cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    10.25 run through DC

exercise.png

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I just hope my new shoes get here before Sunday when I do my long run. I'm sure the increased mileage is part of why my feet are achy, but I have 349.8 miles on my shoes and I really think that that is most of the problem.

Just my two cents...May not be a great idea to do your long run in brand new shoes :'(
    But hope you feel better after your yoga and rest day!

@sarahthes: I feel your pain. I have felt the same hip/butt pain for a couple weeks now. Think I was over zealous on leg day a couple weeks back. But it is starting to feel better, so have faith! Time heals all wounds, right?

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I'm so jealous! I was at the Narrows last September, but it was Labor Day and it was absolutely heaving with people with no room to move. Definitely want to go back there.

We started fairly early but apparently are some of the few that tried to reach the turn around. We saw the same few people and the bulk of peoplenonce we got back toward the start.

I'm disappointed we didn't get the whole thing because we were so close but it just wasn't meant to be. We were super close, maybe a mile or less from Big Springs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I'm so jealous! I was at the Narrows last September, but it was Labor Day and it was absolutely heaving with people with no room to move. Definitely want to go back there.

We started fairly early but apparently are some of the few that tried to reach the turn around. We saw the same few people and the bulk of peoplenonce we got back toward the start.

I'm disappointed we didn't get the whole thing because we were so close but it just wasn't meant to be. We were super close, maybe a mile or less from Big Springs.

Our trip to Zion (also Grand Canyon North Rim and Lake Powell) was one of my favorite ever. So many breathtaking moments, it's hard to pick a favorite. Hiking the Narrows was definitely cool. It was like walking on bowling balls. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. What else do you have on your agenda?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Our trip to Zion (also Grand Canyon North Rim and Lake Powell) was one of my favorite ever. So many breathtaking moments, it's hard to pick a favorite. Hiking the Narrows was definitely cool. It was like walking on bowling balls. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. What else do you have on your agenda?

We did a very similar trip about 4 years ago and unfortunately it was before I started running. Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon North Rim, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, kayaking Lake Powel, and Four Corners. We loved them all except Four Corners (total waste of time).

We went to the lower antelope canyon and I was able to get a photographers pass which meant I was able to stay twice as long (2 hours I think) and completely on my own. The rest of the fam had to stay with the guided group tour.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

We did a very similar trip about 4 years ago and unfortunately it was before I started running. Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon North Rim, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, kayaking Lake Powel, and Four Corners. We loved them all except Four Corners (total waste of time).

We went to the lower antelope canyon and I was able to get a photographers pass which meant I was able to stay twice as long (2 hours I think) and completely on my own. The rest of the fam had to stay with the guided group tour.

I did a whirlwind tour of AZ last month and it was my favorite trip yet. Sedona, Grand Canyon, Antelope canyon, Horseshoe Bend, lake Powell, monument valley then back down to Phoenix.

I want to go back again and hit the northern rim of the canyon (it was closed for winter last month) and Zion, Bryce and more of Utah.

Absolutely stunningly gorgeous places. All of them.

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    Apr  03     3.7        3.7 
    Apr  06     3.7        7.4 
    Apr  07     4.4       11.8 
    Apr  14     3.7       15.5 
    Apr  18     3.7       19.2 
    Apr  22     4.5       23.7
    Apr  24     3.7       27.4
    Apr  26     3.7       31.1

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

That would be awesome! You know there is an ultra through antelope canyon, right? ;)

We spent a day kayaking Lake Powel as well. That was truly amazing, kayaking along the canyon walls, knowing how deep that water is. Other highlights included a repelling trip outside of Zion and hiking Angel's Landing. But I think the most memorable moment of that trip for me was when we were camping at the campground in Springdale, right outside of Zion. It started thunder storming in the middle of the night. I awoke to the sound of thunder reverberating off of the canyon walls. You could literally hear it bounce from one wall to the other, getting louder as it made its way toward you through the canyon. I just laid there and listened and watched the light show through the tent. The rain never got so hard that we had to seek refuge in the truck, so it was just a magical experience. One I will never forget!

That sounds just incredible!

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    First though... I need make myself taper... look at all that sunshine out there today... temps in the upper 50s... never had this weather in training!

Peak...don’t taper! ;)

Agree with @MobyCarp that less is more but I also like the advise in this article on the subtle differences

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/dont-taper-peak/

Great article about how to taper well. Thank you for sharing!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    I just hope my new shoes get here before Sunday when I do my long run. I'm sure the increased mileage is part of why my feet are achy, but I have 349.8 miles on my shoes and I really think that that is most of the problem.

Just my two cents...May not be a great idea to do your long run in brand new shoes :'(
    But hope you feel better after your yoga and rest day!

@sarahthes: I feel your pain. I have felt the same hip/butt pain for a couple weeks now. Think I was over zealous on leg day a couple weeks back. But it is starting to feel better, so have faith! Time heals all wounds, right?

I didn't think about that. But would it be better to do it in shoes that are already hurting my feet?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    I didn't think about that. But would it be better to do it in shoes that are already hurting my feet?

Yeah, that's a tough one. If the new shoes are similar to your existing shoes (same brand, similar specs [i.e. weight, heel/toe drop, cushioning, stiffness, stability control, etc.]) then you are probably better off going with the new shoes if your old shoes hurt that much. But if they are vastly different, you'd be wise to break them in slowly.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart if these are a model you've worn before, go ahead an use the new shoes, particularly if your old shoes cause pain. There's no need to break in running shoes, but if they're of different construction your feet and stride may need to get used to them gradually (like transitioning to zero drop shoes).
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    04/01/18 - 8 Miles - 9:59 Pace
    04/02/18 - Rest
    04/03/18 - 10 miles - 9:27 Pace
    04/04/18 - 10 miles @ 4% grade and 7:43 pace
    04/05/18 - 0
    04/06/18 - 0
    04/07/18 - 11.7 miles - 2 races and a bit more
    04/08/18 - 0
    04/09/18 - 0
    04/10/18 - 12.1 miles @ 9:27 pace
    04/11/18 - 12.1 miles @ 9:00 pace
    04/12/18 - 11 miles @ 9:00 pace
    04/13/18 - 10 miles @ 9:04 pace
    04/14/18 - 21 miles @ 9:55 pace
    04/15/18 - Rest
    04/16/18 - 0
    04/17/18 - 8 miles @ 7MPH and 4.5% grade
    04/18/18 - 7 miles @ 8:57 pace
    04/19/18 - 10 miles @ 8:00 avg pace and 4% grade
    04/20/18 - Red Robin to celebrate last day a work
    04/21/18 - 17 miles @ 9:38 pace
    04/22/18 - 8 miles @ 9:23 pace
    **Taper Start**
    04/23/18 - Rest
    04/24/18 - 7 miles @ 6.5 MPH @ 4.5% Grade
    04/25/18 - 7 miles @ 7.4 MPH @ 4.5% Grade
    04/26/18 - 5 miles at CP

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

5 miles at the easiest pace I could manage on the flattest course I know of. I will be skipping the 20+ mile run that I would normally shoot for this weekend, and probably not run again till next week. Not sure on that.

All joking aside I need figure out how to balance the taper with the fact that if I stop running for too long my arthritis will flare. Already 19 miles for this week is a major cut back from the 50-60 I do on good weeks.