WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2018

Options

Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    :) Machka... so good to hear the update.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    In the interest of accuracy,

In the USA, the minimum accepted standard for screening is published by the US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), which:

"recommends screening for colorectal cancer using fecal occult blood testing, sigmoidoscopy, or colonoscopy in adults, beginning at age 50 years and continuing until age 75 years. The risks and benefits of these screening methods vary."

In Canada, the Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care says:

"We recommend screening adults aged 60 to 74 for CRC (Colorectal Cancer) with FOBT (Fecal Occult Blood Test) (either gFOBT or FIT) every two years OR flexible sigmoidoscopy every 10 years.
    (Strong recommendation; moderate quality evidence)

We recommend screening adults aged 50 to 59 for CRC with FOBT (either gFOBT or FIT) every two years OR flexible sigmoidoscopy every 10 years.
    (Weak recommendation; moderate quality evidence)

We recommend not screening adults aged 75 years and over for CRC.
    (Weak recommendation; low quality evidence)

We recommend not using colonoscopy as a screening test for CRC.
    (Weak recommendation; low quality evidence)"

In Australia, the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program (NBCSP) "invites eligible people starting at age 50 and continuing to age 74 (without symptoms) to screen for bowel cancer using a free, simple test at home. Australia has one of the highest rates of bowel cancer in the world. Around one in 23 Australians will develop bowel cancer during their lifetime. The NBCSP aims to continue to reduce deaths from bowel cancer through early detection of the disease.

Overall population screening strategy:

The recommended strategy for population screening in Australia, directed at those at average risk of colorectal cancer and without relevant symptoms, is immunochemical faecal occult blood testing every 2 years, starting at age 50 years and continuing to age 74 years.

An immunochemical faecal occult blood test is recommended as the screening modality for the detection of colorectal cancer in the average-risk population.

The emerging faecal, blood or serum tests for cancer-specific biomarkers such as DNA are not recommended as population screening modalities for colorectal cancer.

The use of flexible sigmoidoscopy as a primary screening test is not recommended for population screening in the average-risk population."

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Machka- i'm glad that your husband is progressively getting better! (((Hugs))) and prayers to you and him!

Pip- i'm sorry to hear about the difficulty that Kirby is having. We will keep him in our prayers.

We are getting our RV washed and waxed today. I will be doing my Kettlebell exercises and swim and hot tub today. I really am bored when my husband is working during the day. I think that is why I pursued this teaching position. I should be getting my contract sometime next week.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I cleaned and vaccumed and will have some lunch in a bit.. today it is cloudy but supposed to get up close to 70 though it doesnt feel like it...
    my SIL is coming down when the financial advisor comes, as she is very very savvy with what her dad left for her to take care of.. and she doesnt want me getting scammed , she will set back and listen and make sure I dont sign my life away lol.
    Pip~ will continue to keep you both in my prayers and Machka what wonderful news, slow and steady wiins the race..
    did some raking out on the patio...and thrw out the garbage,.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lenora: Office politics can certainly be a huge problem. I'm so glad your boss went to bat for you against the evil queen. :devil: I agree with your advice to Allie to talk to an attorney about her dad's situation. :star:

Lisa: Safe travels! I hope you love your new home. :heart:

Trish: Thanks for the tip regarding granulated lime at Amazon. If I can't find it locally I'll look there. Right now I have a full container and I'm using it to replace garlic powder and onion powder with satisfactory results. :bigsmile;

Carol in GA: We see a lot of folks who leave their handicap tag hung on the rearview mirror all the time. I think it would interfere with visibility. DH only hangs his when parked. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I am so glad your DH has been moved from ICU to the neurosurgical ward. This seems like great progress. Watching what is going on around him, frowning when displeased and raising eyebrows to show interest all seem like wonderful signs of improvement. :heart:

