Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I was buying a Monster Zero Ultra in my office building's cafe once and had a stranger say, "Did you see the article on Facebook about those?" I just glanced at her, said, "Nope!," and continued on about my business ignoring her. She didn't pursue the conversation, for which I was very grateful. I have no time for busybodies, especially ones who get their information from their Facebook feed. :neutral:

I :heart: Splenda. It's my go-to sweetener. I use 4 g in my standard cup of coffee (and, yes, I log those 13 calories). (Also, just to point out, I saw Splenda conflated with aspartame earlier in this thread. They are not the same thing. Splenda is not made with two amino acids. Splenda is made by combining dextrose, maltodextrin and sucralose [sucrose that has been altered to contain three chlorine atoms].) I like that I can easily cook/bake with Splenda too - easier than Equal/NutraSweet or Stevia. I find that Stevia leaves me with a bitter aftertaste like no other sweetener I've used and Equal/NutraSweet requires too many alterations to a recipe to make the flavor come out right.

Yup. That's what I get for posting when I'm on the run! Aspartame is the two amino acids.

You can get liquid sucralose which doesn't have dextrose or maltodextrin, though.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to look into that, because it would be helpful for my coffee recipe. :) Now if I could just find a zero-calorie substitute for my coffee-mate I'd be all set. :D
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I had a coworker make a comment about my diet Dr Pepper once. I don’t remember what she said exactly just that I shouldn’t drink that stuff and I just laughed and said “but it’s diet!” And she laughed and said “that doesn’t matter!” and I walked back to my office. Not really a big deal. She didn’t exactly lecture me though.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    To the OP's original question, I think I would look Nosy Nancy straight in the eye, with my RBF on, and say "I can deadlift you."

OMG I love this. <3<3<3
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is everything linked to cancer nowadays?
    Just saying, if people start lecturing me that bacon will give me cancer, I am gonna tell everyone I'm dying happy.

Edited to add.....
    I use Splenda every day. B)
    Actually “processed meats” have been linked to cancer.

You’re right though. A life without bacon isn’t worth living. Lol I eat bacon like every week