April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I'm so angry I don't even know where to begin. I should have known from the first word out of the orthopedist's mouth that he was a bad fit - my husband was wearing a 5k shirt and the doctor's first words were, "You're not a RUNNER?" We thought he was joking but he wasn't joking - he said he believed in treating conservatively which means I'm not supposed to to anything for the foreseeable future and likewise he will do nothing. I explained wanting to get better so I could run and he said he didn't recommend running at any time for anyone and that I should get my exercise from swimming or cycling instead. Too angry to communicate with him in a very helpful fashion, but I did eventually get him to recommend me to a sports doctor who might actually someday help me, who can't give me an appointment for another TWO WEEKS. I explained that I literally can't go without exercise because I'm not on medication and I control my diabetes through exercise, and he said "Two weeks of high blood sugar won't kill you."

That really sucks. I would be tempted to report any doctor that said "high blood sugar will not kill you" cause, in fact, it could. Do you have a doctor for your diabetes you can call for help?

Okay, so you are stuck for two weeks. If we assume you have no option to speed that up then you need to be thinking about what you can do to balance that off. Do you have a pool you can use? Can you swim just for now until you see the sports doctor? What about drastic diet changes? How bad is your knee, can you at least walk? What about renting a wheelchair and doing laps around your block?

Also, can you call the sports doc directly and ask what you can do while waiting for an appointment? Sometimes they will have a nurse that can answer questions and give advice.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I decided to do my long run tomorrow, since today is basically a nation-wide water battle day and I thought a girl by herself in running clothes might be too much of a target. Didn't want to be miles from home and get drenched. Plus we have lunch plans with friends and I didn't want to get up early on a holiday.

Err? What is this nationwide water battle?

Śmigus Dyngus... it's an Eastern European thing I guess. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śmigus-dyngus
    It was a little on the cold side yesterday and apparently if you take the fun "too far", such as throwing water on a car or cyclist and causing an accident, or ruining a stranger's clothing with dirty water, police warned it could cross over into "hooligan activity" and result in a fine of up to more than $100. So I didn't really see anyone participating. Our kids couldn't find their water guns, and the neighbor kids are out of town, so it ended up being pretty boring, actually.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    4/1 rest
    4/2 rest
    4/3 2.5 miles on the treadmill
    Scheduled for 35 mins of cross training tomorrow
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    No run yesterday due to meetings, and looks like thunderstorms today... so might have to use my cheapie home dreadmill which is a lot less bearable than the fancy ones at work that can do things like random vary incline to help with the monotony. :(
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Trying to update my tracker...not going so well... lol

• PastorVincent
    Options
    goal this month it to just run! Maybe consistency will join me but it's whatever! I just need to get back out there!!

I would suggest that you set yourself a plan. something like "run every Tuesday and Thursday." Everyone is different of course, but most humans tend to be more likely to stick to something new if they have a plan and use a regular pattern of repetition.

Just a suggestion. :)
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    Im late posting, had a 4 day weekend. Im in for 75 miles

4/1-9 miles
    4/2-chest/back/legs

9/75 miles