Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 *hugs*
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 thoughts and prayers for you girl. So sorry youre going through this
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    alc649 wrote: »
    Got my first running battle wound this morning. It wasnt a good run. I had to go to the bathroom twice..and i had to walk some because i had to go to the bathroom so bad..decided to cut it short but run the rest of the way home...then i fell. It was rough..i was almost in tears, thought about calling hubby to come get me but then he woldve had to wake the kids up and bring them. So i sucked it up..and just started running home. Ya know this run really sucked but it was kind of awesome too..because after this one i know without a doubt i am a runner. Because i kept going. I mightve cut the run short because i was out of time (hubby has to leave to go to work at 6) but i ran the rest of the way home. Ill never forget this one. Didnt get my distance..was supposed to get 3 miles only got 1.78. So ill be back out on the pavement tonight.

@alc649 - sorry you had a bad run, but you are starting to learn that the REAL strength of a runner is their WILLPOWER. Distance running is a mental game more than anything else. It is mental fortitude that gets the greats among us like @JessicaMcB and @MNLittleFinn and @mobycarp and many others in this thread through what they go through to be what they are.

So hats off to you, well done!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    slept in no run. Good day for a rest
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 Sending hugs and good vibes and well wishes your way.

@alc649 Sorry about the bad run! I've had my share of gnarly falls, and once the embarrassment and pain/soreness abates, you can come up with a fun story for the battle wound and laugh about it. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Got my first running battle wound this morning. It wasnt a good run. I had to go to the bathroom twice..and i had to walk some because i had to go to the bathroom so bad..decided to cut it short but run the rest of the way home...then i fell. It was rough..i was almost in tears, thought about calling hubby to come get me but then he woldve had to wake the kids up and bring them. So i sucked it up..and just started running home. Ya know this run really sucked but it was kind of awesome too..because after this one i know without a doubt i am a runner. Because i kept going. I mightve cut the run short because i was out of time (hubby has to leave to go to work at 6) but i ran the rest of the way home. Ill never forget this one. Didnt get my distance..was supposed to get 3 miles only got 1.78. So ill be back out on the pavement tonight.

That's the main thing that I got out of this. You sucked it up and ran the rest of the way homw. So what if you didn't get the distance you were aiming for? You got in time on feet and found out that you can keep going after a setback. That's what really matters. Oh, and don't listen to @PastorVincent he doesn't know what he's talking about when talking about me..... I'm not in the same league as @JessicaMcB or @MobyCarp

@eponine1984 Really sorry to hear that! prayers said for you!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - It was good with both the cheese and old bay. Quite addictive in fact. ;)
    @alc649 - sorry about your run! Sounds awful but wow, you sucked it up and finished!!! Amazing. Maybe you will have a scar from it. I've got one on my knee from a fall and I look at it and think... lift your damn feet when you are tired! (I tripped over a little blue reflector in the street that's about 1/2" tall).

4/1 - 3.65 miles to Buckingham Palace, + strength training W9-B
    4/2 -Tabatas in the hotel gym
    4/3 - 5 miles Hyde Park
    4/4 - strength training + 1 mile treadmill
    4/5 - 5 miles Hyde Park - last day in London
    4/6 - rest/travel day
    4/7 - 4 miles on treadmill
    4/8 - 25 miles cycling + strength training W9-C
    4/9 - 5 miles
    4/10 - strength training w9-D

exercise.png
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Its funny..it was dark so i couldnt really see the scrape until i got home in the house and when i started running again. i was hoping it would leave a scar.lol. im weird. Im kind of proud of it actually. Thanks for all the encouragement guys
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2018
    Options
    April goal: have a desire to live and run again on 4/15. Other than that, all bets are off. I might not even post mileage or much the second half of this month.

4/1- 10.9
    4/2- REST/travel
    4/3- 6.1
    4/4- 6.7
    4/5- REST
    4/6- 5.4
    4/7- REST
    4/8- 5.9
    4/9- REST
    4/10- 4.3

Total: 39.3

Today's notes: 45min easy pace trail run. about a mile of it ended up being on paved trail, since I was trying to avoid the places I had just seen the groomers go over at the ski hill. Second to last run before the big day. Tomorrow is another 45min, and then it'll be time to suffer.

Have a Runderful day all!

2018 races
    3/24- END-SURE 50k 6:39:35
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
    10/20- Wild Duluth 50k
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    That's the main thing that I got out of this. You sucked it up and ran the rest of the way homw. So what if you didn't get the distance you were aiming for? You got in time on feet and found out that you can keep going after a setback. That's what really matters. Oh, and don't listen to @PastorVincent he doesn't know what he's talking about when talking about me..... I'm not in the same league as @JessicaMcB or @MobyCarp

All the trees look equal to the blades of grass below.

