April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @huntleigh3229 congrats on the race! To be that close to your road PB is pretty amazing. Are you going to find another trail race to enter now?

@NikolaosKey you run a 5K race and don't give us a report!?!?!

@sarahthes very nice race! Yep, best thing to do for puddles is charge right through them. People spend much too much time and effort avoiding them and they usually end up getting wet anyway. Well done!

@kevaasen so have you looked for another trail race to enter? Fantastic race! With a finish like that you have to do more! I didn't care for my first trail running experience and look how I turned out.

@katharmonic excellent race and congrats on the PR! Congrats to your friend too!

I forgot to post this with my update.

2018 Races, and beyond (Registered & Planned)
    02/24/2018 - Psycho Wyco 20M - Kansas City, KS - 5:31:00 - Nasty mudfest
    04/14/2018 - Zumbro 50 Mile - Theilman, MN - DNF 34.5 Miles
    05/19/2018 - Superior Spring 50K - Lutsen, MN
    07/04/2018 - Red Wing 4th of July 5K - Red Wing, MN
    07/07/2018 - Afton 25K Trail Race - Hastings, MN (volunteer?)
    09/15/2018 - Outrun Hunger 5K - Savage, MN
    09/22/2018 - In Yan Teopa 10M Trail Race - Frontenac, MN (volunteer?)
    10/13/2018 - Big Woods Run Trail Half Marathon - Nerstrand, MN
    01/26/2019 - Securian Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    02/23/2019 - Psycho Wyco 50K - Kansas City, KS
    04/13/2019 - Zumbro 50M - Theilman, MN
    04/27/2019 - Tillamook Burn 50K - Reehers Camp, OR
    04/28/2019 - Tillamook Burn 20M - Reehers Camp, OR
    05/18/2019 - Superior Spring 50K - Lutsen, MN (Lottery)
    09/07/2019 - Superior Fall Marathon - Lutsen, MN (Lottery)

I would like to do more but there aren't that many around here that are short enough for me just now! The 7k in July is part trail and the 10k in October is all trail.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Today is a rest day. Got the oil changed in the snowblower and lawnmower, and got the lawn mowed for the first time this season . . . after seeing snow in the air less than a week ago. Go figure.

So what does a runner do on a rest day in the middle of a reverse taper? Think about future races, of course!

I had bought a VIP package from Marathon Tours for Boston. The charter bus to the start may well have saved my race. Along the way, I heard some marketing about the Abbott World Majors and the Seven Continent Club. I will never complete either of those projects, because I'm not interested in international travel. But it would be kind of cool to say I'd run the 3 world majors that are in the United States. Marathon Tours has guaranteed entry for all the world majors except Boston . . .

Well, the cost of guaranteed entry to New York is $550. It doesn't say, but I assume the actual entry fee is in addition to that. Let's look at the TCS New York City Marathon web site. Besides the lottery, you can get in with charity fund raising (a non-starter for me) or by time qualifying. The qualifying standards are listed for 2018, with a sentence saying they aren't expected to change for 2019. The qualifying time for men age 60-64 is . . . a 3:34 marathon or a 1:41 half marathon. First come first serve on a finite number of slots, unless you qualify at a NYRR race.

I'd already known I could qualify for NY by running just about any half marathon; but I time qualified for New York at Boston! Gotta think about this. Running Boston *and* New York in 2019 will be expensive, have to work on the budget. But still . . . it's sure attractive to not be taking a chance on the lottery.

Maybe I should run Rochester 2018, just to prove (or disprove, sigh) the hypothesis that I'm capable of running two marathons in one year. Then by next January when New York registration opens, I'll know one way or the other. Rochester is geographically much more challenging than New York, but economically and logistically much easier for me.

Chicago is a tougher nut to crack. Last time I looked, men needed to run a 3:15 marathon to time qualify, with no break for being an old fart. Oh, well. If push comes to shove, I can throw my name into the lottery. But since I time qualified for New York 2019 (assuming no change in qualifying standards), that's the next one to look at.

FYI- Chicago recently updated qualifying times for 2018. I'm 52 and would need a less than 3:40 to get in assuming they keep the same marks for 2019). For a guy that can run Boston, you can now run Chicago in 2019.

