nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I can't speak for the others but I assume there is quite a bit more to the OP's normal diet than fries, chocolate, pizza, or even "junk" food when I said she could eat whatever she wants.

I think I understand your point of view, but from my perspective fries, chocolate, pizza = junk food

Encouraging the behavior of "eat whatever she wants" may just reinforce making bad food choices.

Learning to eat junk in moderation, say once a week, is a key to success.
    Learning to appreciate more healthy choices that you are not accustomed to -like salads- is also key.

Just my thoughts.

Assuming one is meeting one's nutritional needs, why does the frequency of pizza eating matter?

Assuming one is not meeting one's nutritional needs, eating salad daily isn't going to be a magic cure.

I think the overall context of the OP's diet is what is key here, not specific foods she may or may not be eating.

She will lose weight eating anything she likes as long as she is in a calorie deficit. Whether she is in a deficit or not, it's wise to eat in a way that leads to nutritional needs being met. But if she wasn't choosing to do that before, I'm not sure what the benefit is of a hyperfocus on it now.

Will OP be better off if she decides not to lose weight and continues eating as she is now? If OP is overweight, losing weight is still likely to be a net benefit to her health.

(This is assuming she has excess weight and isn't just losing vanity pounds).

Foods like pizza dont fit into MY calorie budget every day. They just don't. In order for me to eat pizza I have to sacrifice an entire meal and only eat 2 meals in a day. I can only eat foods like pizza, ice cream, and other calorie dense foods on days when I have woken up late and gone to bed early, and can be satisfied with only 2 meals. Many people on a calorie budget cant eat whatever they want every day. I have managed to budget small amounts of my favorite foods into my budget twice a week or so by exercising a lot on those particular days. Even then, I am limiting myself a lot. I'm definitely not eating whatever I want because my calorie budget doesnt allow it.

One slice of Papa John's pepperoni pizza on thin crust is 255 calories. That would fit into lunch or dinner for just about any calorie goal. Now that may not be the pizza you prefer and it may not be the quantity that you want, but I guarantee you that if OP wanted it, eating pizza daily would be something she could do and still have three meals a day. Would she possibly need to experiment to ensure she felt full and satisfied? Yes -- but then most of us have had to do that, it's part of being successful and counting calories. Would she eventually decide to have pizza less often because it required compromises she didn't feel like making all the time? Possibly. Again, that's something that has happened to some of us.

I think the disconnect is between people saying "Yes, you can have foods like pizza regularly and still lose weight" and others hearing "Yes, you can eat as much pizza as you want and still lose weight." Nobody is saying that you can eat as much of any food you want and still lose weight.

the phrase " whatever you want" suggests no limits. I asked several different people what they thought of that term since I have seen it thrown around a lot and that seems to be what people think. Most people won't be satisfied with one piece of pizza. I know I'm not. I'm trying to be realistic here.

Given that virtually every post saying "Yes" to OP's question is adding "as long as you're in a deficit" or "as long as you're hitting your calorie goal," I can't agree with your reading that OP is being told she can eat as much as she wants of whatever she wants.

When you're asking different people about this, are you including the context that these discussions are taking place on a calorie counting website? That's pretty crucial context, IMO.

I get not being satisfied with a single serving of something. It's why I don't eat, for example, Swedish Fish, because it's something like 150 calories for 7 fish and that's just not enough for me so I don't eat them. But that doesn't change the fact that I *could* eat Swedish Fish. If you're choosing not to eat pizza because you want more than one piece, that doesn't mean you can't have pizza at all. It means you're *choosing* not to have it. And that's a perfectly rational calculation that lots of people make.

But since OP is asking about having pizza within her calorie goal, we've got to consider that she *does* think it would be worth it (at least she thinks it will be). Why should your feelings about pizza or my feelings about Swedish Fish determined whether or not OP can have pizza or candy often? What's realistic for OP may look completely different than what is realistic for you.

A lot pf people fail trying to stick with their calorie budgets for a reason. Because they realize they can't stick to their budget eating "whatever they want". Thats my point. Some people may be able to make it happen by eating tiny portions. People new to counting calories may see that and think they can eat what they want only to see that their favorite foods have too many calories and then feel misled.
    It seems to me you're putting too much emphasis on "whatever" and not enough on "want". If I just ate whatever, of course I'd be fat again. I don't want that. So I just eat enough to maintain a healthy weight. Before I found MFP, I believed I had to eat in a certain way to lose/maintain. It would work well for a while, apparently, until it absolutely didn't. So I overate indiscriminately, because I had missed so many foods, but most of all, because I need to feel that I'm making my own food choices. Having adhered to unecessary restictions for too long, I careened over to the other side of the road. I got fat again, no surprise there. I overate because I felt entitled, until I just stopped caring.

Now that I know it is ALL ABOUT CALORIES, I don't divide foods into good and bad, and I don't feel like a loser when I eat something I "shouldn't have". Getting that burden off my shoulders, actually makes me able to pay attention to how different foods and meals make me feel, and wanting to eat well, for health, wellbeing and longevity, and so I have ended up eating a nutrtionally sound and balanced diet, almost according to most national recommendations. This has brought forth and is facilitated by a surprising change: I love so many foods now, that I felt tasted either too bland or too strong, or both, I love cooking because I can make meals I want to eat, I don't have to overeat to try to get that "enough" feeling. I have treats, but only occasionally, and in reasonable amounts, that I'm finally able to stop at, because I know I'm not doing anything wrong, so there's no "evidence" to get rid of, and no "last supper" scenario. I know I can have more, I just have to wait, and everything tastes better when I'm not eating it all the time.

I'm glad you have found what works for you. People go about losing weight in different ways. For some people, especially those with lower calorie budgets, what they "want" doesn't fit in their budget and allow for satiety. I'm not shaming anyone for their choices.
    Oh, my story wasn't just meant as a funny anecdote, and certainly not asking permission for anything, but as an example of the usual pattern of yoyo-dieters that I, and others in this thread, meet daily in here. I have finally found something that works for me, after struggling with mainstream advice and blaming myself for failing to adhere. Is your current way working for you?

So far it is. The hardest part for me is sticking to my calorie budget without being hungry. That has forced me to eliminate my favorite foods for the most part because they dont fit in my calorie budget.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I always forget about the Twinkie diet.