June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I do not think I have the coordination to pull that off!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    June goal: 75 miles

6/3: 6.5 miles
    6/5: 4.3 miles
    6/6: 4.5 miles
    6/7: 5 miles

20.3/75 miles completed

It was already hot this morning when I started out at 5:50 am. My weather app said it was 78F feels like 83F. Garmin shows my run was 81F. Still much better than the 100+ we have been having for the last couple fo weeks and should be having for the foreseeable future. I still managed to get in 5 miles and had a great run. Of course now I am sitting at my office and I am FREEZING! I need to bring a jacket up here. But what usually happens is when I go out at lunchtime it is scorching hot and the inside of my car feels like a furnace so I forget that I need to get a jacket when I go home.

@elise4270 I do ok on the hop test, but not too good on the balance test. You'd think with all the yoga I do I would have better balance. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0607-7.5k, total-21.5k, goal-80k

It was hot. Nuff said.

@Elise4270 that sounds... not long. Just take it easy and treat it like you would any other regular training. Take it easy. Like, really easy. Walk the 3k if needed. And remember to have fun!
  • ladysnickerdoo
    ladysnickerdoo Posts: 61 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I did 3 miles on the elliptical this morning for a total of 5 so far. Plan to add to that soon. Also tried making a ticker. Not sure if I did it right. We will see.

img
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    here you go @ladysnickerdoo
    if you copy and paste this in your posts it should update

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    So everyone trying @elise4270's one leg balance test... just to add another dimension of difficulty. With eyes open - on one leg hop up to a step 8-12 inches high, landing on the same foot and balance there... step down and repeat. It is great for improving your stability.
    We also do step ups to a single leg balance using a high step - about 3 ft for me. It is getting easier but was really difficult for me initially - the top of the step is past my hips. It is really a glute workout!

Ima hafta find a step. :wink: sounds like a good way to strengthen that buuuttttt!

Dh is insane. He said he wanted to sign up for a 5k this/next weekend. Knock it out, but im not ready. So he signs us up for a championship dualathon next month. Gah! I'm going to be last, last last of lasts. Farts. Come on!

What do i need to know? I dont have a tri bike. I dont have the typical attire or knowledge. I dont look the part.

They're all gonna be "who the xxx is this lame ssss person?" Not the iron Nun!

Its a rather manageable distance. 3k run, 22k bike, 3k run and hilly. But I am not ready for competition. Not not not not not...

Help!

@Elise4270 - You.Got.This!! Even if you are last of the last - doesn't matter if you get out there and have fun. The running/walking part is not long and the biking part is doable.

At training this morning we did single leg shoulder press to add to the single leg activities :) My trainer said that it is not so much about balance or stability but about proper muscular activation which results in stabilization and none of us typically focus on it much. He started working with me on it so I would have the strength to recover when I trip or land funny and not end up on my face!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    So everyone trying @elise4270's one leg balance test... just to add another dimension of difficulty. With eyes open - on one leg hop up to a step 8-12 inches high, landing on the same foot and balance there... step down and repeat. It is great for improving your stability.
    We also do step ups to a single leg balance using a high step - about 3 ft for me. It is getting easier but was really difficult for me initially - the top of the step is past my hips. It is really a glute workout!

Ima hafta find a step. :wink: sounds like a good way to strengthen that buuuttttt!

Dh is insane. He said he wanted to sign up for a 5k this/next weekend. Knock it out, but im not ready. So he signs us up for a championship dualathon next month. Gah! I'm going to be last, last last of lasts. Farts. Come on!

What do i need to know? I dont have a tri bike. I dont have the typical attire or knowledge. I dont look the part.

They're all gonna be "who the xxx is this lame ssss person?" Not the iron Nun!

Its a rather manageable distance. 3k run, 22k bike, 3k run and hilly. But I am not ready for competition. Not not not not not...

Help!

@Elise4270 - You.Got.This!! Even if you are last of the last - doesn't matter if you get out there and have fun. The running/walking part is not long and the biking part is doable.

At training this morning we did single leg shoulder press to add to the single leg activities :) My trainer said that it is not so much about balance or stability but about proper muscular activation which results in stabilization and none of us typically focus on it much. He started working with me on it so I would have the strength to recover when I trip or land funny and not end up on my face!

Thanks! I feel like this is a whole different animal from running, where you encounter everyday people at all levels and distances.

I like the way your trainer thinks!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    June 7, 5k very slowly since there's an Orange Air Alert and my husband has asthma. He didn't have any issues but it was too darned hot.

It's official, we have seen an equal number of snakes to the times we have run since the weather warmed up. Last run, for the first time, we saw no snakes, so this one we saw TWO to make up for last time! one harmless small water snake slithering across the paved trail, and one not so harmless water moccasin sunning itself on a log by the bridge. In honor of all the snakes I am changing my June ticker to a snake in the sun:

exercise.png

Despite the heat it was really beautiful. We stopped to look at Mr Moccasin and saw a giant gray heron standing majestically in the middle of the river with hundreds of dragonflies swooping all around. I need a better phone so I can get good pictures of moments like that!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Just clarifying- I dont suggest doing the hop test with your eyes closed.

@Scott6255 The point in closing your eyes while balancing on one leg is to test your proprioception. Your muscles should know what to do without input from your eyes. You goony bird. How awesome would it be to run with your eyes closed! Just feel the run. Then the dirt on your face. Haha!

One of the issues I sometimes have with lupus flares is brain inflammation, which specifically messes with my proprioception. It usually doesn't last more than a few days but can cause a significant deficit while it's going on. Having proprioception problems is a very weird sensation! I think the weirdest one was that I would sometimes "lose" my right arm, then look down and be startled at seeing it there. Most people are used to thinking of themselves as having only five senses, but proprioception is definitely one of the senses that you notice when it's missing!

You can quickly test proprioception by closing your eyes and touching the tip of your nose with the index finger of each hand, then touching your fingertips together. When I'm having a flare, I start having problems about four inches from my nose - it feels like having blurry vision, only with my body sense. Bodies can do weird stuff!

Oh wow, I never tried that test before - I missed my nose once out of three tries per finger, missed touching my fingers together the first and third try, and nearly missed the second try. I think I could tell what you meant about it being like blurry vision, although it sounds like yours is much worse - I've never lost an arm before!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Another 3.1 miles today.

Basically I'm doing a 5k a day splitting between running/walking until I can just jog the 5k.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I did 8 miles today. 1 mile warm-up 6 up-tempo to my HMP or 90% Max HR then 1 wind-down. My plan called for 2 WU 6 Tempo 2 WD but my watch said "low battery" and I didn't have my charger at home so I shortened the WU and WD. I turned around at mile 4 to run the same route back home. The watch died right at 5 miles. I think the buzz at the mile callout did it in finally. I ran the same route back home so I had a good idea of distance and looked at my phone the second I got in the door. The weather has been awesome the past 3 days in SE Virginia but it's going to get crazy hot and humid soon.

June run total is 40.31 miles of 200
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    01/06 3.52 miles
    05/06 3.09 miles
    07/06 3.13 miles - slow and steady but got there, went shopping with my daughter a uniform for her first summer job and had a chicken burgar and chips - I have no willpower.

Did the hop test, my legs were fine but balance on my left was terrible and strangely I'm left handed.

@Elise4270 - We'll all be rooting for you. I did laugh when I read description!

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 beautiful pictures.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I overslept this morning, which means the 5 miler that I delayed a day anyway will get done in the heat. Ahhh well. It is what it is.

Tomorrow I get my hair cut/colored so pretty happy about that.