Age Group Men’s Women’s
    16-29 3:10 3:40
    30-39 3:15 3:45
    40-49 3:25 3:55
    50-59 3:40 4:15
    60-69 4:00 4:55
    70-79 4:30 5:45
    80+ 5:10 6:30
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @huntleigh3229 congrats on the race! To be that close to your road PB is pretty amazing. Are you going to find another trail race to enter now?

@NikolaosKey you run a 5K race and don't give us a report!?!?!

@sarahthes very nice race! Yep, best thing to do for puddles is charge right through them. People spend much too much time and effort avoiding them and they usually end up getting wet anyway. Well done!

@kevaasen so have you looked for another trail race to enter? Fantastic race! With a finish like that you have to do more! I didn't care for my first trail running experience and look how I turned out.

@katharmonic excellent race and congrats on the PR! Congrats to your friend too!

I forgot to post this with my update.

2018 Races, and beyond (Registered & Planned)
    02/24/2018 - Psycho Wyco 20M - Kansas City, KS - 5:31:00 - Nasty mudfest
    04/14/2018 - Zumbro 50 Mile - Theilman, MN - DNF 34.5 Miles
    05/19/2018 - Superior Spring 50K - Lutsen, MN
    07/04/2018 - Red Wing 4th of July 5K - Red Wing, MN
    07/07/2018 - Afton 25K Trail Race - Hastings, MN (volunteer?)
    09/15/2018 - Outrun Hunger 5K - Savage, MN
    09/22/2018 - In Yan Teopa 10M Trail Race - Frontenac, MN (volunteer?)
    10/13/2018 - Big Woods Run Trail Half Marathon - Nerstrand, MN
    01/26/2019 - Securian Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    02/23/2019 - Psycho Wyco 50K - Kansas City, KS
    04/13/2019 - Zumbro 50M - Theilman, MN
    04/27/2019 - Tillamook Burn 50K - Reehers Camp, OR
    04/28/2019 - Tillamook Burn 20M - Reehers Camp, OR
    05/18/2019 - Superior Spring 50K - Lutsen, MN (Lottery)
    09/07/2019 - Superior Fall Marathon - Lutsen, MN (Lottery)

I would like to do more but there aren't that many around here that are short enough for me just now! The 7k in July is part trail and the 10k in October is all trail.

um that would be a no :D

For now, I'm going with the photo I posted on my trail race https://www.strava.com/activities/1522640369 taking the slogan from the most interesting man in the world commercials...."I don't always run Trail Races, but when I do it's Earth Day". So Earth Day 2019 is a possible option, but only after London turns me down in the lottery :D
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    4.6km today. Another beautiful day around 17°C.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @elise4270 - awesome to see you able to get even a little bit of running in! You win the patience award!
    @pastorVincent - 1000 extra calories a day for running! Wow, I don’t think I could do that unless it was pure junk food. Of course next week you will need to carb load. :wink:

How do you think I got fat in the first place? :lol: Seriously, I am permanently hungry, and no matter what or how much I eat, I never ever feel full. MFP has been a godsend for tracking what I eat so I have an idea of what I am doing.

But, I burn probably around 110 calories per mile... during training weeks when things go well run 50-60 miles.. so that is over 5000 extra calories a week. During taper, I will lose those spare calories. It will feel like I am fasting! :lol:

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today, started a new job BUT did check out their gym. It is as I expected. 4 or 5 Dreadmills with indivual TVs, a handful of machines and free weights - but it is largely unused. Also, there is a park nearby (within a few blocks) that has some historic trail thing you can run that is reportedly a safe area to run. So will be looking for that soon.

The gym has an ONE TIME FEE of $20 USD. Dang. That's like essentially free.

Commute home during rush hour sucks. So thinking on days I have to stay late I will just go run at the park or on the dreadmills and wait out rush hour. Most days I hope to leave before rush our and run when I get home. Time will tell.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 4/8 ADK vacation, no running!
    4/9 5miles
    4/10 7miles
    4/11 5miles
    4/12 5.6miles
    4/13 10miles
    4/14 5miles
    4/15 rest
    4/16 6.5miles
    4/17 5miles
    4/18 8.89miles
    4/19 5miles
    4/20 11miles
    4/21 6miles
    4/22 rest
    4/23 6.15miles

Phew a tough run today. 5x 1mile at HM pace with 2 minutes rest, except I did more like 10k and 5k pace. Put a cork me, I was done after that last mile! I was so happy to finish because I was seriously contemplating postponing the workout until tomorrow cause I really didn’t feel like running at all today. Now it’s done and I can run an easy 5 tomorrow!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K

10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Today is a rest day. Got the oil changed in the snowblower and lawnmower, and got the lawn mowed for the first time this season . . . after seeing snow in the air less than a week ago. Go figure.

