March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Went for a 2+ mile walk. I had made today my rest day because of plans but so far 2 of 3 plans have been canceled due to others illnesses. So I decided to take a walk rather than re arrange my workouts again.

I only encounter geckos. I hope to never encounter a rattler. Most coyotes here are scared of humans. Oh wait I would not want to encounter a javelina. They can be mean and aggressive!
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi to all the c25k people in here! I'm back on it and aiming to be finished this month!

But I would like to recommend a podcast that I came across called podrunner. They have matched the beat of the music to the number of steps they recommend! I love it, not the biggest fan of the style of music but I do find it helps to push me. I have gone through the c25k program plus the gateway to 8k and highway to 10k previously and I completed Midnattsloppet in Stockholm last August in 1 18.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @ttelmo Sometimes I brace my tummy when I run or pretend that there is a string attached to my belly button and it's pulling me. I didn't really have soreness in my core when I started running, but consciously engaging your core while you run will help with a myriad of other runner's issues related to weak hips/IT band stuff.

You could be like the lady I saw RACING yesterday with her dog's leash clipped to a harness around her waist. The dog was clearly pulling her. Seemed like an advantage to me, but it's not like they were winning or anything ;)

@sarahthes I had no idea they could be so aggressive! We would always see them flying over us in Pennsylvania, but they rarely stopped (at least not in large numbers).
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @ttelmo Sometimes I brace my tummy when I run or pretend that there is a string attached to my belly button and it's pulling me. I didn't really have soreness in my core when I started running, but consciously engaging your core while you run will help with a myriad of other runner's issues related to weak hips/IT band stuff.

You could be like the lady I saw RACING yesterday with her dog's leash clipped to a harness around her waist. The dog was clearly pulling her. Seemed like an advantage to me, but it's not like they were winning or anything ;)

@sarahthes I had no idea they could be so aggressive! We would always see them flying over us in Pennsylvania, but they rarely stopped (at least not in large numbers).

I looked at those types of leashes before for my dogs and decided that it was not a good idea and they would probably severely injure me with it. :D

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    The real danger in Edmonton is Canada Geese (in summer). So many aggressive geese... The nesting flocks can be 70-80 birds and they migrate from pond to pond so it's hard to know which one is safe on a given day.

Canada Geese are evil, vile, disgusting birds. In Rochester, MN where I grew up, the local power plant keeps the lake from freezing all winter because of their hot water discharge. The result was that geese, migrating south for the winter, decided to hang out in our town instead, crap all over, and be complete *kitten*. For 4 or 5 month out of the year, our main city park was one big goose turd.

And yes, as @sarahthes says, they are very territorial and aggressive. They may attack you at times, and they are very reluctant to get out of your way, whether you're running, walking, biking or driving.

This is from that park. This is how it looked all winter long. And those things that look like newspaper machines? Corn to feed the geese. Yes, let's encourage people to feed these vermin so we can attract even more geese and get more crap!!

vfiles18975.jpg

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 They're a protected species here so we can't even do anything about them. Last year there was a pair nesting right over the front door of our new facility (before we moved in, so when we had contractors in a d out) and they had to get Fish & Wildlife out to place deterrents. Hoping they don't come back this year... at least not to the lab.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @7lenny7 You're from Rochester? I'm from LaCrosse. Been to Rochester many, many, many times.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I was attacked by a goose while running a couple of years ago. It was April and she was nesting. I ran past her and heard her hiss. I thought I was in the clear when out of nowhere she flew on top of my head, swacking and carrying on and deposited some vile clear liquid on it, then she flew away. I was at the corner of a busy intersection, so lots of passer-bys in cars got to witness the entire event. Quite embarrassing. They like to hang out along all of the good running spots in town. I hate those evil little *kitten*.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Aha!!! We have something in common internationally!!! We get to enjoy your Canada Geese here too!! Damned noisy things.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Aha!!! We have something in common internationally!!! We get to enjoy your Canada Geese here too!! Damned noisy things.

The only time I enjoy canada geese is after theyve been marinated in red wine and cooked in butter.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 They're a protected species here so we can't even do anything about them. Last year there was a pair nesting right over the front door of our new facility (before we moved in, so when we had contractors in a d out) and they had to get Fish & Wildlife out to place deterrents. Hoping they don't come back this year... at least not to the lab.

Say what? The Canada geese are so common and such a nuisance in the Rochester, NY area that I wonder why we don't harvest them to stock local food banks. White-tail deer, too; but they'd be more challenging to harvest in populated areas.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    3/1 – 5.57 easy
    3/2 – rest day
    3/3 – 16.09 paced run
    3/4 – 7.22 easy with hills
    3/5 – rest day
    3/6 – 6.21 easy with fast finish
    3/7 – 6.60 group run
    3/8 – 6.24 easy with fast finish
    3/9 – rest day
    3/10 – 18.07 paced run
    3/11 – 6.54 easy
    3/12 – rest day
    3/13 – 6.51 warmup and group run
    3/14 – 6.01 at marathon pace
    3/15 – 6.23 easy
    3/16 – travel day
    3/17 – 6.99 warm up, 8K race, cool down
    3/18 – travel day
    3/19 – 6.11 easy shading to MP

March running total to date – 104.39

Nominal challenge goal: 180 miles

Real goals: Build base. Work toward being able to run 26.2 miles by Patriots' Day.

Today's notes – 12 hours in the car coming home yesterday, so no running. Instead, I went out for a short run on my normal rest day today. 30º F (-1º C) and light northerly wind, but sunshine made it not feel so cold. As I got back toward home, I could feel sunburn on the back of my neck. But who thinks to use sunblock when the temperature is around freezing?

The idea was to run easy today, but the north wind was just enough stronger than advertised that my pace crept up toward MP for the last half of the run. That showed up in my heart rate, too; averaged 140 as opposed to the lower 130s where I'd like to average for an easy run. Sigh. I need to have better control than this at Boston.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I run through geese territory, but so far the only time they have even hissed at me was when there were babies around. Normally we just ignore each other.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Say what? The Canada geese are so common and such a nuisance in the Rochester, NY area that I wonder why we don't harvest them to stock local food banks. White-tail deer, too; but they'd be more challenging to harvest in populated areas.

Tennessee has a season on them in September but it doesn't help much.

I sort of like them in limited numbers - have a pair nesting in my yard at this very moment who get on with me well - but the apartment complex nearby feeds them corn and they have just ruined the lake there, it's just vile with goose poop everywhere. Hundreds of geese in a tiny area.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 You're from Rochester? I'm from LaCrosse. Been to Rochester many, many, many times.

I lived in Winona for about 10 months.