Check out Bodybuilding.com, they have instructions for different exercise so that you do them correctly. Good luck!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Czzamoment wrote: »
    Do you mean free weights? I do 30 min on elliptical and 30 min on weight machines. I never did free weights. Where should I start? Today is my first day starting MFP

This thread points to some well-designed strength programs, including beginner programs, that are a good starting point. You can also ask questions there

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Evamutt
    Options
    I do free weights with Fitness Blender, there are so many to choose from
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I am glad you brought up fitness bender- I am going back to them. I have been walking mostly since I got a fitbit at christmas- but I did enjoy lifting my small weights- was fun
  • Evamutt
    Options
    I upped my weights. I love lifting weights
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Love the weights too; go heavy as possible! B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!