Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @jessican1, thanks for the podcast recommendation. I will definitely check it out. Day 11, and I had a good night's sleep last night. Yay!!!! I feel so good I'm going to walk to the gym this morning--a first. I usually drive even though it's only about a 25-minute walk.

I agree with @JulieAL1969. Waking up with no headache or nausea is one of the best things about being AF. Another for me is that by Day 11 I can see a big difference in my face (thinner, brighter eyes, more glow-y skin). I'm heading to my first alcohol-laden social event this Saturday, but I'm so glad I have the 10 days under my belt. It really does seem to take a turn for the easier at about this point. Enjoy the day, everyone!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I've been moderating for a couple months now and my body is still waiting. I feel like I'm sleeping better, but getting to sleep is still a struggle sometimes. I'm also learning how much I was counting on alcohol to "quiet" my mind prior to going to sleep, to turn off anxiety and other intrusive thoughts.

I have suffered from insomnia since I was 14ish. The first time it hit me I went almost 5 days without sleep. When I transitioned into moderations I went almost 3 days.

My nighttime ritual of not watching anything new on TV for the last 90 minutes helps. I can't read before bed because if I get interested I will read all night. I also do not talk on the phone past about 8pm. I avoid anything and everything that will get my brain stimulated.

When I was drinking it might help with the mental part initially but if I woke up a little later I was back in the same boat.

I do have mental exercises that help me. One of my favorites is if you travelled back to a certain point in history how would you make a living? The dumber the exercise the better for me because I didn't really need to solve so I wasn't invested in it. If I solve it too thoroughly over time I pick a new point in history. In this way I can force myself to shut out the day and focus on the fictional scenario. It doesn't always work but it helps most nights.

I need to adopt your practices regarding the phone. Too often I take it to bed with me and wind up reading stuff that does stimulate my brain. I really like your ideas about different mental exercises -- I will be trying them out.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Stuck to my 1 drink limit last night.

Like others, I'm grateful to wake up feeling ready to go -- no grogginess or headache. Did wake up this morning with puffy eyes, but that's allergy season and I can't blame that on alcohol! :D
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for AF Mon-Thurs, but I had a small glass of wine last night. I wish I hadn't. I woke up not feeling well and therefore not sleeping well and feeling drained this morning. I don't think it was the one glass of wine because I wasn't feeling well before I drank it. I think it's anxiety about my job, but I don't think the wine helped. I don't know why I thought that was a good idea...

I think ALOT ALOT of people suffer from insomnia. Go to Facebook and ask people for suggestions for insomnia and you will get more comments than any other post you have ever done. Truth.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I've been moderating for a couple months now and my body is still waiting. I feel like I'm sleeping better, but getting to sleep is still a struggle sometimes. I'm also learning how much I was counting on alcohol to "quiet" my mind prior to going to sleep, to turn off anxiety and other intrusive thoughts.

I have suffered from insomnia since I was 14ish. The first time it hit me I went almost 5 days without sleep. When I transitioned into moderations I went almost 3 days.

My nighttime ritual of not watching anything new on TV for the last 90 minutes helps. I can't read before bed because if I get interested I will read all night. I also do not talk on the phone past about 8pm. I avoid anything and everything that will get my brain stimulated.

When I was drinking it might help with the mental part initially but if I woke up a little later I was back in the same boat.

I do have mental exercises that help me. One of my favorites is if you travelled back to a certain point in history how would you make a living? The dumber the exercise the better for me because I didn't really need to solve so I wasn't invested in it. If I solve it too thoroughly over time I pick a new point in history. In this way I can force myself to shut out the day and focus on the fictional scenario. It doesn't always work but it helps most nights.

I need to adopt your practices regarding the phone. Too often I take it to bed with me and wind up reading stuff that does stimulate my brain. I really like your ideas about different mental exercises -- I will be trying them out.

I'm really trying to cut back on the phone time in bed - I actually cut it out quite some time ago but I'm working on retraining my husband. He is on it for about an hour before bed, and then when he can't sleep in the middle of the night, he will pick it up and start surfing, check emails, etc. I've told him that I believe the light disrupts brain patterns that would prevent him from falling back asleep and he poo poohs me, but I've also told him that it disrupts MY sleep as well because I will wake up and see that little glow - it drives me crazy now!

I do read my Nook before bed but it doesn't seem to bother me as much as checking social media, catching up on news, etc. I think it's that my brain does recognize reading as a sleep primer, I've always read before bed even as a child I couldn't go to sleep unless I read something - but my brain thinks that the internet is something that it needs to be awake for!

My sleep has been markedly better since cutting back on alcohol. I still struggle to achieve deep sleep, per my FitBit, but I've been a very light/restless sleeper since I was a kid and just seeing the amount of "minutes awake" going down has felt really rewarding for me. Like others, when I was drinking more, I would often fall asleep easily (often on the couch - passing out I now realize but back then I just called it falling asleep on the couch) but awake around 1-2 am and not be able to go back to sleep. Now when I wake at 1-2 am it is just because of my bladder and not the moment which the alcohol is metabolized through my system (something I read years ago and has always stuck with me - that's why when we are drinking we often feel wide awake at that point in the night) and I find it easier to fall back asleep after my bathroom run!

