June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    So everyone trying @elise4270's one leg balance test... just to add another dimension of difficulty. With eyes open - on one leg hop up to a step 8-12 inches high, landing on the same foot and balance there... step down and repeat. It is great for improving your stability.
    We also do step ups to a single leg balance using a high step - about 3 ft for me. It is getting easier but was really difficult for me initially - the top of the step is past my hips. It is really a glute workout!

Ima hafta find a step. :wink: sounds like a good way to strengthen that buuuttttt!

Dh is insane. He said he wanted to sign up for a 5k this/next weekend. Knock it out, but im not ready. So he signs us up for a championship dualathon next month. Gah! I'm going to be last, last last of lasts. Farts. Come on!

What do i need to know? I dont have a tri bike. I dont have the typical attire or knowledge. I dont look the part.

They're all gonna be "who the xxx is this lame ssss person?" Not the iron Nun!

Its a rather manageable distance. 3k run, 22k bike, 3k run and hilly. But I am not ready for competition. Not not not not not...

Help!

I am not sure that I am ready for that either, but I would love to do this!!!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Today was going to be a rest day but due to extenuating circumstances, my stress levels were high AF so I needed to do something. So I ran 3 miles. Outside. It was hot in the sun and I can't believe how much I sweat. My HR got up there in the 150s but dangit, I was able to crank out one of those miles in under 13 minutes. :smiley:

I feel like such a dumba$$ when I run outside these days. I'm slow as a turtle stampeding through peanut butter and everything jiggles to boot, thanks to the gained weight. But hey, I'm out there, right?

In my haste to get out the door and do this spontaneous run, I did not put on sunscreen. BAD KITTY. I shall be pink.

You RAN THREE MILES. OUTSIDE. And it was SPECTACULAR.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Today was going to be a rest day but due to extenuating circumstances, my stress levels were high AF so I needed to do something. So I ran 3 miles. Outside. It was hot in the sun and I can't believe how much I sweat. My HR got up there in the 150s but dangit, I was able to crank out one of those miles in under 13 minutes. :smiley:

I feel like such a dumba$$ when I run outside these days. I'm slow as a turtle stampeding through peanut butter and everything jiggles to boot, thanks to the gained weight. But hey, I'm out there, right?

In my haste to get out the door and do this spontaneous run, I did not put on sunscreen. BAD KITTY. I shall be pink.

You RAN THREE MILES. OUTSIDE. And it was SPECTACULAR.

Yes. This! :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today, stuck taking the Jeep in to have its 02 Sensors replaced. yay.
  • gmiller725
    gmiller725 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    June Run Challenge
    6/4 0.5 mile walk
    6/5 3 mile run; Ran on the trails this evening, haven't done that in a long time and felt good.

3.5/20 mile
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    So everyone trying @elise4270's one leg balance test... just to add another dimension of difficulty. With eyes open - on one leg hop up to a step 8-12 inches high, landing on the same foot and balance there... step down and repeat. It is great for improving your stability.
    We also do step ups to a single leg balance using a high step - about 3 ft for me. It is getting easier but was really difficult for me initially - the top of the step is past my hips. It is really a glute workout!

Ima hafta find a step. :wink: sounds like a good way to strengthen that buuuttttt!

Dh is insane. He said he wanted to sign up for a 5k this/next weekend. Knock it out, but im not ready. So he signs us up for a championship dualathon next month. Gah! I'm going to be last, last last of lasts. Farts. Come on!

What do i need to know? I dont have a tri bike. I dont have the typical attire or knowledge. I dont look the part.

Its a rather manageable distance. 3k run, 22k bike, 3k run and hilly. But I am not ready for competition. Not not not not not...

Help!

I am not sure that I am ready for that either, but I would love to do this!!!

Ooooh, come do it! Come do it, come do it!!!! Hahaha!

Its Draper Lake duathlon if you decided to come up! @BEERRUNNER, DH and i met up hwre and did the POOP run last dec.

https://triokc.club/draper-du :smiley: Norman OK

I was going to look up last years times to make myself feel better about it. But havent yet. Still a little intimidated. And i need to buy some duathlon shorts i think... Or change?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    JUNE GOALS, REHAB SMART, 20 hours of activity for the month. Work up to 4 minutes of running and 15mpw.  (64mpm/103kpm)

2---4.05mi, 61min (PT run)
    3---2.58mi, 55 min walk
    4---3.71mi, 54 min (PT run)
    7---3.42 mi, 47 min 5(2-1,2-2)

217 min/ 13.76

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance
    April 28, 2019OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    8.38 miles tonight. Still in early stages of experimenting with Ucan again for BG management. This time, I was low before the run around 3:30p and had to treat. Suspended insulin pump around 3:30pm Was at a good number (i.e. not quite low, but too close for comfort to start running) by 4pm and I took 2 scoops of Ucan (40g net carbs with slow release) and kept pump in suspend. By 5:30, I was dropping (ugh, why?!) slightly. I know that the protein from chicken breast will spike me in 1-2 hrs. after eating if I don't take insulin (due to gluconeogenesis), so I ate 2 lbs. 4.4 oz. of chicken breast around 5:45pm and went running at 6pm. Pump still suspended, and I had 16g of dextrose while out running. Finished with a BG of 73, but it felt like a good run and I had energy most of it. So the Ucan or the chicken or something worked.

