Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3982014/

Sucralose (Fig. 1c) was discovered in 1976. This non-nutritive sweetener is made from sucrose by a process that substitutes 3 chloride atoms for 3 hydroxyl groups on the sucrose molecule (FDA 2006). Sucralose is 450–650 times sweeter than sucrose, has a pleasant sweet taste and its quality and time intensity profile is very close to that of sucrose (Arora et al. 2009). It has a moderate synergy with other nutritive and non-nutritive sweeteners. (Beyts et al. 1995).

It is very much soluble in water and is stable over a wide range of pH and temperature. It does liberate HCl when stored at high temperature and produce some kind of discoloration (Beyts et al. 1995).

The synthesis of sucralose involves a series of selective protection and deprotection steps so that the 4-hydroxyl group can be converted to a chloro atom with inversion of configuration. Treatment of the free hydroxyl groups with sulfuryl chloride produce trichlorodisaccharide which is then deprotected to give the sucralose (Ager et al. 1998). The use of enzymes or microbial cultures to augment synthetic organic chemistry and carry our selected functionalization of complex molecule has been widely documented in the growing field of biocatalysis (Wong and Whitesides 1994).

Although sucralose is made from sugar, the human body does not recognize it as a sugar and does not metabolize it therefore it provides no calories. The bulk of sucralose ingested does not leave the gastrointestinal tract and is directly excreted in the feces while 11–27% of it is absorbed (Knight 1993). The amount that is absorbed from the gastro intestinal tract is largely removed from the blood stream by the kidneys and eliminated in the urine. As it is an organo chloride and some of which are known to have significant toxicity (Patel et al. 2006) but sucralose is not known to be toxic. In addition sucralose does not breakdown or dechlorinate. In determining the safety of sucralose, the FDA reviewed data from more than 110 studies in human and animals. Many of the studies were designed to identify possible toxic effects including carcinogenic reproductive and neurological effects but no such effects were found. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval is based on the findings that sucralose is safe for human consumption. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) approved sucralose as a general-purpose sweetener. The acceptable daily intake (ADI) for sucralose in US is 5mg/kg body weight/day. The estimated daily intake for percentile consumers as calculated by USFDA is 1.6mg/kg body weight/day (USFDA 1999).
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I was at Wendy's a few months ago and decided to treat myself to some cheese fries, one of my favorite treat meals. The man standing beside me at the counter glanced down at my tray and said pointedly, "I wonder how many calories that has." I looked him in the eye and said "None of your effing business. That's how many." He took a seat at the table behind mine and stared a hole through me the entire time I was eating.

That's not just inappropriate, that's actually creepy. I would peg that episode as an attempt to intimidate rather than educate. Hugs!
  • Breeticus87
    Breeticus87 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anything like all of that, but what I can't stand is when I tell people about my eating habits now that I have changed the way I eat, and they all have something to say about it. "You know you should try the low carb diet, if you cut carbs you lose a lot of weight" "Hey do you still eat dairy, you should cut that out, you know humans are the only animal that consumes the milk of another animal?" "Are you sure you are consuming enough calories? You are losing a lot of weight really fast and thats not healthy!"

I have retorts for all of them, "Yes low carb is a fast and healthy way to lose weight quickly, but there are good carbs, and you need a little, so don't lecture me on how many to cut" "Yea well cheese is delicious, so is cereal, I am not lactose intolerant so I enjoy milk :)" "I may be losing weight really fast because my body is used to eating McDonalds everyday and I don't consume my body weight in beer every night, so yes I am losing weight quickly because I am eating clean and cutting back on my drinking" but I think I have just come to the conclusion that no matter what you do in life there is always going to be someone there to try and ruin it for you.

I just say the best thing to do is do whats best for you, to hell with nay sayers. 9 times out of 10 the only reason they feel the need to bring these things up is because they are unhappy with their own decisions, and the only pleasure they get out of it is in these small moments where they get to be elitists and say "Look at me, this is what I do and you should consider it too" trust me it has nothing to do with you, its so that later when they are hanging around their other elitist friends they can say "Guess what I told a perfect stranger today, even though it was reallyy none of my business" lol
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    "That's bad for you!"
    "That's not what nunya says."
    "Who?"
    "Nunya business."

FOR THE WIN
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I offered a homeless guy an apple and some yogurt one morning. He didn't want either. I figured he couldn't be that hungry. I wasn't going to give him change.

I will pretty much always offer food, and I have never been turned down. One man nearly cried when I gave him a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. I hope that experience hasn't discouraged you from offering in the future.

When I have the cash to spare, I often offer to go to the nearby take-away and buy them a hot meal of their choice. I never give them spare change. I'm just weird that way.

I have been insulted by some homeless for that. His line of reasoning was that it was his money to do with and if he's asking 'cause he's hungry and then using the money to buy booze it's his choice and his problem.

A for honesty, I guess. LOL