WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did 5 minutes of hula hoop. Get this, while I was hula hooping, the hula hoop broke in half! Held my plank for 3 minutes and then did the Tear It Up DVD. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it since the picture on the front shows Debbie Sieber doing some kickboxing, but it’s not bad at all. There’s enough other things that I don’t mind the bit of kickboxing. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Solid Gold Cardio DVD.

Lisa – the house looks great. Wait, are you SURE you’re on a septic since it has a garbage disposal? Is it city water or well?

Happy Memorial Day to everyone who celebrates it. Going to be pretty quiet around here. Want to go to ACMoore to get some frames but Vince needs to go with me. Then, depending on the weather, we’ll probably take the rest of the mulch to the back of the property. Mahjongg tonight. That’s about IT. Update: it rained so no mulch at the back of the property. Another day.....

For the life of me, I still can’t understand why I’m getting these rolls around my abdomen. I’m wonder if it’s either the menopause or the Lamictal. I haven’t changed the way I eat, try to keep under calories (which most of the time I succeed at). You know that I exercise a lot – try to do different exercises since the body will remember and not be challenged. So I’m going to try what Mary suggested, cutting back on carbs. Boo hoo…that means that I’ll have to cut back on my fruits. But I’m willing to give it a try. I’ll look back in my diary to see what foods that I eat are high in carbs. I know that I love my fruit, which is probably one area where I will need to cut back <cry>.

Did you know? I didn’t. Memorial Day honors those who died in the service to their country. Veteran’s Day honors all veterans.

Janetr – I would be proud, too.

Waiting – welcome!

Went to ACMoore and got 2 frames along with this frame to make a scarf. Need to go back to get two mats and another frame, but I want to use my 55% off coupons and since this isn’t something that needs to be gotten asap, I’ll get it the next time I’m there.

Earlier went to Sears since I got $14 off. Got a pair of exercise pants and a pair of shorts for free. That’s a price I can live with. If it had been me alone, I would have done the Sears and ACMoore in one trip, but not Vince. I needed to go home for him.

Rye – congrats on the dress fitting. Wonder if mine still fits? I’d have to find it, first.

Allie – when my father passed, Vince couldn’t understand why I needed to bury his ashes asap, right after I got them. I tried to explain to Vince that I needed closure and if he wasn’t coming with me, then I’d go alone. He did come with me, but he couldn’t understand why I needed to do it so soon, after all, to him “they’re only ashes”. His mother was creamated and if I didn’t have her ashes shipped to his family in MO, we’d STILL have them (she’s only been dead over 10 years). I’m sure by now his family has buried her ashes with his father – which is what she wanted.

Michele in NC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I also have a seat on the kombucha train. Tried ginger, lime, and cayenne pepper yesterday.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

I like kombucha tea as well. I used to make it with the mushroom and start new batches about twice a month. I remember my boss wouldn’t let be bring it to work cause it was fermented and must have alcohol in it. If it does I never noticed!!

Allie I love your patio! It really looks great with your friends out there enjoying it. May I suggest a few green plants?

Lisa The house is not far from Fort Smith which had really grown the past few years. Your getting close to our neck of the woods! We’re just a couple of hours away from there. I’m not familiar with the price of homes up there, but the further out of a city the prices are lower. You may want to check into the heating. We have all electric here in Hot Springs. Propane would be expensive in the winter, that’s for sure. Our highest electric bill last February was over $200 which was the highest ever cause it was so cold.
    Make sure to have the septic system checked out. Home inspectors won’t look at them, only the house itself. Just something to think about.

Machka Your DH seems to be progressing nicely. It takes time and it can’t be rushed.
    My friends daughter had her accident about the same time. It was horrific and she was in a coma for 44 days. She just had her 50th birthday and is now looking forward to being fitted with a prosthetic leg. She’s just barely talking and squeezing her mother’s hand. She asked her mom to make the pain go away just Saturday. It made me feel so badly for her. But things will improve and have! She wasn’t suppose to live!!
    So Machka, things will be better! Just be patient! Prayers are being asked and they will be received!

Dana in Hot Springs Arkansas

Saturday’s pictures: me & DH
    fyo5yciwcsk4.jpeg
    dcnjsmidqlpc.jpeg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound at all goofy to me....
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I like that idea Katla.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    oops put on 7lbs, hope some of it is water. Getting back on the wagon today with logging and exercising. Still catching up on earlier posts. First load of washing in the machine.

KATLA I also like your idea, very romantic <3<3

Kate UK <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up having my tea, will hop in the shower and go get Tal on the bus,,,
    I have alot of Phone calls to make and see if I can get help with paperwork but working 10-5 ...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    G Welcome. This is a very active, supportive group. Dive right in!!!

LisaLisaLisa You are an artiste! And an author...your right brain must me ginormous. Lovely painting.

Karen in Virginia
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    My "relaxing" weekend was good, but not really what I planned on it being-lol. Did get hot tub cleaned and broken jet replaced. Even managed making the deck presentable. Spent some short time with my brother as he drove through to and from indy race. Spent most though driving to and from DH's Aunt's home. She was selling her deceased husband's 1931 Ford model a streetrod truck. Guess who now holds the title. :) She (the truck) is now parked in a friend's barn. She needs some work, but DH and I are stoked! Apparently we dont have enough on our plates!
    I can't believe it is almost June!
    Hugs, prayers and high fives!

