May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    BTW, if you want good race photos, you can help by smiling, run with good posture (which you should be doing anyway) pushing your hat back further on your head so we can see your face, and position yourself so that you're not blocked by other runners.

Even when I try to do this I still look ridiculous - my face always looks like I'm pained or really uncomfortable or just overall unhappy with my situation. Not to mention super sweaty and crazy hair all over the place. Oh well, I'm not doing it to win any beauty contests :smile:

me too :wink:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you want good race photos, you can help by smiling, run with good posture (which you should be doing anyway) pushing your hat back further on your head so we can see your face, and position yourself so that you're not blocked by other runners.

Even when I try to do this I still look ridiculous - my face always looks like I'm pained or really uncomfortable or just overall unhappy with my situation. Not to mention super sweaty and crazy hair all over the place. Oh well, I'm not doing it to win any beauty contests :smile:

@zdyb23456 I should clarify, the point of most of that is to get a good view of the face. If a runner "looks good", that's a bonus, but I certainly wouldn't say that being pained or super sweaty with crazy hair is a bad thing in a race photo. It shows hard work and determination, which to me, is a good photo. I'm not after running portraits, whether I'm the runner or the photographer.

I took a lot of photos where it's hard to see the face, which is key most people photos. When I shoot sports, it's rare that I'll keep a shot if I can't see the face. Certainly there are exceptions.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Compared to this time year, how have you improved your fitness?
    I would say I have improved greatly as a runner. A year ago I would have been happy with 8 minutes a mile for a 10k or half marathon. Most of my training runs were 6 miles at the maximum and I was only running 4 days a week. I was starting to eat much better but still lapsing at times.
    Today I can hope for a sub 1:40 1/2 marathon, a BQ is possible. I run 6 times a week. My diet is even better and I have lost 9 pounds more.
    The only drawback is that a year ago, I was doing more cross-training and strength. I need to find a way to add those back in.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Compared to this time year, how have you improved your fitness?
    I would say I have improved greatly as a runner. A year ago I would have been happy with 8 minutes a mile for a 10k or half marathon. Most of my training runs were 6 miles at the maximum and I was only running 4 days a week. I was starting to eat much better but still lapsing at times.
    Today I can hope for a sub 1:40 1/2 marathon, a BQ is possible. I run 6 times a week. My diet is even better and I have lost 9 pounds more.
    The only drawback is that a year ago, I was doing more cross-training and strength. I need to find a way to add those back in.

I know what you mean. It's really hard to keep it all going. Whenever I try to focus on improving in one area, something else always has to give.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Thanks, I think I need to find a goal that's strength and cross training related, to help motivate me. Perhaps if I were determined to be able to do 50 pushups and sit ups. I have been more involved in coaching my son's baseball team this year and fortunately that gives me some cross activity but it takes up time. Time very well spent and very enjoyable.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 @cburke8909 I struggle with this too. I did ok for a while with both but the last week and a half I've been exhausted after work and skipping the weights.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has added a HM3 plan, which is three days of running (and presumably 3 days of other stuff). I'm going to use that for my Sept race to make sure I've built in time for strength work.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Well, I've done a run and I've done a legs day with weights, and my calf didn't blow up like a balloon! Knee was a little puffy and warm yesterday so I gave it a low impact walking day instead of running. Hoping to run tonight.

Compared to this time last year, how have you improved your fitness?

I just looked through my logging for last year at around this time, to aid my memory. This time last year I had never been to a gym and not yet started c25k - which meant I had difficulty running one minute without a break, and running a quarter mile was unthinkable for me. I was obese (middle of normal BMI now) and had just started adding weights to my bodyweight routine at home. I was doing Zumba and HIIT stationary biking as my main exercises. Only six months earlier, I was morbidly obese and practically bedridden with undiagnosed diabetes and a massive ovarian tumor, so May last year was already a huge improvement over that!

If you had asked me three months ago, before the Baker's cyst in my knee ruptured, I would have been able to brag about finally getting my 5k time under 30 min, and deadlifting and squatting my bodyweight for the first time. I've been benched for most of three months and my most recent 5k was almost 40 minutes. I am back to zero with the weights, at least as far as my legs are concerned - just started being allowed to add weights and lifting less than half of previous. BUT! I'm back, and confident that my fitness base is still present which will allow me to regain quickly. In terms of upper body strength, I'm still chasing my first pull-up and have graduated to being able to do bent arm hangs and negatives. I can do twenty good form push-ups - this time last year I was doing knee push-ups. I did one of my old Zumba routines for fun recently. This time last year, five minutes would have me sweating and breathing hard. Now I can basically do that all day. Running had made a huge difference to my fitness levels. Also, my resting pulse rate is about 48 now. When I was sick and obese, it was sometimes up over a hundred. By a year ago, it was down to about 72.

Love this!!!! Love this!!!! Love this!!!!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Busybusybusy end of the school year for me, so I'm going to post and run. I'll try to catch up with all the lovely race reports later!

I did 2 miles yesterday and one mile as fast as I could (which wasn't very fast, after all, lol) this morning...plus a little extra walking.

21.75/10 miles for the month (30 forward motion)

Obviously, I've run far more than I was expecting and I'm really happy about it. I'm already plotting out June and hoping for at least 31 miles running for the remainder of the month and maybe even 40 for June!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Most of the time I don't even see the photographers until after they've already got me. But smiling throughout a race is supposed to help, and good posture should always be a goal, so it's still good advice!
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hey, just found your group, I think I might join. My goal is to be able to run for an hour without stopping at 4mph on the treadmill. Right now I can only go for 25 min sooo I have some work to do.

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a good start!

This thread is like a pack of runners constantly in motion. Just jump on here and join the fun!
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

• Elise4270
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Race foto fail

I think that's a fine photo. Mine are the ones that are awful.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 aw that's not too bad
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I always look like I'm dying in my race photos. Like @polskagirl01 I never see the camera person until it's too late. I'm usually just inside my owm head doing runners math of how much further I have to go. :D
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    RE: Race Photos... my PR marathon... did not really get ANY decent photos. *sigh*

Take a peak so you feel better about yours :lol:
    https://www.marathonfoto.com/Proofs?PIN=0EG601&LastName=TRIGILI

They are all in the last mile or so. Its like I did not even run the first 24 or 25 miles heh. I was well past my limits and still going.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @ctlaws44 this is what an unflattering race photo looks like. I'm never in control, my form is terrible, I'm funny looking, I have chicken legs, uni-granny-boobs and this particular photo I've fallen on my face and have a busted lip and nose which developed into a black eye for 2 weeks. :smiley: of course, I'm vain enough that this is not the worst race photo that I came across trying to one up you. Your photo, you look strong and focused. I am incline to think you were showing off your great race photos..... :wink: I'm like an octopus trying to run. Which might be why I constantly trip over my own feet.

I hate photos.
    Eta correct auto correct