March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    6 miles dreadmill. Normally don't like the dreadmill, especially on nice days like today, but trying to target a specific pace for a specific distance and I don't do so well with targeting a specific pace outside on my own.

That is EXACTLY why I am doing some many dreadmill runs now. I am trying to up my pace, but if I just go run 10 miles, it will be a good 2 mins over where I am trying to get. The fact I can do 8min miles with a steady 4% grade for 10 miles on the dreadmill means I am a lot faster than the 9:30-10:30 I run when outside solo.

I have noticed that the more time I spend running at a faster pace on the dreadmill, the faster I run outside. So probably be bumping my dreadmill pace again soon now that I can do 10 miles and not feel spent at the end of it. Pretty sure I could do 13.1 on the dreadmill at 4% grade and 8 mins now - if I could get over how much time I am spending standing in place :lol:

I also have noticed that when I drop the dreadmill from my work out, my outside pace slowly slips away. So probably going to keep it in my routine for as long as I have access to the fancy pants ones at work.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - I'm glad you solved the footpod vs. dreadmill mystery. I don't know that I would trust either one. The footpod has all the issues you identified. There is an economic incentive for dreadmill manufacturers to make users think they ran faster and further so I would expect any dreadmill measurement error to be biased in that direction.

A piece of anecdata for you: I've worn a Garmin 620 or 630 on indoor track workouts without GPS signal. It tracks cadence from an accelerometer in the watch, no footpod; a footpod should be more accurate. It does autocalibrate from my running with GPS. I've found that it under-records the known track distance at an easy pace, but over-records the known track distance when I'm running hard. A buddy who has a 610, with footpod, sees the same thing but with less error because the footpod is inherently more accurate than the watch-mounted accelerometer.

In any case, the error from footpod or wrist mounted watch wasn't big enough to worry about on the scale of how many training miles I ran. I didn't care much about the Garmin-reported pace for those workouts, as the important thing was typically timed intervals of known track distance.

I used to use the watch without a pod but found it was inconsistently different. I think that is because if I grab a drink from my water bottle, or adjust settings on the dreadmill, or wave at someone, or etc the watch though I stopped because my arm was not swinging. The foot pod and the dreadmill have been very consistently different, to the point I could pretty much guess what the other said based on knowing only one.

I trust the dreadmill numbers but that is in part because it does not matter at my level. They will be close enough especially since in nice weather I do most of my runs outside. If a few runs are a little short/slow it will all come out in the wash. Plus, like I mentioned above, it is having a positive impact on my running. If all the numbers are run, and I am still improving, then I really do not care about the numbers :) I do think the fancy pants dreadmills at work are pretty accurate though. Mine at home, I am not sure about. I plan to measure and check it soon.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    March goal: 96 miles

3/1: 5 miles
    3/4: 9 miles
    3/6: 4.1 miles
    3/7: 4.6 miles
    3/8: 5 miles
    3/11: 10.5 miles
    3/13: 5 miles (intervals)
    3/14: 5.2 miles
    3/15: 3 miles
    3/18: 11.3 miles
    3/20: 5 miles
    3/21: 5 miles
    3/22: 3.9 miles

76.6/96 miles completed

Discouraging run today. It was hot and it was windy. I got home and I was at 3.9 but I just didn't have that extra .1 mile in me.

exercise.png

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    Question for @HonuNui or anyone really. Does sunscreen expire? I found an almost full bottle in the back of the bathroom cabinet, but I didn't know if it was still good.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Third Winter almost makes me want to move back to BC.

Plus once the road bans are on work gets deader than a doornail.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

March goal: March

3/1 3.41
    3/2 3.68
    3/3 3.12
    3/4 rest
    3/5 6.50
    3/6 3.23
    3/7 5.56
    3/8 rest
    3/9 3.41
    3/10 4.01
    3/11 rest
    3/12 3.12
    3/13 4.00
    3/14 We took the living room and moved it downstairs to the dining room, moved the dining room to the library...
    3/15 and moved the library into the bedroom, which we moved upstairs into the former living room....heavy lifting....cleaning.....scrubbing.....furniture moving...
    3/16 3.00
    3/17 2.09
    3/18 3.09
    3/19 installed all new window coverings, sewed new chair cushions
    3/20 3.65
    3/21 life
    3/22 2.25

Total 54.12
    @kgirlhart Mayo clinic says 3 years, but there is often an expiration date on the container...
    @MobyCarp ouchie.....

