April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited April 2018
    Today was a very, very bad running day. My plan was to run a quick-ish 1.5 miles. My hamstrings were still sore from whatever I did to myself on Monday, but I expected to work out of it the way I did yesterday. WRONG. I haven’t hurt this bad during a run since I first started my c25k program back in December. I looked and whimpered my way through 1.5 miles in about 20 minutes. My knees are hurting so badly that I was nearly in tears by the time I finished. Maybe I altered my gait in response to my stiff hamstrings and put too much stress on my knees? I don’t know. I’ll do ice and ibuprofen tonight. Fingers crossed that tomorrow goes better. My very first 5k is in only 10 days. :( Have any of you ever experienced something like this before?

Goal: 40 miles
    Today: 1.5 miles
    Total: 13.5 miles

Very good example of why you need to be very flexible in your training plans. Let your body dictate what you do for the day, not some piece of paper.

Another lesson, learn to run with a good gait and always strive to maintain it. If your body is so weak (illness, injury, soreness, ect) that you cannot maintain a good running gait, then it's better to take a rest day or just walk, than to force your body to do something wrong and cause further injury.

Remember: you don't become a better runner from running. You become a better runner from the rest and recovery after you run.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent great photo! You look like a Ninja runner.

I do have a black belt in American Freestyle Karate, am 2nd Green in Aikido, and ... well, you get the point. ;)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Welcome @jine1989!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    4/1 = rest day...sort of (moving day)
    4/2 = 9.5 miles
    4/3 = Vinyasa yoga class and 3.5 miles
    4/4 = 3 dreadmill Miles and 20 minutes strength training
    4/5 = travel for work
    4/6 = travel for work
    4/7 = 13 miles (Outlaw 1/2 Race)
    4/8 = rest day
    4/9 = 7 miles and strength training
    4/10 = yoga class
    4/11 = 10 miles
    4/12 = 3.5 miles

215 posts behind - gesh. Life has just been too crazy to keep up this month.

April mileage goal = 125 miles / April miles complete = 49.5 miles
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    Good luck on your race @fitoverfortymom !
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    4/1-9 miles
    4/2-chest/back/legs
    4/3-2.5 miles
    4/5-5.5 miles
    4/6-2.5 miles
    4/8-9 miles
    4/9-2.5 miles + shoulders and arms
    4/11-4 miles

35/75 miles
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @fitoverfortymom and @garygse -Good luck on your races this weekend!
  • PastorVincent
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Long runs in your aerobic zone that last for 90-150 minutes target your body to train to use more of a fat percentage. You begin your run relying more on sugar as the source of fuel, then as you get past 60 minutes to 90 minutes, your body is relying more on fat.

@Stoshew71, Is this still true if you consume carbs while you run? I know you cannot digest fast enough to make up for the burn, so wondering if you are hurting your usage of fat but drinking Gatorade or eating or whatever.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    To flip it back again for the "fat adapted runners"....

Why even bother to train to use fat as a fuel source if my body prefers sugar and can perform "better"?

1) There's more carbon atoms in a gram of fat than in a gram of glucose (sugar). Therefore, even though the process is more complicated to break it down into ATP, you can wield a lot more energy from fat than you do from sugar.

2) You can store way more fat in your body than sugar (glucose stored as glycogen). For shorter races, it's no big deal. But for something like marathon training and ultra-marathon training, you rather rely on fat more than glucose.

Fat adaption running (and some folks can explain it a lot better than me like @JessicaMcB) means that through diet and training, you have gotten to the point where ketone production is high and you no longer have to rely on carbs. I studied it a little bit, but don't follow it like others do. Many elites especially on the ultra scene have become fat adapted.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    4/1 - 4/8 ADK vacation, no running!
    4/9 5miles
    4/10 7miles
    4/11 5miles
    4/12 5.6miles

4 miles then 6 strides. My 4 miles were slower than the last few days, but my 30 second strides were around 6:15pace. Going to do my 10 miles tomorrow because Saturday I’ll be sitting around at a swim meet all morning.