Hahahahahahahahaha.... right.... I'm just a special needs teacher who runs to stay away from the bottle, nothing more than that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    shanaber, PastorVincent eh, the moment has past. I'm reminded by my niggling hamstring concerns and hip tightness, that running wouldn't be the wisest thing to try without the official go ahead.

What's on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon? And what can I binge eat?

Coming from the one who got a lecture from her pt today for the 4 miles yesterday... I am proud of you for resisting.

Also- my current Netflix binge could solve both your issues - great British baking show :D like I’m binge watching this badly enough I’m not keeping upwelling on this thread...

I like the Great British baking show! DD watches everything cooking. (And Ru Paul's drag race, and zombies)
    @zdyb23456 I like Monk. I've watched it :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Hahahahahahahahaha.... right.... I'm just a special needs teacher who runs to stay away from the bottle, nothing more than that.

Nice try Mr. I am running a 100-mile race in a few days. No one here is going to believe you :tongue:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Nice try Mr. I am running a 100-mile race in a few days. No one here is going to believe you :tongue:

Well... I believe me.......
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    That's the main thing that I got out of this. You sucked it up and ran the rest of the way homw. So what if you didn't get the distance you were aiming for? You got in time on feet and found out that you can keep going after a setback. That's what really matters. Oh, and don't listen to astorVincent he doesn't know what he's talking about when talking about me..... I'm not in the same league as JessicaMcB or MobyCarp

There's a lot of emerging science supporting running as a means of recovery. I think there's a program in Canada that specifically uses running for addiction recovery.

It was interesting information. RW had some featured stories if anyone is interested.

I believe it, too
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    A short 2 km recovery run yesterday. @shanaber Saturday HM cold and windy for the race - which temp wise was fine until you turned into the wind for the final 5-600m. Today ( 500km further north should = colder ) 13C Shorts and short sleeve tech T for a 2 km recovery run. Strangely my left ankle is tender but I don't remember rolling it or anything. As a Greying Blonde I have an impressive collection of 40SPF sunblock.
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    So many great races over the weekend! @sarahthes I love your photos, particularly the one of you and @juliet3455 and the one of you with your medal. Sound like it could have been a miserable time but love the way you kept it positive. @juliet3455 racing on ice does not sound appealing. You could really hurt something when you break traction, not to mention all effort your support muscles go through.
    @7lenny7 Getting hurt due to breaking traction was my biggest worry and yes the support muscles took a beating from breaking free. Fortunately the really bad sections were small but in-conveniently positioned right on the north face of small hills. I overheard one lady say it had a high pucker factor, which got a round of confirming laughter from other runners. I like your comment about bringing everything and using your truck as one big drop bag, which is exactly what I do. The bad part is people now know that I am geared up so when they misplace a glove they come looking for me and my spares. At the Jasper HM there were two runners I know who were injured but there to support family/friends. They said it was hard to stand at the start line and see everyone go out, then the eerie experience of the whole area empty and silent as there was no one left except a few other supporters.

@Elise4270 Asking Runners what they would do and what they think you should do is a minefield question. Of course we are all like you, we just want to get out and run. After my calf injury I am inclined to say follow your PT's advice as it will allow for a better recovery and long term injury free status. Compromise now for long term gains.
    I know for sure, though,that i definitely enjoy running outside more than the treadmill now. I get so bored on the treadmill.
    @alc649 She is one of us now, she has been assimilated :) especially since she now has a fall to her credit and sucked it up to finish. You now qualify for one of the group shirts Embrace the Suck.

@Teresa502 27,413 That's a lot of runners. My home town is about 9000 so just can't imagine the start delays.
    @Stoshew71 Great Time - The Oak Barrel lines up with my Jasper HM, give me another 2 years and then I will have to try and make a trip south, my cousin is in Nashville so a second excuse to make a trip and do a differant event.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    zerlinna87 wrote: »
    I also ran the CRBR on Saturday! I live in the Charleston area, and this was not my first time running it. It sounds like you came in from out of town to run? It is a very large race and very crowded. I actually thought it was better planned than previous years, but I definitely agree that it's a lot of people, especially at the end. My sister told me it's the third largest 10k in the US. I'm glad you had a good time!

Congratulations to you also! Yes, we drove from NE Tennessee - about a 5 1/2 hour drive. We made it a long girls weekend and had a great time. Ate way too much good food!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    That's the main thing that I got out of this. You sucked it up and ran the rest of the way homw. So what if you didn't get the distance you were aiming for? You got in time on feet and found out that you can keep going after a setback. That's what really matters. Oh, and don't listen to astorVincent he doesn't know what he's talking about when talking about me..... I'm not in the same league as JessicaMcB or MobyCarp

There's a lot of emerging science supporting running as a means of recovery. I think there's a program in Canada that specifically uses running for addiction recovery.

It was interesting information. RW had some featured stories if anyone is interested.

I believe it, too

See @PastorVincent ? someone else who knows that there's nothing special about me.