May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Race report in a bit, right now all I can say is I'M NOT DEAD :)
    Congratulations! I don't know how you are not dead, but that must mean God still has plans for you
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I had a new followers request on Strava and my phone lost service in the midst of accepting. So, follow me again? I wasn't ignoring a request. :blush:

@sarahthes What luck to find a nice place close by to explore and run!!!! I have a 30 minute drive to my favorite place.

@MobyCarp I hope you get over this "wuss-ness" soon. :wink: maybe some rest and a few good meals will set you right.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Great Race report.
    "S" sounds like a typical Trail Hound, especially the "Airplane Arms and sweeping back and forth across the trail" on descending the hills. That is something I learned from a lady in our little club and now do on steep-wide descents - it's like a car doing switchbacks on a steep hill to climb/descend, you travel a little further for the same Vertical Elevation which makes for an easier/controlled descent - hidden added benefit is the extra balance you get from the Airplane Arms.
    Especially liked the description of the single track with vegetation hitting your shoulders. I have been in events where I had to twist my torso sideways to fit between trees. Glad that it was a good experience.

Now picture yourself doing the same event next year without a PB marathon 1 week behind you.
    Your legs/body will be fresh and it will be a completely differant experience. Trail is a love it or hate it experience usually. I have 3 fast Marathoners in our local club and they don't like Trail - where most of us Middle/Back of the pack seem to enjoy it more.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,987 Member
    Options
    @Pastorvincent Awesome race report!.

@ katharmonic That 19k race sounds so cool!
    @sarahthes Cool pictures! That looms kike a great place to run. Although running at an abandoned campground does sound a bit creepy to me too!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Elise4270 @kgirlhart My only regret is that I tried the north side first. Dead end after 0.8km at private property with no trespassing signs. I think there might be another access point on the eastern bank to the north though. I will try again! I doubled back south and that's when I found all the fun. Just wish I had more time to explore. It will be a couple of weeks until I can get over there again as I've a trail race next weekend that is basically 20km further north along the same creek system.

Edit: the race location is 20km further downstream. The race is only 11km. I felt like I should clarify.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    1 May: 11.64
    2 May: 6.0 + yoga
    3 May: 7.22
    4 May: Rest
    5 May: 6.6 + yoga
    6 May: 12.74
    7 May: yoga
    8 May: 6.72
    9 May: yoga
    10 May: 10.04
    11 May: rest
    12 May: yoga
    13 May: 13.13

74.09 of 150km
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Sometimes we cheat and use these for s'mores

90j2ofsyx21o.jpeg

If you're not at a camp fire, you can really cheat by using the microwave (not nearly as good, of course), though now that I say that, I wonder why I've never tried making them using the flame from our gas stove. Or the pencil torch I use for creme brulee.

I use my oven broiler. I can make a whole pan of s’mores in one go. The broiler even gets the marshmallows all toasty!

• abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Right to Run 19K today in Seneca Falls, NY - the home of the first Women's Rights Convention in 1848 and the beginning of the women's suffrage movement. It is a 19k for the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote in 1920 (heard someone talking about the big event they will have in 2020 to celebrate 100 years - that should be cool).

The day started out better than I expected as it was not pouring rain when we left and I got hopeful. It did start raining though as we got close to Seneca Falls and was a bit of a downpour when we parked. We waited in the car and it let up quite a bit. I wore a fabulous red plastic rain poncho to start. It was mostly just light rain at that point. We had the opportunity to meet and take a picture with Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston marathon with a numbered entry. So cool!

Things settled into a light mist, so it was not too bad. Only around 45 degrees though so I kept my gloves on the whole race. I ditched my poncho about mile 2. The course was nice, mostly flat with a few rolling hills. One gravel road which was not so nice to run on and one cross-country part where we had to run on grass. There was an uphill on a trail through a park that was probably the toughest. A quiet, country scenery for much of it - and for a while a goat ran with us! Her name was Maia (according to the people yelling for her to come back) and she was quite a good pace goat. She went about a half mile before deciding she was bored of it. We ran along the lake a bit and through the campus of New York Chiropractic College. We ended up by the river and downtown Seneca Falls. Very picturesque little place with such great history.

I ran the whole thing with my friend/former coach and our goal was to just keep a decent pace but not really race it all out. I finished in 2:07:55, which was a 10:50 pace. Not bad, especially as we did make one pit stop. After we were done, my friend went out to get another hour in (she's got a marathon coming up) and I got some food and then got a free treatment from the Chiropractic College students. That felt awesome. It was mostly a massage and working some knots in my shoulders and upper back. After I was done with that I had cooled down so much and was freezing so I changed into dry clothes the best I could from my drop bag. My fingers were white from Raynaud's and my gloves were damp so it was kind of miserable. Finally my friend was finished (she's such a good person, she went back on the course to find someone who could use a buddy to run them in, and ran back with one of the last runners). We grabbed some more snacks, cruised the vendors who were packing up, hopped our shuttle bus and headed home. I'm still trying to fully warm up, but overall it was a good race and good day.

@katharmonic Wow, you got to meet Kathrine Switzer!! AND you did a race commemorating a very important event.

What a great day.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yay, PV is not dead!!! :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Yay, PV is not dead!!! :smiley:

Nope, not dead! But umm, think I will consider not running today... :lol:
  • zerlinna87
    zerlinna87 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    5/1- rest
    5/2- 2.1 mile walk with my dad
    5/3- 3.2 mile run, race the landing 5k
    5/4- strength training
    5/5- rest
    5/6- 1 mile run with my new Garmin!
    5/7- strength training
    5/8- 1.8 mile run and 45 minutes of spinning (whew, that was tough)
    5/9- 2.2 mile walk
    5/10- rest
    5/11- 1.25 mile walk plus strength training
    5/12- 2.7 mile walk (was supposed to be a 5k, but I took my 5 year old with me, and we took a short cut half way through the course. We were having a hard time keeping up and at the very back. It was a SLOW walk.)
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    5.5km this morning. Sun was out, wind was light, perfect temp. It was a good run. Nice steady pace.
    MTD : ~ 24km