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • PastorVincent

Long runs in your aerobic zone that last for 90-150 minutes target your body to train to use more of a fat percentage. You begin your run relying more on sugar as the source of fuel, then as you get past 60 minutes to 90 minutes, your body is relying more on fat.

@Stoshew71, Is this still true if you consume carbs while you run? I know you cannot digest fast enough to make up for the burn, so wondering if you are hurting your usage of fat but drinking Gatorade or eating or whatever.

Because your body prefers to use carbs as the fuel source because the process to break down sugar into pyruvate in the glycolysis pathway which is then used by the Krebs Cycle to oxidize the acetyl-CoA to form ATP is much simpler than the process that breaks down fat lipids into the fatty acids and glycerol which then are further broken down acetyl-CoA in order for the Krebs Cycle to create ATP. So if you are externally (through diet or consumption) supplying more carbohydrates, the body will prefer to use that as the fuel source especially if you are putting your body in a quick demand for energy (such as running).

That's why I don't suggest newer runners to supplement on the run with things like gels and Gu's or even Gatorade especially for shorter runs 30-60 minutes. Your body just doesn't need it. You have plenty of stored energy to get you through a short run. Newer runners need to develop that aerobic base where they get used to running more aerobically efficient. Aerobic efficient means things like: 1) forcing your body to take in more oxygen from the lungs into the blood (through increased hemoglobin production), 2) increasing the rate the blood flows oxygen to your muscles (increased heart strength & capillary production), 3) increasing the capability for the muscle cell to take in more oxygen and use it to produce ATP (increasing the number and size of your mitochondria). All of those things happen by running longer and longer at that Easy pace. And all of those things stop happening when you go beyond that and start relying more on anaerobic energy production. Thus the importance of running easy most of the time. To sum it all up, if you want to increase energy production, get your body used to using oxygen better, not supplementing more sugar that your body can't even really use without oxygen. [because Glycolysis alone produces only 2 ATP while the Krebs Cycle produces 32-38 ATP]

The flip side of this. The process to use fat as a fuel source and break it down into the more simpler chemical acetyl-CoA so ATP can be produced is very complicated. Also, your brain not only prefers carbs, but requires it. When long term carbohydrate deficits occur (i.e. low carbohydrate diets), your brain is forced to turn fatty acids into a chemical compound very similar to glucose called ketones. Thus ketogenesis diets and workouts. When your body is glucose deprived and ketogenesis has not kicked in (it takes a few weeks to do so) your brain goes into a panic and starts slowing down your activity. The feeling of "hitting the wall" occurs. Some people following a low carbohydrate diet and becoming what is called "fat adapted" will call this 2-3 week stage as the Atkins Flu. You become very sluggish, and in extreme conditions even see visions or even pass out. So if you are trying to run a workout at a certain performance pace, then maybe you don't want to fast or be in a carbohydrate deficit state. Or if you don't like that sluggish feeling 70 minutes into your run, then a little swallow of Gatorade (and even spitting it out) is enough to trick your brain that plenty of carbs are on the way and kick that energy level back forward.

But for a simple long run of 90 minutes where the goal is just run easy the whole way, I wouldn't suggest supplementing, unless you're doing some kind of "at pace" workout, OR you're trying to figure out what types of carbs work best for your body on the run.
    Interesting.

In my case I currently do runs as far as 2 hours I do with no fuel. I can do that at my goal MP without any issues. I have done half marathons at race pace with no fuel. As the weather turns hotter I will have to supplement with water and electrolytes cause I am an extremely heavy sweater.

I have run in the 17-20 mile range without fuel, but I have not done that with any rigorous tracking so not sure on impact yet. My plan for both the upcoming marathon and the ultra to carry Tailwinds and sip that as I go. They are too close now (first week of may) to do much about diet, just wondering if I should have pushed harder into no fuel runs.

I do not run fast though. I do nothing fasted as I use diet to control my glucose levels.