April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I finally caught up!

@skippygirlsmom Congrats to Skip!! So exciting. And hooray for you, proud mama!
    @Elise4270 YAY RUNNING!
    @MobyCarp Congrats on a good Boston! Those conditions were challenging. You ran it smart.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I saw one of the elite women run up Heartbreak Hill still wearing one of those ponchos. It was billowing about like mad. Can't have been very comfortable for her.

You and the rest of the runners have my total respect. It was brutal out there.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - great race report! I was following your tracker page and saw that you went from about 8 min miles to 9:25 in the next to last mile, and I was like, "Oh no oh no don't let him lose it in the last mile!" But then you made it in just fine! Thanks for giving me someone to cheer for!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,974 Member
    Options
    Awesome race report @mobycarp!

Thanks for the birthday wishes @garygse and @katharmonic.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - great race report! I was following your tracker page and saw that you went from about 8 min miles to 9:25 in the next to last mile, and I was like, "Oh no oh no don't let him lose it in the last mile!" But then you made it in just fine! Thanks for giving me someone to cheer for!

@rheddmobile - To put that in perspective, that slow stretch was about 0.35 mile from the 40K mat to the 25.2 mile (one mile left) mat. The 40K mat is just before the overpass crossing I-90 at the end of Beacon Street. The one mile left mark is at Kenmore square, just after the end of that overpass. Effectively, it's a small hill after a mentally tough stretch that feels like an eternity. It's nothing like the hills of Newton, but it's physically harder than the preceding 3 miles or anything left on the course after it.

Then you hit Kenmore Square, you know there's only a mile left, and you get a blue line marking the best tangent. (Not that you can follow the best tangent, given how many runners are around you.) Unlike the eternal 3 miles of Beacon Street, the last mile is broken up psychologically by several landmarks: The Boston Strong sign at Massachusetts Avenue, the underpass, and of course the turns to Hereford Street and Boyleston Street. And the closer you get to the finish, the more crowd support you get.

That overpass wasn't the mentally toughest part of the course, but it was tough enough mentally for my physical condition after running 40K. I was probably that slow on some stretches of hills in Newton, but they weren't broken out of longer splits to display a slow pace.
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We had a record breaker of a storm this past weekend, so glad I got my long run in earlier in the week. The official total isn’t in for the town I live in, but it will be between 24 inches and 33 inches. I think it’s closer to the 30 inch figure based on the snow banks and what others have reported. I missed getting in my 5 mile over the weekend. It was just too easy to stay inside, but did shovel some snow so all wasn’t lost. It is crazy going from no snow on Friday to huge snow banks. The roads are clear now, sidewalks will be a while. Biggest challenge is seeing over the snow banks to turn, back out, and etc. Here’s hoping that we don’t get much snow tomorrow and this stuff melts quickly.

I went to the gym after work and got in a 3 mile treadmill run. Was a bit pressed for time, but it was nice to do some activity.

Previous total 20.5
    4/17 - 3 miles
    Total: 23.5/74.5 goal

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    So I started reading 80/20 Running. I decided to make this my "slow week" that he mentioned early on. I didn't set up my Garmin yet so when I went out tonight I purely watched my Garmin HR zone, not my pace or distance.

First off, holy *kitten* that was hard to go that slow! Also, I had to actually walk a few times to keep in the Garmin easy zone. And my running? Well, that was slower than I walk. I ended at 2.25 miles in 36 minutes (16:40 pace) and an average 144 HR. Please tell me that this gets easier/faster? I will trust the process but I struggle going slow.

I have decided I am either really out of shape or doing something wrong. I will keep reading my book and trying to monitor my HR. My alarm is set for 4 am for Wednesday and Thursday. Friday will be a rest day and Saturday I have a 6k trail race.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So I started reading 80/20 Running. I decided to make this my "slow week" that he mentioned early on. I didn't set up my Garmin yet so when I went out tonight I purely watched my Garmin HR zone, not my pace or distance.

First off, holy *kitten* that was hard to go that slow! Also, I had to actually walk a few times to keep in the Garmin easy zone. And my running? Well, that was slower than I walk. I ended at 2.25 miles in 36 minutes (16:40 pace) and an average 144 HR. Please tell me that this gets easier/faster? I will trust the process but I struggle going slow.

I have decided I am either really out of shape or doing something wrong. I will keep reading my book and trying to monitor my HR. My alarm is set for 4 am for Wednesday and Thursday. Friday will be a rest day and Saturday I have a 6k trail race.

You need to get the Garmin set to heart zones that match you. This is covered in the book. :) I would not use the zones on the watch until you have figured out yours.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I did figure them out based on his website, just haven't figured out how to get them to my watch. I thought I put them in online but I didn't have it on my watch. This will be a project for when I get back from vacation. The numbers I got for my easy zone were even lower than Garmin, like my heart rate when I walk.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    5 miles treadmill with 9 "hills" (incline to 8.0 for 1 min. each time and increased speed).

exercise.png
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    4/1-rest day (unscheduled)
    4/2-rest day
    4/3-5
    4/4-3
    4/5-4
    4/6-rest day
    4/7-9
    4/8-3 (plus coach made me do weights)
    4/9-coach made me do different weights
    4/10-5
    4/11-4
    4/12-3 (plus coach made me do weights)
    4/13-rest day
    4/14-10 (probably 10.5 because my GPS things weren’t in agreement)
    4/15-4 (plus coach made me do weights)
    4/16-rest day
    4/17-4

MTD-54

16/17 Days according to plan.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp - what a great race report about an amazing race! It was incredible to me to follow along with you and see how consistent your splits were all along the race! Fantastic job!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My goal for the month is 40 miles.

4/12....8 miles
    4/15....5 miles

4/17.....4 miles. It was a cool dry day. I had a meeting at work this afternoon and planned to run a short run afterward. I had worked a 12 hour shift the night before and had very little sleep before the meeting. Also I hadn't eaten anything. I started out well, but noticed that I was starving throughout the run. I almost never eat before running. So I was very surprised that I was so hungry. There was a runner on the path that I passed and was trying to stay ahead of him, and was successful until the last quarter mile. Still not a bad effort. This will be the first week that I will be able to get in at least 3 runs. It's not the weather so much...just no time. I think that it is better to get shorter runs in than no runs at all. My right hip is still sore. Not sure what that is about.

Total= 17 miles
    Goal is 40 miles.

• apricotqueen1
    apricotqueen1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    8.75 km to start the day right! Now at 85.1 for the month with just 14.9 left to go!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No workout of any sort for the last two days. I worked close to 12 hours Monday to finish the prep for yesterday’s audit at work (my first since becoming director), and then I was too drained to do anything once I got home. Today is usually a rest day, but I plan to make up Monday’s missed run tonight.

I love reading all the race reports! You guys are awesome!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @mobycarp - awesome report. Makes me cry. jeez, Boston has made me cry a lot this year!

@MobyCarp I agree with this ^^ crying over here. Great report congratulations again
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @kgirlhart