Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    Please enlighten me then. Exactly what health benefits are provided by artificial flavorings, artificial color, artificial sweeteners, or artificial preservatives?

Nice try but that is not what you said that I responded to now is it?
    Artificial foods gross me out and I do not derive any pleasure from their consumption, so it's not worth it for me to eat them considering they provide no health benefits.

Foods being the operative word here. I don't know of many people that consider the ingredients you listed as edible without being attached to actual food.

However, I should point out that there are health benefits to at least some of them and maybe all if I really thought about it.

ETA: I was distracted and came back to it so I see others have already addressed what I was thinking.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead lol That is likely true especially on a nutrition and fitness website.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Hypothetical question for you:

Three people are placed on an island. One gets only unlimited broccoli and carrots. One gets only unlimited beans and peas. One gets only unlimited Big Macs. All three get unlimited water. Who lives the longest?

Will it be one of the two on those delicious, oh so nutritious, healthy, good for you, all-natural diets, or the one eating that horrible, toxic, disgusting, "nutritionally empty" non-food substance?

Clearly, the Big Mac guy will die first.

But only because the other two will end up killing him for his incredibly tasty and nutritionally superior food. B)

Hee hee!! :D
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    When it comes to food you have three choices:

1. sugar
    2. salt
    3. bacteria

Not a difficult concept folks. There is no evil conspiracy, just transportation/logistical issues from where the food is grown and where the people eat the food.

This is a good point, one that's impact has changed over time. So many of the points in this thread are referencing "how it used to be" But in modern times these points are becoming irrelevant. With modern logistics and shipping and general health knowledge, a lot of packaged products nowadays are shipped without salts and preservatives because they can. I never used to buy packaged or canned goods but more and more, I'm finding canned products to be available without salt and preservatives. Perhaps it because They can get here without spoiling, but also because people have become aware and of course consumer advocacy groups putting pressure where it needs to be.