<3
    Kylia giddy in Ohio
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Ashes- Boy, Michele, do I understand the need for closure! My parents both passed away in 1993. We had them cremated as they requested; but my family could never agree on a time to get together to make the trip north (to family property) to scatter their ashes. Well, my sister moved to Florida and took the ashes with her; and there they stayed for another 15 years! It became fodder for family jokes like "Mom and dad have retired to Florida and are making ashes of themselves." and Sis would say, "I would take them to the beach, but it's too hard to put sunscreen on them!" (I know, bad jokes, irreverence; but it is how we process). Anywho...we FINALLY all gathered last summer and took their ashes and my sister's ashes north and scattered them all together in a place called the High Rollaways. I have told my kids that I want to be cremated and I want them to figure out a way to blast me into the air; so that the air currents can take me to places that I have always wanted to go.
    Pip - The pups look great decked out in their patriotic ensembles!
    Dana- Love the fire truck! You look great!

Welcome new ladies!

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Dana good advice to Lisa. I would also ask about the roof. Roof where you are probably last longer. Still they do wear out too and here they are very expensive to replace.

I am having splet again for breakfast. It is a whole grain wheat. It is not for gluten intolerant. I find I like it better than oatmeal. It does take a long time to cook on the stove. 40 minutes and does need to be soaked overnight. A nice change.

:heart: Margaret
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Kelly - my family processes the same way. When my grandfather's ashes were mailed to my mother, she said that she was going to go in the post office to pick up the package and throw her arms wide and say, "Daddy! You came home!" She also kept his ashes there at her house for nearly a year, and when the family asked why, she just said, "He never came to visit for very long before, and it's time now." My own expressed wish to my husband is that my ashes be placed on the mantelpiece in an urn with wiggly eyes stuck on it so I can watch him with his next girlfriend.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Why not?

I keep forgetting to mention this, but just ran across them again--my blood tests were all sterling in mid-May. They did the big series, so I'm negative for hepatitis a, b or c, (1 in 30 baby boomers are showing up with Hep C, they're not sure why, and it's symptomless), and everything else was peachy - most exciting was that, through diet alone, I've dropped my LDL, bad cholesterol, by 46 points in just over a year! I'm literally on the borderline of it dropping into the "good" range, as the "bad" range starts at 100, which is where mine is right now. I'm attributing it to the daily oat bran, because I'm honestly still getting most of my protein from animal sources.

Also got the first shot of the new shingles vaccine, and have to go back in for the second shot. Hurt like a SOB, but if it works, well worth it. Saw a friend go through it, and it's awful.

Later!
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Lisa, I really like the hour (and the price!). Nice big rooms and a lovely large kitchen. I see so many possibilities. Lovely painting. I envy those that can paint.

Margaret, good for you eating so well! I never heard of splet. I eat oatmeal a lot in the winter.

Janetr, glad your daughter is doing well after her emergency surgery. You should be proud of her getting her CPA. That’s huge.

Waitingtogo, welcome. Tell us a little about yourself.

Rye, I agree, framing those posters is a good way to celebrate your travels together. What a beautiful bride you were. And to fit in the dress. Kutos

Rita, better you than me in that desert heat!

Machka, good for you taking the opportunity to tell the dr about your husband other issues. You’re right, they do focus on the bigger issues and forget the little ones.

Kelly, I’m sure you’re the painting has really spruced up your house. Must feel good to get that accomplished. Jokes are always my family’s way of coping too. I think of the person laughing right along with us.

Karen, glad school for your grandson is out soon. The flowers from your garden are beautiful!

Tracey, congratulations on your anniversary. 31 years! Wonderful.

Dana, welcome back! Glad you had a great time. I’d love to see the crest when it is painted.

Allie, my father had a military burial and you are right, it is hard. But you will get though this as I know how strong you are. Tell the reverse mortgage company to take a flying leap and that they will get their money when the estate is settled. You can’t give them what you don’t have. Maybe a call needs to be made to the better business bureau.

Pip, so patriot your dogs are.

Rebecca, what a beautiful bird. I love owls.

Ghy139, welcome. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Kylia, it is so much fun starting a new project. Send us pictures.

It was a quiet weekend. I kept looking outside thinking of all the work that needed done. Then looked as my foot and just knew that it would be a bad idea. I’m calling the dr today to see if he had a cancellation and I can get in before the 12th. I need a decision made and move forward.

Have a great day ladies. Terry
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I had my first shingles shot a few weeks ago. OUCH! It hurt for several days. The next is coming up in July. The shots are much less horrible than the disease and anyone who had chicken pox is vulnerable to shingles. I had a shingles shot years ago, but the new one is supposed to be more effective. A friend had shingles and I sure don't want them. :noway: PS: I LOVE the colors you chose for your painting. They make me feel happy, just looking at them. I like the subject, too. :star:

We looked at a motor home yesterday and are going to the credit union to see whether we can finance it. It is old, but in immaculate condition and VERY LOW miles. The very best part is that it smells good inside. Nobody has smoked in it.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"It is not selfish to be happy. It is your highest purpose. Your joy is the greatest contribution you can make to life on the planet. A heart at peace with its owner blesses everyone it touches." ~ Alan Cohen
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Utttt
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    B)