Myth or not a myth?

Options

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Is someone legit wooing every post out of spite or is it another doesnt know woo is bad thing...
    People are using it to mean they don't "agree" with a post. Have been for months now.
    They don't care what it is supposed to be used for. I was told so directly in a post.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    catzzm9768 wrote: »
    Hello!:), im starting my weight loss journey, just need help and guidance really, soo ive been googling soo much lately on what i can eat, and i came across you can eat whatever you like but dont go over your daily calorie, my calorie daily to loose weight is 1,200 so can i still eat fries, chocolate , pizza as long as i dont go over 1,200? Will i still loose weight? im not very active i will walk sometimes, plus i dont like healthy foods such as salads i hate them so id find it very hard.
    I will track my food on here before eating them.

Thank you!

Like others have said, sure, you would still lose weight if you only ate 1200 calories a day of those foods. However, it would be hard to stay full on those foods and a diet based around that would not provide optimal nutrition.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    What you said is true but that is a misleading statement. You CAN in theory lose weight by eating whatever you want but it if whatever you want is only high calorie junk food then you will be unlikely to stick with your calorie budget.

For me, one birthday tiramisu is over my daily budget. So I can eat that, but I can't eat any other food for the rest of the day. And that cake wont fill me up much. I can drink two of those large pina coladas at the bar and also be over my daily calorie budget not allowing for any other food the rest of the day.

So when people say that you can eat whatever you want, they aren't lying necessarily but if you follow that advice and whatever you want is nothing but junk food, you will probably quickly realize that there aren't enough calories in a day to sustain that way of eating and keep you full/satisfied. Many people end up eating healthier and lower calorie foods because those foods keep them more full throughout the day. I do like healthy food in addition to unhealthy food. I'm still hungry but eating healthier tends to be more filling for me and stay within my calorie budget.

I can't speak for the others but I assume there is quite a bit more to the OP's normal diet than fries, chocolate, pizza, or even "junk" food when I said she could eat whatever she wants. In case I was wrong I suggested she come back soon if she was having trouble with hunger for more assistance.

There is no harm in starting from what she knows and fixing it as needed. It is sensible and it beats trying to figure out what "healthy" and "unhealthy" means.

That may be true. I dont know exactly what her diet includes. I do know many people who only eat unhealthy and calorie dense foods. That is probably how they got fat in the first place. So for some people who only like those types of foods, and still want to be full, eating "whatever you want" probably won't work.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I suspect some newbies may see those statements "eat whatever you want", try a few days of eating whatever, inevitably NOT be able to stick to their calorie budget, give up when they don't lose weight quickly, and feel frustrated. I feel like those types of statements should come with an explanation about how those calorie dense foods probably won't be very filling.

So for some people, they can try reducing portions of their normal foods, but may not be able to be full that way. They will probably end up having to change the types of food that they eat to maintain the calorie budget. Let's be real, it is hard for a lot of people to eat certain foods in moderation. That's probably why they are overweight. You CAN be overweight eating too much healthy food ( I am one of them) but it is much easier to overeat junk food.