40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Tabata Strength"=DONE!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Friday Fight: Round 1"=DONE!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    dblbbl88 wrote: »
    It is a good feeling, and I can do things now that I never even dreamed of doing, like hiking last weekend for 21 miles. I am just terrified of gaining weight and I let my head get in the middle of it.

Have you taken measurements or progress photos at all? Water weight and water retention in your muscles can account for a dramatic change depending on your composition. Also, what was your goal weight based on? If you've added new types of exercise (such as heavy lifting) from what you "used to do" you may find that your goal weight should be adjusted up a bit to account for it.

As an example, I used to weigh ~128 at my pre-fat weight. The past 8 months or so, however, I've focused heavily on strength training. I feel like I am carrying a lot more muscle than I did in the past, even though I was fit and strong then, I wasn't doing focused weight training like I am now. I've had to adjust my goal weigh to a range and base when I stop on how I feel/look and how large my fat deposits are when I'm getting closer. Measurements will play a key role as well as progress photos since the number on the scale can be very fickle!
  • dblbbl88
    dblbbl88 Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    dblbbl88 wrote: »
    It is a good feeling, and I can do things now that I never even dreamed of doing, like hiking last weekend for 21 miles. I am just terrified of gaining weight and I let my head get in the middle of it.

Have you taken measurements or progress photos at all? Water weight and water retention in your muscles can account for a dramatic change depending on your composition. Also, what was your goal weight based on? If you've added new types of exercise (such as heavy lifting) from what you "used to do" you may find that your goal weight should be adjusted up a bit to account for it.

As an example, I used to weigh ~128 at my pre-fat weight. The past 8 months or so, however, I've focused heavily on strength training. I feel like I am carrying a lot more muscle than I did in the past, even though I was fit and strong then, I wasn't doing focused weight training like I am now. I've had to adjust my goal weigh to a range and base when I stop on how I feel/look and how large my fat deposits are when I'm getting closer. Measurements will play a key role as well as progress photos since the number on the scale can be very fickle!

I haven’t taken any recent measurements, but I have significantly upped my weight training regiment. In addition, I have been doing a ton of hiking. I am noticing a lot more muscle in places that I didn’t have it before so I am very happy about that. I think I just feel that I should weight less than what I do even though I’m fairly fit. I don’t think my bathroom scale does a good job of measuring my body fat percentage because it just goes up when my weight goes up, even though I am pretty sure I’m not gaining fat. Thank you for the advice. I am truly grateful and I will remeasure and reevaluate my goals to account for my changes in fitness training.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    BONEFROG TIER-1=DONE!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    And another workout week comes to a close.

Thursday: Agility and Interval Events practice
    Friday: last day of CG Interval Week
    Saturday: Peak event practice

I'd like to say that tomorrow will be a much needed rest day, but I'm looking at a 12-hour shift at work. Hopefully I'll make some good money. Have a great day, everyone!

Happy Father's Day to all the dads!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Into the last two months of building for IMMT. Open water swim last night at a local pond. Water was great. Today, we did a 75 mile training ride through NW CT and Western Mass in ideal conditions. Lots of climbing, but some beautiful scenery. Tomorrow will be a long OWS and 2hr run.

One more week of training then its 10 days "off" from training for a family vacation in Italy.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Alright, let's post about workouts:

Sunday - long walk
    Monday - step cardio
    Tuesday - weightlifting
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - yoga
    Friday - weightlifting
    Saturday - cardio

Makes me feel like i need a more concrete plan..LOL
    turned 45 on 6/9

I try to work out every day for an hour....
    Mostly focus on weights/strength training..crunches..push ups etc (at home w equipment)
    as far as cardio, I try to go for a walk or bike with the kids for at least 30min a day...doesn't count errands, shopping ....try to park far away when i go shopping to get in as many steps as possible
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Pulse"=Done!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Got to my kettlebell class yesterday, love that class even when it hurts the next day, did cardio kickboxing after too and a long walk after a day of running around. Got to kb Monday, Wednesday and Friday too.

Short walk this morning but not likely to go for a long walk since its 33 out, and 40 with the humidex.

Usual workouts this week with a bonus focus pad workout with Leo Louks.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Alright, let's post about workouts:

Sunday - long walk
    Monday - step cardio
    Tuesday - weightlifting
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - yoga
    Friday - weightlifting
    Saturday - cardio

Makes me feel like i need a more concrete plan..LOL
    turned 45 on 6/9

I try to work out every day for an hour....
    Mostly focus on weights/strength training..crunches..push ups etc (at home w equipment)
    as far as cardio, I try to go for a walk or bike with the kids for at least 30min a day...doesn't count errands, shopping ....try to park far away when i go shopping to get in as many steps as possible

Posting the week's workout schedule for accountability.

Monday - lifting AM (squat day) - yoga PM
    Tuesday - circuit training - AM
    Wednesday - lifting AM (deadlift day)
    Thursday - circuit training - AM - yoga PM
    Friday - lifting AM (bench day)
    Saturday - cardio - 60 minutes minimum hiking/walking
    Sunday - rest day

• gam3rguy
    edited June 2018
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Max Out Cardio"=Done! 1st day of month 2! felt like starting over...LOL! still some soreness from Saturday's BONEFROG! I made it to the end...but JUST!

I did kick my sprained finger a few times during the warm up. Those 1-2-3 soccer kicks. There may have been some expletives.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,930 Member
    Options
    Italy is so beautiful....I am very jealous to read this, Djproulx - and also very happy you are headed away with your family.

I have to return to logging my food....the break that I took obviously immediately translated into "eating too much". And, my scale weight has popped up 4 lbs. NO bueno.

I started logging, again, today - and am trying to re-apportion my calories to allow for a late-night snack. This means that I have to cut back on my lunch portion of food and my supper portion of food, too. Sigh.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Was at the races all weekend, so today is going to be a rest day. Should be back to the gym tomorrow though!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Max Out Power"=Done! "MAXED OUT" right at the buzzer, like 4 times LOL!
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    Last year in the 40's. Eek.
  • mssteelbody
    mssteelbody Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1977 baby here, checking in. Hello All.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Max Out Sweat"=Done!