TL;DR - T1D sucks, BG management sucks, and it isn't fair. :'(

exercise.png

LOVE! (like just isnt justice).
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    6/1: 1.6 miles
    6/2: 4.1 miles
    6/3: 11.5 miles
    6/4: 1.4 miles
    6/5: 2.2 miles speed work
    6/6: rest
    6/7: 1 mile

Total: 21.8/75 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30

Yesterday was a planned rest day (which I didn’t even realize coincided with Global Running Day until last night - boo!). Today, I worked late, and when I got home, hubby had dinner almost ready. After dinner settled, I did 1 mile just to get something done.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom A little late to your
    Question: Now that I'm more or less in "HM shape" all of the time, what do I do between races that are three months apart?
    My suggestion is based on my own personal experience - I try to cycle through the last 3-4 weeks of the training program so it gives me a build and taper without huge changes in distance. Change a few into Trail runs and add a Track speed sessions on alternate weeks. A young lady in our club is referred to as Coach ChelChel ( Chelsey ) at the track as she has acquired/copied/designed a massive collection of track sessions based on Olympic Athlete's favorite/most hated workouts.
    The simplest Pyramid repeats - trying to maintain pace on 400m sections.
    800m easy warm-up - run the corner easy, 400m @ 80%, run the corner easy, 400m 100%, Easy Corner, 800m 80%, EC, 800m 100%, EC, 1200m 100%, 400m Easy, 800m 100%, EC, 400m 100%, 800m easy cooldown or repeat the pyramid 100% effort runs ( no 80% runs ). Some of the speedier Road Runners will add in a 1600m.
    @lporter229 Pictures never do viewpoints justice, Love the look of the bush trails.

What do i need to know? I dont have a tri bike. I dont have the typical attire or knowledge. I don't look the part.

Its a rather manageable distance. 3k run, 22k bike, 3k run and hilly. But I am not ready for competition. Not not not not not... Help!

@Elise4270 Well first off you still called him DH - so it can't be all bad.
    Bike - it's such a short distance that a Tri/Road bike is not required. With out DH knowing have slick tires installed on your bike B) , and maybe soften the tire on his bike ( 15-20lbs air ) >:)o:);) giving you just the smallest advantage. Me bad ???
    In all seriousness we have a Fall Sprint Tri-athlon ( 750m Pool Swim, 20km bike, 5 km run ) and it is seen as an introductory event for newbs. Also an end of season for most of the local Triathletes. So we have people on mountain bikes, 3 speed cruisers, touring bikes with slicks ( my bike ), road bikes and a few tri-bikes. Staggered wave start on the pool swim means most weaker swimmers/bikers go out first then the jocks/jockettes last. This means that most people finish at about the same time even if you have a 1 hr head start = lots of people to cheer everyone in.
    And i need to buy some duathlon shorts i think... Or change?
    Maybe you need a Super Woman costume and a cape?

@RespectTheKitty Well done on 3 spectacular miles.

Sudden heat wave here 30C = 90F - okay that's a nice day for Texas/Georgia etc, for us it's brutal I see a swim tonight not a run.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    6/1/2018 rest
    6/2/2018 2.65 miles
    6/3/2018 9.05 miles

6/4/2018 rest
    6/5/2018 3 miles
    6/6/2018 2.1 miles
    6/7/2018 2.5 miles

Total 19.3 miles /80-85

*sigh* I wrote out a big response this morning and then hit DONE. I hate the app. LOL

I did the hop / balance test. Passed. Must still have some of those dancer muscle memories. I may have wobbled a bit on my right side but I balanced lol I wobble through my single leg deadlifts too

Made sure I did workout #2 from Strong Curves today! Getting my strength on this month.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    LOL! Thanks for the humor @juliet3455 ! I'm sure I'll be fine. Just a bit of panic since a race/competition wasnt in my plans for another 5 months. Ya know, "dh" can be a bit subjective. :blush:
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

June Goals:
    200 running miles.
    IM 70.3 Muncie Training

Goals 6/4/18 - 6/10/18:
    Run: 50 miles
    TSS > 650

June Running:
    06.01.18 - 8 miles.
    06.02.18 - 11 miles.
    06.03.18 - 6.5 miles. Weekly TSS 497 / Weekly Miles 41.5
    06.04.18 - 9.5 miles. (CT - Swim 900 yds)
    06.05.18 - 7 miles. EZ Right Knee pain.
    06.06.18 - 9 m. (CT - Swim 900 yds)
    06.07.18 - Unplanned Off Day. :(

Fall Running Events:
    10.14.18 - Lake Tahoe Marathon
    10.21.18 - Atlantic City Marathon
    11.03.18 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
    11.10.18 - Tunnel Hill 50 miler
    12.08.18 - Tucson Marathon

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    4 very slow miles this am. Did the hop and balance test passed. I'll need about 15 miles on Saturday if I want to have 40 miles this week. We'll see.

exercise.png