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - thanks for soul searching. It is making me rethink my running as well. I want to run forever also and try to not worry about speed. But, it is addictive as you said.

Rest day. I think. Unless I decide to lift after school. But big cycling weekend so I should rest. ;)

3/1 - rest day
    3/2 - 5 miles + Strength training - W6-C
    3/3 - 26 miles cycling
    3/4 - 3 miles + strength training -w6-D
    3/5 - 3.5 miles + strength training W7-A
    3/6 - 4.5 miles
    3/7 - strength training W7-B
    3/8 - 4.5 miles + strength training W7-C
    3/9 - REST DAY!
    3/10 - 3.2 miles + strength training W7-D
    3/11 - 51 miles cycling
    3/12 - rest day
    3/13 -10K for the Run for the Deep + Strength training W8-C
    3/14 - Strength training W8-D
    3/15 - 4.5 miles w/tabatas
    3/16 - Strength training W8-A
    3/17 - 34 miles cycling
    3/18 - 47 miles cycling
    3/19 - 4 miles on treadmill.
    3/20 - 3.5 with tabatas
    3/21 - Strength training W8-D repeating week 8
    3/22 - 4.5 miles
    3@3 = REST

exercise.png

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

What are road bans? People can't drive on the roads?
  • Teresa502
    Options
    March 3 – 10.02 miles
    March 4 – 4.00 miles
    March 5 – 5.26 miles
    March 7 – 5.00 miles
    March 9 – 5.00 miles (treadmill)
    March 10 – 10.00 miles
    March 12 – 5.10 slow miles (treadmill)
    March 14 – 1 mile
    March 15 – 3.5 miles
    March 16 – 4.08 miles (Shamrock 4-miler; 3rd in AG)
    March 17 – 9.89 miles
    March 19 – 5.03 miles
    March 20 – 5.3 miles (Birthday Run)
    March 23 – 10.01 miles

Thanks to everyone for all the advice on running form. Today I concentrated on squeezing my butt cheeks, thrusting my hips forward and relaxing my shoulders. Never really felt my shoulders were tensed up but in race pictures I’ve noticed that my hands are practically in my face so I tried to focus on dropping them down. I did my long run today since we’re supposed to be getting snow and/or rain in the morning.

Upcoming Races:
    April 7 – Cooper River Bridge Run
    May 6 – Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon

exercise.png
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

Basically during spring thaw heavy trucks are banned from the gravel/dirt road system to keep them from getting torn up (because they will get churned to mud).

A lot (but not all) of our work comes in from those remote sites so things get pretty slow.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    March goal: Run END-SURE well, stay healthy and enter the final stages of Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

3/1- REST
    3/2- 4.3
    3/3- 13.3
    3/4- 14.3
    3/5- REST
    3/6- 7.4
    3/7- 6.7
    3/8- REST
    3/9- 4.2
    3/10- 24.8
    3/11- 11.4
    3/12- REST
    3/13- 9.3
    3/14- 6.7
    3/15- REST
    3/16- 4.4
    3/17- 19
    3/18- 13.5
    3/19- REST
    3/20- 4.3
    3/21- 6.9
    3/22- 3.6
    3/23- 5.1

Total: 159.2

Today's notes: 45 minutes easy road this morning. Got in just under 5.2 according to my Garmin, so 5.1 I'll call it. Tomorrow is sure to be interesting, with 6-9 inches (15-23cm) of snow falling on the race course between 1300 today and 0700 tomorrow. Glad it's a somewhat shorter race.

