You got this!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    PastorVincentPastorVincent
    04/01/18 - 8 Miles - 9:59 Pace
    04/02/18 - Rest
    04/03/18 - 10 miles - 9:27 Pace

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

04/07/18 - Achilles 9.3 Challenge (10k and 5k back to back)
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

It was raining, lightly, but in the 50s so I got to run in shorts and tshirt for the first time in a while. Of course, it looks like 20s for my race on Saturday... sheesh.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    7.4 on treadmill this am. The rain wasn't really too heavy for me to run outside but I worry about visibility and the dangers of cars on the road that can't see me. Such a worry wart, I must be getting old. should have ran slower but I wanted at least 7 and there was only so much time.

exercise.png
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Will set a goal for April of 130 miles. This month will be the first time since September of last year I am not under some type of training plan for either a half or full marathon, so I am just kind of pulling this number out of thin air. I still plan on sort of structuring my weekly running the same as a training plan with a long run every weekend with shorter runs during the week, but just don’t know how consistent I will be without an actual plan. We will see. I have a 5K this Saturday, first shorter race since Dec. Weather should be cool and conditions excellent to try for a PR. Hoping to get my time under 22 min.

I am also running C25K with my daughter who has restarted the program after having to stop in week 4 due to school work. Her schedule has freed up and she has time to start again. We are very proud of her as she was accepted to UNC Chapel Hill and will be attending this fall. She wants to run a 5K with me before she leaves for college so wish us luck.

April goal 130 miles

April 1 .......2 m.......MTD 2 C25K w Ash
    April 2 .......0 m.......MTD 2
    April 3 .......10 m.....MTD 12
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 and @Elise4270 - what do you think about creating an April Running Challenge under the Challenge
    section with the link back to this location since people seem to be having issues finding it this month?

That's up to Stan (and the group). Won't bother me a bit if it needs to be moved.
    ETA
    I see @PastorVincent mentioned there is one already. Idk. Y'all make the call. Make the move. Post the link and run with it :wink:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10655908/april-2018-running-challenge/

I may be able to close this thread, once I get on a computer.

Head 'em up, mooove 'em out.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »

I went to my chiropractor today. Appears to be shin splints. He is doubtful that I will make it to the marathon. Depressed, but still want to keep up here. No mileage for me at this time.

That's such a shame. Can you defer your entry to next year?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Found something new to check out. I'll be traveling in the area of this race this summer so I've poked my Uncle to see how familiar he is with the area and trails. Many many moons ago I hiked part of the Ultra course (I think I've summited Idaho Peak at least twice?) and it's spectacular but I'm more looking at the 10K.

http://kootenaysufferfest.com/idaho-peak-summit-race/
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @girlinahat Larch Valley beside Lake Louise might be prime fall colors.
    Google: Passport to the Peaks and Wilmore Wilderness Park - they are near Grande Cache which might be a bit to far. Anything in the Kananaskis/K-country that was mentioned before would be great. I am sure your sister is already researching. Bring a pair of runners, nothing like a mountain run.

@Teresa502 I never carry my phone when I run so they will have to be shots from friends and other runners I copy and paste. It's such a big event that I hope to meet @sarahthes on the Parks Canada plaza before/after the run.

@zerlinna87 You aced it with 2.1 miles in the big hills when your not used to them.
    The secret is that as you spend more time in the hills/mountains they get less intimidating. After a while they seem smaller and easier. It's like when you first started running a km/half mile was such a big distance, now its your warmup.
    I live in the bottom of a deep River Valley 250m climb to get out from deepest point. Early season it seems so hard, at the end of the season we have a seven peaks challenge ( open event no official timing ) to complete all 7 peaks and connecting trails. We tend to group up in pace matched support packs 5-6 hrs - About 36km and 1700m of elevation gain - 1525m loss.

Ironically I am off to the Jasper HM in the mountains this weekend and the elevation gain/loss is less than a run out of my river valley.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 and @Elise4270 - what do you think about creating an April Running Challenge under the Challenge
    section with the link back to this location since people seem to be having issues finding it this month?

There is one.

And hopefully next month we will go back to challenges were it makes the most sense to find this thread. :)

Yup! There is already one.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10655908/april-2018-running-challenge

We may have to bump it every so often so it doesn't get buried.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

That's up to Stan (and the group). Won't bother me a bit if it needs to be moved.
    ETA
    I see @PastorVincent mentioned there is one already. Idk. Y'all make the call. Make the move. Post the link and run with it :wink:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10655908/april-2018-running-challenge/

No need to close this thread. My opinion is to keep it as it is for this month and avoid any more confusion.

Thanks @Teresa502 First race in a year for me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

ETA

No need to close this thread. My opinion is to keep it as it is for this month and avoid any more confusion.

I agree. Let this month roll, and do May in the correct forum.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    4/1 - Start month on rest day, plus it's Easter = no burn + a lot of calories / hot cross buns.
    4/2 - 4 treadmill miles + upper body weights/abs.
    4/3 - Unplanned rest day.
    4/4 - 4 treadmill miles, then weights and abs.

8/110
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    April Goal: 110 miles

4/1: 6.2 miles
    4/3: 4.6 miles

10.8/110 miles completed

I never did update last night. I got in a 4.6 mile run. The wind was terrible. It was over 22 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. I really hate running in the wind like that, but I figured I might as well practice. There is no guarantee that it won't be windy on the day of the HM. I was supposed to do intervals yesterday, but I figured that just running was going to be hard enough so I will do my interval run today instead.

exercise.png

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @pastorvince good luck, we are all rooting for another PR.
    @Teresa502 thanks my wife gives me grief both ways. She'll ask if I was crazy enough to run in the bad weather then tease me because I avoided it. All in good fun of course.
    @MNLittleFinn you got this. I'm never running an ultra but I got think the mental battle is a good part of the challenge. Find the inner strength and use it.