Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Peas and beans (1100g of peas, and 1000g of red kidney beans prepared from dry)

Thank you for the 3 of those. That was really interesting, and not exactly what I would've guessed.

Too bad he didn't just say "legumes" . . . coulda snuck some peanuts in there. ;)

ditto. If you can get enough of the mono-diet vegan choices down (and process it), you could get adequate cystine. It's the B12 that is missing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    ritzvin wrote: »

Thank you for the 3 of those. That was really interesting, and not exactly what I would've guessed.

Too bad he didn't just say "legumes" . . . coulda snuck some peanuts in there. ;)

ditto. If you can get enough of the mono-diet vegan choices down (and process it), you could get adequate cystine. It's the B12 that is missing.

You'd have to resort to supplementing with sea water, though, or you would die of electrolyte imbalance.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    nettiklive wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    nettiklive wrote: »
    I randomly stumbled on this video today and remembered this thread, I'm sure it'll get woo'd on here but this sums up exactly what I've been trying to say about fast food and junk food and how it's different from natural foods
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1025790800904622&id=276157035868006

Can you please point to where in this thread, or any other, anyone said that there is NO difference between "junk food" (whatever you are defining that as) and natural foods (again, however you define them)? You keep proclaiming that people are saying something that no one is saying, and you've been misrepresenting the context of this thread in others as well.

People were claiming here there's no difference between a homemade burger or potato and McDonald's or frozen Walmart burgers or whatever. There is because production matters.

You'll have to find the exact quote where someone said there is no difference between a homemade burger or potatoes and those purchased from McDonalds so that I don't misinterpret their position, but my guess is that the point was that the nutritional value of the basic, common ingredients used in these food items is negligible in comparison.

Homemade ground beef burgers vs McDonalds ground beef burgers - same size, same toppings. Tell me how the nutritional value is going to be different?

Homemade french fries vs McDonalds french fries... again, tell me how the nutritional content is going to vary significantly.

You've trotted out some scary sounding chemicals that are listed on a fearmongering article/video. How specifically do those chemical additives detract from the basic nutritional profile of both the burger and fries if it is mass produced by McDonalds vs prepared by a home cook?

It's like earlier in the thread where the example of letting children snack on a giant bowl of canned frosting instead of fruit was used . . . like, the reason we usually don't let children snack on frosting is because it's freaking frosting, not because it came in a can. It's not like we'd see big differences in the results of letting kids snack on homemade buttercream frosting from grass-fed cows instead of Duncan Hines from a tub.

...and now I'm craving frosting.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

I was also expecting it to be much worse, but there's no way that I could get that much food in to me every day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It’s too late. PCB’s and dioxins have been found in polar bears.