So what does a runner do on a rest day in the middle of a reverse taper? Think about future races, of course!

I had bought a VIP package from Marathon Tours for Boston. The charter bus to the start may well have saved my race. Along the way, I heard some marketing about the Abbott World Majors and the Seven Continent Club. I will never complete either of those projects, because I'm not interested in international travel. But it would be kind of cool to say I'd run the 3 world majors that are in the United States. Marathon Tours has guaranteed entry for all the world majors except Boston . . .

Well, the cost of guaranteed entry to New York is $550. It doesn't say, but I assume the actual entry fee is in addition to that. Let's look at the TCS New York City Marathon web site. Besides the lottery, you can get in with charity fund raising (a non-starter for me) or by time qualifying. The qualifying standards are listed for 2018, with a sentence saying they aren't expected to change for 2019. The qualifying time for men age 60-64 is . . . a 3:34 marathon or a 1:41 half marathon. First come first serve on a finite number of slots, unless you qualify at a NYRR race.

I'd already known I could qualify for NY by running just about any half marathon; but I time qualified for New York at Boston! Gotta think about this. Running Boston *and* New York in 2019 will be expensive, have to work on the budget. But still . . . it's sure attractive to not be taking a chance on the lottery.

Maybe I should run Rochester 2018, just to prove (or disprove, sigh) the hypothesis that I'm capable of running two marathons in one year. Then by next January when New York registration opens, I'll know one way or the other. Rochester is geographically much more challenging than New York, but economically and logistically much easier for me.

Chicago is a tougher nut to crack. Last time I looked, men needed to run a 3:15 marathon to time qualify, with no break for being an old fart. Oh, well. If push comes to shove, I can throw my name into the lottery. But since I time qualified for New York 2019 (assuming no change in qualifying standards), that's the next one to look at.

FYI- Chicago recently updated qualifying times for 2018. I'm 52 and would need a less than 3:40 to get in assuming they keep the same marks for 2019). For a guy that can run Boston, you can now run Chicago in 2019.

Age Group Men’s Women’s
    16-29 3:10 3:40
    30-39 3:15 3:45
    40-49 3:25 3:55
    50-59 3:40 4:15
    60-69 4:00 4:55
    70-79 4:30 5:45
    80+ 5:10 6:30

Dang, there's no challenge at all to that standard; it's easier than Boston for me. But I'm not dumb enough to attempt Chicago and New York in the same year. Maybe a durable young guy could do that.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 The High Water music festival. Great line up if you like Americana/ Rock/ Folk/ Soul...
    Every set we saw was outstanding but highlights for me were Valerie June and Brandie Carlisle. They killed it. It was a fantastic weekend. I will have to catch up on this thread tomorrow!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    After five days of no running thanks to being away in DC with work, I finally got outside for a nine mile run tonight. And it was a beautiful evening. Lovely and sunny, 66 deg F with just a tiny bit of a breeze. My plan had been to go to the gym on my way home from work, but there was no chance I was going to give up the opportunity to run outside instead.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job to all who raced road and trail - I know I missed commenting on some before and after my own race. @sarahthes and @huntleigh3229, congrats on your races.

@7lenny7 sounds like quite a trail run. Glad your fall wasn't worse, looking pretty hard core all muddy and bloody.

I roadtripped it back home today. The long drive was made better by the beautiful sunny day and it was such a treat to get out of the car into 70 degree weather.

I'm taking a little rest from running after my race, but did some nice deep stretch yoga today, which felt great from post-race and post-car ride soreness.

I'll also update my list of planned and possible races:

4/22/18 Owens Corning Half Marathon, Toledo OH PR!!
    5/12/18 Right to Run 19K (maybe?, not signed up quite yet), Seneca Falls, NY
    6/3/18 Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon
    6/6/18 JP Morgan Corporate Challenge (3.5 mile) (still not decided on this one either), Syracuse NY
    7/8/18 Boilermaker 15K, Utica NY
    8/19/18 Falmouth Road Race (7 miles, pending group getting in by lottery)
    8/26/18 18.12 Challenge (maybe???, also not signed up yet), Sackets Harbor, NY
    10/28/18 Marine Corps Marathon, Arlington VA