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2018 races
    3/24- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
    10/20- Wild Duluth 50k
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/1 - Rest / sick
    3/2 - Rest / sick
    3/3 - 4.25 miles. Beautiful day to run!
    3/4 - 4.5 miles. Wanted to do more, but ran out of gas.
    3/5 - Rest.
    3/6 - 4 treadmill miles. Trek class with a new instructor. She really likes inclines.
    3/7 - 4 treadmill miles.
    3/7 - Kids wanted to go to Y after dinner. So I did 30 minutes of weights and abs.
    3/8 - 4.1 treadmill miles. Trek class. Fewer hills, lots of tempo...fun!
    3/9 - Rest / travel day.
    3/10 - 3.1 treadmill miles, then quick strength. Rickety hotel treadmill.
    3/11 - Rest / travel day.
    3/12 - 6.2 miles. Gorgeous afternoon to run.
    3/13 - Unplanned rest day.
    3/14 - 4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights and abs.
    3/15 - 5 treadmill miles. Trek Class. Ouch! Does anyone really need to do tempo / sprint pace on incline 8?!?
    3/16 - Housework, shopping, no run.
    3/17 - 3.5 treadmill miles, then weights and abs.
    3/18 - 8 miles. Cool, overcast and no wind = great day to run!
    3/20 - 4.3 miles.
    3/21 - 4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights and abs.
    3/22 - 4 treadmill miles. Trek Class. Lots of tempo...it was enjoyable.
    3/23 - 4.7 miles.

67.65/80
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls - Wow, you run a crap ton of miles with little rest. Do you have an injury prevention routine? Do you mind sharing? Thanks!

Not really anything too grand. I am not fast, I am just enjoying myself, there really is no race in me. I am not into being any faster. The only improvement I desire is to go farther. I have been injured, but not by running. It is just age and life. I do not look into my times so much, only how much further can I go. My job is sedentary and my escape is to run so I can process the junk in my head. My cross training so to speak is yard work on my off days...lots of yard work. Before I run, I stretch. I am trying to work through my hip flexor being too tight, but so far it has not stopped me. Chiropractor wishes I would not run so much, I just tell him to fix it when I am down.

TLDR: do not run fast, you could fall and get hurt...

@AlphaHowls I love this explanation with all my soul.
  • Teresa502
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

Basically during spring thaw heavy trucks are banned from the gravel/dirt road system to keep them from getting torn up (because they will get churned to mud).

A lot (but not all) of our work comes in from those remote sites so things get pretty slow.

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn between Wild Duluth and now the forecast for ENDSURE, you seem to be a magnet for tough race weather. That makes me concerned about Zumbro! Stay safe up there this weekend!

@dreamer12151 so sorry to hear about your tough going. I do hope you can get that figured out soon!

@fitoverfortymom I dont' know about that pack in particular but Osprey is a very good brand, and with REI, you can always take it back if it doesn't work out for you. As far as trail racing, I find that while I'm all about the finish during a road race, when I'm in a trail race, it's about more a group effort. If someone nearby falls, you stop and make sure they're ok. If you find yourself running the same pace as someone else, you strike up a conversation. At the end of the race, it's not, "how did you place", but "how did your race go for you?". It's definitely more of a community effort and everyone is pulling for everyone else.

@girlinahat that guy is awesome! When I see something like that I get inspired, and I feel guilty for bitching about trivial matters.

@amymoreorless did you see the link posted by @lporter229 ? https://cincinnatifootcare.com/foot-care-tips-for-runners/ Check out #5 -
    if you find yourself scrunching your toes (blisters at the tips) consider lacing shoes a little tighter.
    I think it was you who asked about blisters on the tips of your toes.

@__TMac__ thanks for that podcast suggestion. I'll have to check it out. For anyone interested, here's the link: http://thattriathlonshow.libsyn.com/brain-training-and-psychobiology-of-endurance-performance-with-professor-samuele-marcora-ep17

@garygse well done helping that girl. How old was she? In my mid I'm thinking a young teenager but can't imagine she'd be released with no adult to take care of her.

@lporter229 I find myself skipping trail runs sometimes because the closest trail is 10 to 15 minutes away if I drive. I think to myself that if I start the run from my driveway, that's 2 or 3 more miles I could run in the time it takes to drive to a trail. I need to quit thinking that and do more midweek trail runs (which I'm currently doing as my 50M race looms large). It's good to figure out what it is about running which brings you the most joy. And there no reason it can't be more than one aspect, even if those aspects appear conflicting. My absolute favorite run in a long, slow trail run all by myself in the middle of the forest. That's when I feel closest to God and closest to myself. By I also love a good race...pushing myself, passing others, finishing well and getting new PRs. As you say, there is certainly an adrenaline rush there. For me it's about balance. Trail running will always be my primary running love, but I'll continue to run paved races for the thrill of competition.