Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Headed to Dulles in a couple of hours. My SIL shocked me by getting us business class tickets. I have never, ever experienced an Atlantic crossing in luxury. Awesome for getting a real night’s sleep. But of course the first thing they do is offer champagne and then wine with dinner. First World “problems,” I know. But I’m working on a strategy right now. My guess is it will end up not only “When in Rome” but also “When on Air France.” I clearly haven’t even begun to master the drinking thing. If this is a school I put myself in the remedial class. At least thanks to this group I’m certain I won’t be the mess I would’ve been before January.

So wonderful to read about you guys getting it together as you turn 40. I missed that boat for sure, but I’m glad you’re on it.

Ciao everyone!!

Oh I love flying Business, it makes it really hard to go back to coach on International flights! Take the champagne, get one nice glass of wine with dinner (since they actually give you choices and not just red or white), and then have a nice cup of tea while you watch movies and talk to your SIL before getting some good sleep so you hit the ground in Italy raring to go. And honestly, my experience in Italy was also not very "wet". They frown on the excessive drinking in most of Europe, from what I've noticed. We had a small carafe with lunch and another at dinner and then were more focused on the food and gelato than anything else. The only night I overdid it in Italy was when my sister, sister in law and I got a little emotional about our recently deceased moms. We drank too much, and were feeling it the next day, which just happened to be the day we had hired a driver for a tour of Tuscany to go wine tasting. We were so hung over, and then the hilly, windy roads made us car sick, so that none of us even wanted to drink - we finally had a little tasting in the afternoon at an actual winery but I joked that it was the soberest wine tasting tour that guy had ever hosted.

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thank you @WinoGelato for the insider tips! Sounds like a great plan. And I know this will probably ruin me for coach forever but I’m happy to risk that!! I am laughing because I packed a couple of protein bars thinking that would be my dinner.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    OK obviously that last comment applied to women. I don't know any men that get hot flashes. Although that response from a man would certainly raise some eyebrows.
  • HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Sundays are a killer for me. I mean, I am pretty good throughout the week, and moderate at best on Friday and Saturday (but all fit in my daily calorie goal), but when the Sunday blues kick in, it's devastating. Not only the caloric intake, it's the Monday feeling like trash, starting my week off out on a bad foot because of my low energy, half assed workout. Any thoughts?
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    For those of you that have trouble with people that continue to pester you to "have just one" at a bar or social event, refusing to take no for an answer, my friend has the perfect response. She says, Oh no, wine (or whatever) gives me an immediate hot flash." The men are too uncomfortable to say anything else, and the women nod, but no one encourages her to order one after that.

Ha Ha! It's good to have a ready response, and this is a good one for some!

I also like a great quote from Holly Whittaker's hipsobriety.com blog:
    "No, thank you." is a complete sentence.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    For those of you that have trouble with people that continue to pester you to "have just one" at ......
    OK obviously that last comment applied to women. I don't know any men that get hot flashes. Although that response from a man would certainly raise.....

:D:D:D hahaha Jen i couldnt stop laughing especially when u mentioned men. I had to control my thoughts.

A few times I've said, " it's the sugar, I've sugar diabetes in the family and I have to be careful". Thats works. Its the hardest when u are offered a drink when the your arguing with yourself abt it too.
    erikNJ wrote: »
    I notice it seems like a lot of people are apologizing for celebrating something like a birthday, or another special occasion. I don’t think that those of us who can moderate should feel that need to apologize for that. Enjoy your special moments how you want to. If you want to without a drink that is awesome. But don’t apologize if you want that drink if you can handle it.

I luv it,.. your very gracious and understanding.
    Sundays are a killer for me. I mean, I am pretty good throughout the week, and moderate at best on Friday and Saturday (but all fit in my daily calorie goal), but when the Sunday blues kick in, it's devastating. Not only the caloric intake, it's the Monday feeling like trash, starting my week off out on a bad foot because of my low energy, half assed workout. Any thoughts?

Hello, I'm with u here, my Sundays are my worst now. It used to be everyday but now I have strateges that ive got in place that comes automatically except on the old occasions my situation changes. I struggle there, thays when this thread comes in very helpful.

On Sundays I think of something else to occupy or take up my intrest so i drinking isn't my main focus. It's jolly hard when the whole atmosphere is all abt a good social drink.

My thoughts for you as suggestions is that if the reason u r drinking is feeling down then think of what u enjoy doing,..ie : sport , sight seeing, .. anything maybe somthing u have never done b4 and focus on how your going to achieve it.
    Just a suggestion...
  • HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much @Alzzi76. The weather is getting nicer, certainly more time spent outside the better. And not on a deck or patio with a cocktail! Appreciate your thoughts.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »

Thanku, <3

Thanks so much @Alzzi76. The weather is getting nicer, certainly more time spent outside the better. And not on a deck or patio with a cocktail! Appreciate your thoughts.

Your welcome :) i like that idea. I luv outside too.
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I think your answer is in your avatar :)

<3<3<3<3<3
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 - I'm a moderator and really glad you shared that video. The scariest thing for me was how they talked about people who aren't alcoholics -- not even close -- and who aren't "dependent" can have serious liver disease. They also measured out some beer and wine to illustrate how most people are drinking a lot more than they think they are. The nitty gritty of alcohol "units" and how little is really "safe" to drink was fascinating. Thanks for passing on. I'll be thinking about this for a long time.
  • ali3boys
    ali3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I'm going to try to start incorporating fun exercise on Sunday's now that the weather is getting better. Followed up with a moderate treat whatever that maybe. Example; hike/lunch or bike ride/breakfast with or without a drink. Something physical... But out of my normal workout. It doesn't have to be a all day thing, but just a nice outing to get out of the house for a little bit. Good luck :)
  • missanne11
    missanne11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great idea!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    ehseeker wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    My lil awkward win today.....around 5pm started feeling really tired and bored....thought of going to gym but was too uninspired. Decided I need to kill time by drinking.....resisted, debated, fought, gave in.....and finally gave up....got in my car and drove to the liquor store, parked in the lot......then a moment of clarity....if i could only drive away to the next lot, maybe i have time to think, drove to the next lot, parked, and checked my phone.....something said drive away....drove away and came home, made a healthy dinner and took a shower

Well done! In WW they'd say if you can just put off eating whatever junk it is you want for 10 or 15 min the craving will pass. Perhaps it's the same with alcohol. The title for your book, "Driving yourself sober".

Thanks for the title idea :)
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    ali3boys wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    My lil awkward win today.....around 5pm started feeling really tired and bored....thought of going to gym but was too uninspired. Decided I need to kill time by drinking.....resisted, debated, fought, gave in.....and finally gave up....got in my car and drove to the liquor store, parked in the lot......then a moment of clarity....if i could only drive away to the next lot, maybe i have time to think, drove to the next lot, parked, and checked my phone.....something said drive away....drove away and came home, made a healthy dinner and took a shower

That !!! Gave, me chills. That was awesome. Good for you, what a powerful thing you did.

Glad that my story connected with you.