Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    TicoCortez wrote: »
    kuftae wrote: »
    RivenV wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    TicoCortez wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Dom is funny and obviously satirical but most of the guys and gals I know that are in fantastic shape follow strict "bro diets" (chicken breast and broccoli) and "bro splits" (low frequency/ high volume training).

correlation =/= casuation

I agree that a lot of it is correlation. Still, me thinks that healthy food (high fiber, high protein, low sugar) = more energy = harder training and better recovery.

And for people who have no interest in "harder training" and following bro diets and bro splits to achieve "fantastic shape"? What do you recommend for them? Still need to avoid eating whatever your definition of processed food/junk food is?

I recommend trying eating a diet full of whole foods for a month and pay attention to how it affects your cognition and energy levels. If you think eating pasta if worth it still then go for it.

So why exactly is pasta, which I have pretty often in many different styles - but usually sauteed shrimp, asparagus, zucchini and squash in an light olive oil and garlic sauce hurting my cognition? What cognition issues do you think I'm having? Energy levels are also just fine, for someone who works about 50-60 hours/week, has two young kids, keeps a tidy house and fits in a decent amount of exercise in my 24 hours each day as well.

Pretty much all research on health in the past 10 years has eluded to the the fact that everybody digests and reacts differently to certain foods. That is why I said that I would recommend trying for a month.

Do what you want and I'm glad that you have found your way.
    eluded
    ELUDED

rolls-eyes-in-spanish-11693645.png

I say eluded because most of the double blind research provides such varying results for different populations. That eludes to the fact that we react differently.

She's rolling her eyes because it's 'allude' not "elude".

lol got me.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Funny enough, the ones who stick around, and are trying to really help others, are the ones in the first category. The people like you who suggest that anyone not bringing optimal nutrition into every single "is a calorie just a calorie" post is part of some cult... never seem to stick around.

So yeah, I'll continue to eat ice cream and pizza, and drink wine in moderation as part of an overall balanced diet, after achieving my weight loss goals and maintaining that healthy weight - get my 15K steps in at a slow pace, play with my kids instead of killing it at the gym, and continue to try to find fulfillment here as part of a member of this community.

Enjoy your broscience up there on your high horse. I'm sure the view is quite nice.

Some of us can’t eat ice cream and pizza. And some of us tried to be members of the community but were beaten into silence for relating our ‘CICO sure, but merely calorie counting wasn’t getting the scale to move for me’ experiences.

From our perspective we endured pedantic arguments and our points or questions stretched into straw man ridiculous statements and until we finally gave up. That is why some of us don’t stick around.

CICO is not calorie counting. It is an energy balance, and it is immutable. That doesn't mean that it is easy or intuitive for everyone to manipulate to achieve their desired results - but you seem to want to believe that you are a special snowflake for whom CICO doesn't apply. It's just not the case. You've stated repeatedly that you're an outlier, your maintenance calories are lower than someone else of similar stats. Ok, that's fine. I'm on the higher end - we balance each other out. You need less CI because you have less CO. That doesn't invalidate CICO, it just changes your starting point.

You've found a way of eating, and an IF plan that enables you to achieve a calorie deficit. Congratulations, you've managed to manipulate the CICO balance in the favor of CI<CO. That is all that any of us are recommending that someone does. Some people do IF, some people cut out certain calorie dense foods, some people increase their activity level so that they can accommodate more calories, some take diet breaks and focus on refeeds to keep their metabolism higher - these are all individualized strategies but they all just tools to manipulate CICO to achieve the desired results.

I'm sorry you feel you have been beaten into silence but challenging your misunderstanding of what CICO is, and how it works, isn't telling you that you should give up and not stick around. I'm glad you are finding success, I remember from your previous posts that you've been quite frustrated.

Lol. I never claimed CICO didn’t apply to me. I never denied the principal. All I say is that I once I figured out my CO (or got close) the real weight loss work was still ahead of me. It was not simple. It was not easy. I had to eliminate some foods completely from my diet. And I expect many others might feel the same - I’m hardly s special snowflake.

I cop to being frustrated in the past and to finding much of the forums less than helpful (much like CICO).

But yes, CICO - I can’t eat more than a certain amount of calories or I will gain weight. But you can be sure WHAT calories I eat make all the difference. Psychologically, from a satiety and satisfaction perspective, from a sustainability and compliance perspective WHAT I eat dictates my CI. Personally I can’t overeat broccoli, spinach, and lean meat proteins and the like. But I could easily eat my fill of potato chips and be 2 or 3 times over my calories and still be hungry.