Margaret: DH & I each had an initial colonoscopy several years ago. My current doctor has a do it yourself sample collection of poo that you smear on little cards and return to the lab. The lab analyses the poo to let you know if you are doing okay or need to have the colonoscopy for more information. The do it at home sample collection has to be done every year rather than once every six years of so, but it is so much less invasive. Colonoscopy prep is horrible, in my opinion. I had to drink a vile liquid and then spend hours on the potty. It certainly cleaned out my insides. I had cramping in the car all the way to the surgical center, about 35 miles on the highway & through Portland traffic. I would prefer to avoid that if at all possible. :noway: When it was DH's turn we stayed the night in a hotel near the surgical center. That was a better choice. :star:

Pip: I take a bunch of vitamins every morning, along with one prescription pill, and also have a once weekly bone density pill that has its own routine and rules. We each keep all our med bottles in the medicine cabinet and then fill pill organizers to help us get the medicine taken daily. The pill keepers can be gotten at all the pharmacies in our area and are also available on Amazon. We even had one of those for the dog after his injury last December. If you aren't already using a system like that, it would be worth a try. Google pillkeepers and see what you think. DH has the Capsuline version & I have the PrintedWeekly Pill Organizer. Mine is an am and pm system, but I don't need that and just use am for one week and pm for the next. Good luck! :heart:

It is time for me to go to yoga. I hope all of you have a great day

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
    William James
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    i dunno what u guys are talking about, colonscopy's rock!!!!!!!! i had them keep me awake so i could watch.

katla - we've tried it all, aware of the pill sorter stuff, tried it all. we do better w/giving our dogs pills than us. that GOD we don't take any meds, we'd b doomed
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Becca - is that photo Deception Pass? Sounds like you are settling in just fine! So happy for you!

Lanette
    Rainy and windy SW WA State where I'm glad it's not 20 degrees cooler or we'd be having a blizzard!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Pip: I also asked to watch during my colonoscopy. They had me out of pain, but conscious. I remember seeing a little of the inner me. They said they removed one benign polyp and that I should see them again in six years. In the interim we switched to the non-invasive poo card system and get tested annually for free. (No horrible prep.) :embarassed:

Lanette: I also take 5000 units of D3 daily. I started many years ago at a lower dose and increased to 5000 a couple of years ago. The information coming out of Alzheimers research prompted me to up my dose. 5000 IU is thought to be a suitably protective level. I got that information from OHSU a few years ago but couldn't find it there again more recently. The series of programs that you shared was a godsend. They were so informative and full of strategies and hope, that I now feel more confident, better in general, and possibly even smarter. I also participate in yoga several times a week as well as other physical activities including horseback riding. :star::heart: :star:

Rebecca: I love the photo of the Deception Pass Bridge. We've been over it by car and also under it by boat once. We went under it years ago in a borrowed boat. It was more adventure than we liked and we found other ways to move our boats southward that are less frightening. Going OVER the pass on the bridge is delightful. :bigsmile:

