Opinions on the keto diet??

Options

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    In the case of diabetes, high blood glucose certainly can cause or is linked to vision issues.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    In the case of diabetes, high blood glucose certainly can cause or is linked to vision issues.

we arent talking about diabetes though. yes I know diabetes can cause eye/vision problems.many times though those issues are caused when you arent treating it properly(not always but most). I had a great uncle(my grandpas brother) who was diabetic and while growing up every time I would see him he would be missing some body parts because he would not take his meds or watch what he ate. he didnt get cataracts either, but not saying that he couldnt have.

he just lost toes,then a foot,then a leg and so on. He wasnt overweight either so not sure if he had type 1 or 2. I was a small kid. either way he didnt treat his diabetes properly and that was the repercussions of not taking care of himself.

• 1houndgal
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    My opinion? I think this diet was originally designed with specific medical issues in mind - medical issues which I do not personally have.

I get great results without putting a bunch of strict limits and rules on my eating, and I'm not interested in adding any additional complications to my life. A lot of people feel like they have to make things complicated in order to feel like they are doing something legit. I don't have that need, and I like to keep things simple and easy. Plus, I'm big into my athletic activities, and a lack of carbs makes me evil cranky. I could never sustain that. I need all the serotonin I can get.

But I'm cool with live and let live. I'm also a big fan of doing what works for the individual. If Keto does it for you, that's great. Who am I to say what's best for everyone? B)
    The Ketogenic diet was used for children who had epilepsy(seizures) and seemed to help them. It helped many reduce seizures. But later studies were done on these kids to see what kinds if effects it had on these children as they matured into adulthood.

I don't have the link but will look for it and post it here unless someone else finds it for me. The results were not good long-term health wise.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Ketogenic-Diet-Side-Effects.aspx
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    only a personal opinion.... how can all that fat be good for your heart... yes you will lose weight but at what expense...... lots of fruit and veggies... some whole grains... some lean meat from time to time... and the bottom line is to burn more calories than you take in... its simple math.... good luck on what ever you do.....

In a way I agree, although I haven't seen any strong studies about long term keto and what high saturated fats can do to a body long term. I would be curious to know if it would cause any damage.
  • 1houndgal
    Options
    Interesting article on the keto diet. Pros, cons, benefits, risks, who should avoid it, etc.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/keto-diet-is-gaining-popularity-but-is-it-safe-121914#1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    only a personal opinion.... how can all that fat be good for your heart... yes you will lose weight but at what expense...... lots of fruit and veggies... some whole grains... some lean meat from time to time... and the bottom line is to burn more calories than you take in... its simple math.... good luck on what ever you do.....

In a way I agree, although I haven't seen any strong studies about long term keto and what high saturated fats can do to a body long term. I would be curious to know if it would cause any damage.

go to you tube and watch some videos with Dr. Michael Greger... he will give you the studies and dates and who did the studies abotu what saturated fat does to your heart adn body..he has them named so you can actually read them if you like.... I have type 2 diabetes and all i have ever read is that a diabetic cant eat carbs... well i have learned different... it is working for me.. a plant based way of eating... it might not work for all people but it is for me...i feel 1000% better... blood pressure problems gone... lower leg edema gone... blood sugar numbers coming into normal.... afib problems are a thing of the past...... so it works for me... let me know if you would like to talk more about it

Michael Greger is known for his faith to plant based dieting. Not exactly an unbiased source.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

go to you tube and watch some videos with Dr. Michael Greger... he will give you the studies and dates and who did the studies abotu what saturated fat does to your heart adn body..he has them named so you can actually read them if you like.... I have type 2 diabetes and all i have ever read is that a diabetic cant eat carbs... well i have learned different... it is working for me.. a plant based way of eating... it might not work for all people but it is for me...i feel 1000% better... blood pressure problems gone... lower leg edema gone... blood sugar numbers coming into normal.... afib problems are a thing of the past...... so it works for me... let me know if you would like to talk more about it

Michael Greger is known for he faith to plant based dieting. Not exactly an unbiased source.

you are right there..... but from what i have seen he will give an opinion and then tell you what study he got it from.. and all studies are available to read... then you can see who funded the study.....
  • willnorton
    Options

Michael Greger is known for he faith to plant based dieting. Not exactly an unbiased source.

you are right there..... but from what i have seen he will give an opinion and then tell you what study he got it from.. and all studies are available to read... then you can see who funded the study.....

Oh i get that but he is going to focus on the ones that support his bias. Its why I wouldn't follow a person who only advocates one dietary approach.

Honestly, there are benefits of many diets. Limiting to only a plant based diet is limiting some benefits of other diets.

Personally, i focus on whole foods, work on getting 20g + of fiber, incorporate whole grains, lean proteins and plenty of seafood.

that is basically what i follow.. i do like greger... but i think our body needs all the food groups... you just got to find what works for you... but bottom line, to lose weight, you got to burn more calories than you take in... right???
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Even though I am not a big fan of keto, citing some doctor on youtube isn't convincing enough for me to see the dangers of keto long term. If there were meta analysis, that's a different story, but as of now, I haven't heard much about that aspect and it would be tough to determine if in the long run it's sustainable or not for the body.
  • willnorton
    edited March 2018
    Options

Even though I am not a big fan of keto, citing some doctor on youtube isn't convincing enough for me to see the dangers of keto long term. If there were meta analysis, that's a different story, but as of now, I haven't heard much about that aspect and it would be tough to determine if in the long run it's sustainable or not for the body.

all the meta analysis material is available on his page... go read it for yourself.... then maybe you will believe... i cant transport the information into your brain...
  • willnorton
    Options

all the meta analysis material is available on his page... go read it for yourself.... then maybe you will believe... i cant transport the information into your brain...

www.nutritionfacts.org
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

go to you tube and watch some videos with Dr. Michael Greger... he will give you the studies and dates and who did the studies abotu what saturated fat does to your heart adn body..

Keto is high fat, but it doesn't have to be high sat fat, and you can eat a decent amount of vegetables.

It's not my preferred way to eat, but I don't think there's anything showing that higher fat diets inherently are bad for us.