Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    latrans321 wrote: »
    So... it's employee recognition week here at High Desert State Prison (in addition to being Teacher Appreciation Week-- yay! I'm doubly appreciated), and as I came into the lounge to enter grades and attendance, I commented that (as a Type I diabetic), I thought the candy-in-a-cup that I was given was a less than ideal way of showing appreciation. A fellow teacher claimed that she'd seen me drinking a Pepsi, at which point I pointed out that it was, in fact, a Diet Pepsi... and she told me that artificial sweeteners were just as bad as sugar.

I remembered the poster from this blog who, earlier, commented that he had been similarly accosted and commented that he thought it was unlikely that diet drinks would provoke an insulin reaction. Thanks to that post, I had a ready reply... which caused her much consternation and shut her right up. Thanks, guys!

(As an aside... if only artificial sweeteners could provoke an insulin response. Think how easy treatment of diabetes would become!)

If it did, then it still would not be the case for type 1's - just like eating carbs don't magically cause our pancreas to start working even though healthy people will have an insulin release with carb consumption. But yes, I also like to point out how problematic that would be if it were true for most people. Additionally, I point out how it isn't possibly true for some of us with paperweights for our pancreas.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    latrans321 wrote: »
    So... it's employee recognition week here at High Desert State Prison (in addition to being Teacher Appreciation Week-- yay! I'm doubly appreciated), and as I came into the lounge to enter grades and attendance, I commented that (as a Type I diabetic), I thought the candy-in-a-cup that I was given was a less than ideal way of showing appreciation. A fellow teacher claimed that she'd seen me drinking a Pepsi, at which point I pointed out that it was, in fact, a Diet Pepsi... and she told me that artificial sweeteners were just as bad as sugar.

I remembered the poster from this blog who, earlier, commented that he had been similarly accosted and commented that he thought it was unlikely that diet drinks would provoke an insulin reaction. Thanks to that post, I had a ready reply... which caused her much consternation and shut her right up. Thanks, guys!

(As an aside... if only artificial sweeteners could provoke an insulin response. Think how easy treatment of diabetes would become!)

Bravo!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »
    tigtv79pxzyj.jpg

My new outfit.

I'll bet I could get a cycling jersey with the same thing on it. Yellow being appropriate color.

I'd actually prefer the blue though - and generic name in either case, because that's just me. (who said cheap!)
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I want a Splenda dress now
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jspicher81 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I had a shopper at Costco tell me that the Splenda in my cart would tear me up inside. WTF! What does that even mean? Every time I purchase Splenda I hope I see her again. The yellow packet is my fav!

That's a new one - you should have asked her how many times she's seen instant death due to splenda at a coffee shop...

Some people don't have the digestive enzymes to handle artificial sweetners. Allulose (the new kid on the block) is one for me (used in quest beyond cereal bars). Within 30 minutes of eating them l experience extreme digestive discomfort and bloating as do many people. That is probably what the shopper meant by "it'll tear your up inside".

I've got similar with what ever was in some Ice cream I bought. But that just means I don't buy it. Certainly wouldn't tell someone else not to buy it.

hell, I'm sure there are people who can eat the sugar free Haribo.

I'd call that a dead certainty...

ETA oops misread the comment. Never mind.
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ugh that Truvia, stevia stuff is the worst tasting crap ever, would not put it in my drink