Yoga today was amazingly full. It turns out that it was a day off from school and the yoga class was full of teachers in addition to retuning snowbirds and the regular group. I'm glad I went.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
    C. S. Lewis
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I had my first colonoscopy at the age of 50; next one at the age of 60; then had one about 3 years ago; this one is because I have severe tenderness in my belly and bloating. Sonogram of liver and pancreas was normal - Thank you, Jesus! They did the endoscopy and put a chip down in my esophagus and I had to wear what they called a BRAVO box which has 5 buttons on it that you would punch until the light came on and punch it each time you coughed (or cleared your throat), burp, eat or drink, have indigestion, or sleep and had to wear it for 48 hours and told I could drop it off at the front desk if they were closed. Well, let me tell you something ... I got my exercise that night. First stop at the building where it was done, tried door, locked ... well, it was after 5:00pm; old lady sitting on bench just sat there. So went to the main door; locked but people standing in the lobby - lights out. Visiting hours are from 9:00am until 7:00pm. Apparently you have to find the special door and know the special handshake. So I walk over to the 'discharge door' (which only opens out). Lady sitting there behind a small desk. You would have thought I had a gun pointed at her. She turned and another lady came to the desk and she, too, looked at me as if I had lost my mind. I held up the box which was 'in a Ziploc bag (so it would not get damaged and the paperwork I had to keep up with stayed with it. The 2nd lady called 'security'. I held up the box and yelled, "I need to turn this into the SurgiCare - or leave it at the front desk (although nobody was there. The lady at the desk told me to turn at the next left, go to the green elevators and punch 2nd floor ... so I walked between the hospital and the 2nd MD's building - where I already knew it was closed; but, I did it anyway. Figured that maybe there would still be people waiting to have procedures. Got to the 2nd floor and nobody there, lights out, door locked ... so I go back to the lobby of the hospital and wait for a few moments ... don't see anybody coming in or going out the door. I finally asked the lady 'if she worked there'. Since she did, she went back to the discharge door and after a while, I walk back there. I guess her 'ride' came and she was just standing there watching for them to arrive. By this time, I figured that Louis was getting upset; so I go back to the desk and rather than ask the woman sitting there I told the security guard what I was attempting to do; so he walks me to the elevator that is 'inside' Starbucks and I would have never seen it. I push 2 and get out to an empty desk. To the left of it, there were 3 black people and they kept looking at me. I figured maybe one of them should have been at the desk; but, they were talking loudly and laughing eve harder. Turned around when I heard somebody talking in the waiting area to the right. About that time a 'surgeon' walked out a set of doors and went over to talk to the 2 men about whoever he had just operated on. So I take a strategic stance so that he'd have to walk through me or specifically around me. He asked if he could help me ... I tell him what I had done and he said, walk with me ... we walk through the door and we're in the recovery room (little booths separated by sheets. I am just 'floored' at that point. He turns and tells me 'come on'. I go through a 2nd set of door and there is a receptionist and a nurse and he told her to take the box so it would go up to the Gastroenterology Department. I told her that the hospital's GastroMDs were not the ones who performed the procedure, that I had had it done by a MD that had his own office. She told me that it would go there anyway. At that point, I don't even remember 'how I got out of there'. I 'think' she walked me back through the 'recovery room'. So, then I had to go back out the 'discharge door' (which opens 'out' only). I get to the car and Louis says he was beginning to think they had committed me. I laughed and told him what all I had to do. I swear I must have walked nearly 2 miles inside the hospital. If you come to visit someone between 5:00 and 7:00pm - you must have to come to a different area. How would they know you even had the right to be there or that you did not have a bomb or gun with you. You can't walk past the main counter without being stopped (unless you look like you're 'on a mission'. I've done that before.

I don't want to go back there, now I know how the mean-spirited MD sent me off to another hospital. She could do it without anybody 'knowing' it. Usually, if I have had to go to the hospital, I always ask to be taken to the "North Campus" - if it is 'life threatening' I guess they would end up sending me back to the main hospital through the ER. I need to ask my Neurologist 'if' he even comes to the North Campus. I know he doesn't go to Phoebe Americus, they have their own MDs (most 'contract' MDs). I know when Louis has had to go to his Urologist, they have told him NOT to go to the hospital's ER; but, to instead call them and the MD 'on call' will meet them at their office. Going to the ER would mean that any MD he saw would NOT be a Urologist and they don't need to be working on his privates. That's scary.

I'm just very tire of being poked and prodded. I'm like Pip in that connection, I want to them find out what is going on and why - then I can own it and figure out what I need to do next.

Well, I'm so tired of listening to the news and I will read my book. Have a great 13th. So far nothing has happened, I was in the 13th mode yesterday.

Lenora
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC, I think driving with the handicapped "sticker" hanging from the rear view mirror is illegal in certain states and/or provinces, the idea is to hang it on once you've parked.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island