Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Poston1966 wrote: »
    This weekend will be a big test for me. I am going away with my friends to party and go out to bars and dance. They are big drinkers but always under control. We have great laughs and love the holiday. And we Uber or walk everywhere. I will probably have a few drinks. Maybe not. I really won't know until I'm with them how I'll feel.

On one hand, I don't even want to take one sip; it has lost its appeal after 70+ days of AF.
    On the other hand, I may need this weekend to sign and seal the deal that my drinking days are over. I may indulge one last time and probably regret it.

What's strange is the anxiety I am feeling now just thinking about it. The reason I was able to be AF since Jan.1st was that I made an absolute rule within myself not to take a sip.

JulieAL1969,

You are an incredible person. You always give such great advice and support. The decision to drink or not will not change that and you will still be an incredible person.
    I will be flying to NY on Sunday to celebrate my birthday. My plan is to not drink however I know that it is possible. I am not going to stress. It is not a win or lose. It another day to move forward and not to look back. Enjoy your time with or without drinking. Remember that you are an incredible person.

Happy Birthday !! Wishing you joy, laughter, much love and happiness! Thanks for your kind words:)
    Thanks so much for relieving my stress!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    Saturday St.Pattys Day, the only thing I REALLY want to do is find some place serving Irish lamb stew or bangers and mash. I won't be participating in any drinking of alcohol that day because I know how quickly it can go South. Oh and I want to listen to Irish music. (Sorry erik...lol)

Oh I love the Irish music and food!
    It’s the huge crowds and people wearing “I’m Irish Today” shirts who are puking in the middle of the dance floor at the bar that I hate!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    This weekend will be a big test for me. I am going away with my friends to party and go out to bars and dance. They are big drinkers but always under control. We have great laughs and love the holiday. And we Uber or walk everywhere. I will probably have a few drinks. Maybe not. I really won't know until I'm with them how I'll feel.

On one hand, I don't even want to take one sip; it has lost its appeal after 70+ days of AF.
    On the other hand, I may need this weekend to sign and seal the deal that my drinking days are over. I may indulge one last time and probably regret it.

What's strange is the anxiety I am feeling now just thinking about it. The reason I was able to be AF since Jan.1st was that I made an absolute rule within myself not to take a sip.

Just my 2 cents: That is HUGE and is the one thing I have not been able to do with myself that keeps leading me back to drinking. You have done an AMAZING job so far. I completely understand your concern and anxiety about this upcoming weekend. I think that you have to ask yourself what it is that you stand to gain by drinking this weekend. Is it really to prove to yourself that your drinking days are over or is it to prove to yourself that you can have the very occasional indulgence and then go back to being alcohol free? Either answer is fine, whatever it is that you are looking for. Just know that, from somebody that has been unable to make that commitment to myself, what you have accomplished is something to be very proud of and it might not be as easy if you have to start over.

Please know that I am by no means preaching here. I completely respect and support whatever you decide to do. I just wanted to offer a perspective from someone who continues to struggle with what you have accomplished and also let you know how much I admire you for it.

Thank you! I know you're not preaching. You have been so sensible and candid on this thread, and we love you for it. I think what I stand to gain is a headache! But also perhaps a little time to let my hair down.
    By no means will I go back to regular drinking or even drinking occasionally. I think I'll be the person who may drink once in a blue moon.
    But I do agree that it is not easy to start all over. You are so right.

You've made a ton of progress. You've learned your limitations and strengths. And you've exercised that willpower muscle ! So proud of your accomplishments.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    ali3boys wrote: »

We support you wherever life leads you this weekend :) there is no right or wrong; we can only do the best we can do for ourselves individually. It's definitely a learning process that's for sure ;) We learn as we go :) sometimes it's amazing sometimes it's hard.

You're right! There is no right or wrong, just learning as we go. Thanks:) xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969 what ever your decision is this weekend you will come out of this better and with a great knowledge of yourself. Don’t stress it too much.

And since it is two days away now, how does everyone plan on handling Amateur Hour ... I mean St. Patrick’s Day?
    As i’ve stated before, I personally hate this holiday. I plan on going to the gym in the morning and staying home with my wife the rest of the day.

Thanks Erik! You always have wise words.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    darcy08008 wrote: »
    I'm so glad I found this group!!

Welcome! We're happy you found us and we found you!:) xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Smilin40 wrote: »
    I’m Irish living in Ireland and it’s st Patrick’s day on Saturday so I’m out but good luck to the rest of you.and please take a moment on Saturday in memory of my liver .

Enjoy the holiday! Drink lots of water to comfort that liver:) xo
  • runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    Made it past the 50 day check in for accountability. Small steps towards personal goals.

YAY!
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options

It's one day at a time. That's all it is. It's just a day in the life.