• janejellyroll
    edited May 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I'm really trying to cut back on the phone time in bed - I actually cut it out quite some time ago but I'm working on retraining my husband. He is on it for about an hour before bed, and then when he can't sleep in the middle of the night, he will pick it up and start surfing, check emails, etc. I've told him that I believe the light disrupts brain patterns that would prevent him from falling back asleep and he poo poohs me, but I've also told him that it disrupts MY sleep as well because I will wake up and see that little glow - it drives me crazy now!

I do read my Nook before bed but it doesn't seem to bother me as much as checking social media, catching up on news, etc. I think it's that my brain does recognize reading as a sleep primer, I've always read before bed even as a child I couldn't go to sleep unless I read something - but my brain thinks that the internet is something that it needs to be awake for!

My sleep has been markedly better since cutting back on alcohol. I still struggle to achieve deep sleep, per my FitBit, but I've been a very light/restless sleeper since I was a kid and just seeing the amount of "minutes awake" going down has felt really rewarding for me. Like others, when I was drinking more, I would often fall asleep easily (often on the couch - passing out I now realize but back then I just called it falling asleep on the couch) but awake around 1-2 am and not be able to go back to sleep. Now when I wake at 1-2 am it is just because of my bladder and not the moment which the alcohol is metabolized through my system (something I read years ago and has always stuck with me - that's why when we are drinking we often feel wide awake at that point in the night) and I find it easier to fall back asleep after my bathroom run!

Yes, I'm like this in that I can easily fall asleep if I'm reading a traditional book or magazine in bed (even if it's on my Kindle), but if I'm reading things that my brain categorizes as news or chatter, it's harder for me. Going on Twitter = no good for sleep.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @donimfp - so sorry about the sleep issues. That's the worst. Have you heard of an app called Insight Timer? They have all kinds of guided meditation-thingys to get you to sleep. I use them all the time in the middle of the night.
  • kittybenn
    Options
    @erikNJ - wow, such an impressive loss - congrats! Super motivating to see that scale go down. You need a reward once in awhile for all your hard work, and for me that's a big one.
  • kittybenn
    Options
    @JenT304 - absolutely a massive win. Congrats. SO sorry that the day was sad. Time heals.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @JenT304, I’m amazed by your strength. I can imagine your sense of loss. So sorry for that. I’m sure the alcohol issue seems small in comparison but it’s great that you had the strength to care for yourself in the midst of a very hard time. Sending positive thoughts.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

While I came up with the mental exercise independently I have seen several others who use a similiar technique. The funny thing is most of the ones I have come across who use something like it also consider it kind of silly. I don't mind being silly if I can get to sleep though. I choose mine based on my personal interests in movies/television/books. I love a good time travel story.

• NovusDies
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I just came back from a very sad experience (for me) of getting my parent's family beach house cleared out as it is going to settlement on Friday. It feels like that was the last little bit of my late father to go and now it is gone too. I had so wanted to bring my own grandchildren here as I had brought my children since they were born. Alas, it is not to be. My mother wanted to sell it and I cannot afford to buy it so it was sold. I have been in tears for days. So many wonderful memories and happy times. My throat is closed up even as I write this. BUT I did NOT drink yesterday despite the fact that my mother opened a bottle of wine as we sat looking out from the porch. A porch where I have consumed gallons of wine over the course of 30 years. I had my O'Douls. I hope that is not cheating because it does have the tiniest amount of alcohol but I am going to consider that a massive win in the face of what was a incredibly sh!++y day. Lets see if my version of that word gets past the censors. Anyway I did not cheat because if I had let myself down on the 10th day of the 30 day challenge I am doing, I would have felt that much worse this morning. I am grateful for being able to emote here. Thank you, all.

I can't even imagine what you are going through. I am amazed by your strength. We should all be thanking you for sharing. Seriously... thanks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hugs @JenT304 . I know it is hard to part with a house that has so many happy memories tied to it. Proud of you for your resolve!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a very sad experience (for me) of getting my parent's family beach house cleared out as it is going to settlement on Friday. It feels like that was the last little bit of my late father to go and now it is gone too. I had so wanted to bring my own grandchildren here as I had brought my children since they were born. Alas, it is not to be. My mother wanted to sell it and I cannot afford to buy it so it was sold. I have been in tears for days. So many wonderful memories and happy times. My throat is closed up even as I write this. BUT I did NOT drink yesterday despite the fact that my mother opened a bottle of wine as we sat looking out from the porch. A porch where I have consumed gallons of wine over the course of 30 years. I had my O'Douls. I hope that is not cheating because it does have the tiniest amount of alcohol but I am going to consider that a massive win in the face of what was a incredibly sh!++y day. Lets see if my version of that word gets past the censors. Anyway I did not cheat because if I had let myself down on the 10th day of the 30 day challenge I am doing, I would have felt that much worse this morning. I am grateful for being able to emote here. Thank you, all.

So so sorry to hear that story.
    But you are a champion the way you handled that!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @eriknj I have seen your profile pic a dozen times and I swear I thought it was a man with a mask (presumably you). How did I miss the cat for all this time? I just realized it today.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options

I am sorry! You sure were strong in spite of it!