Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Common Examples of Situational Irony
    • The police station gets robbed. Again, the expectation is that professional crime fighters would be able to help themselves; in this case, by securing their own station.
    • A post on Facebook complaining how useless Facebook is. This is ironic because one would expect someone who dislikes Facebook to stay away from it instead of using it to make their point.
    • A traffic cop gets his license suspended because of unpaid parking tickets. Because the traffic cop is usually the one issuing tickets, most people would assume he always followed the rules.
    • A pilot has a fear of heights. This situation is ironic because airplane pilots spend most of their time at work high in the air.
    • A member of PETA wears leather shoes. Because PETA members work to protect animal rights, one would assume they would avoid products made form animal skins.
    • The teacher fails the test. Teachers are usually the ones giving tests rather than taking them, so most people assume they would be expert at passing tests.

Ironically, these are all examples of hypocrisy

It's a coincidence!
  • R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    IC every time I need an example of irony I just listen to that Alanis Morissette song
  • cee134
    Options
    hotmod wrote: »
    So when i get banned, that would be ironic, correct?

That I think would be true hotmod.
  • cee134
    Options
    IC every time I need an example of irony I just listen to that Alanis Morissette song

I first learned I was wrong about irony when I learned that song had no ironic examples in it.
    Alanis Morissette’s song “Ironic” is equally useful. If it rains on your wedding day, that’s a coincidence, not an irony. If you win the lottery and drop dead before claiming the money, it’s good luck followed by bad luck. If you meet the man of your dreams and then meet his beautiful wife, it’s a bummer. But if a song called “Ironic” contains no irony, is that in itself ironic? Nope.
    https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/isnt-it-ironic-probably-not/
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

I was going to ask how could you get banned when we can't report your posts, but it seems as though I can do that now. Please disregard that report....
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I first learned I was wrong about irony when I learned that song had no ironic examples in it.
    Alanis Morissette’s song “Ironic” is equally useful. If it rains on your wedding day, that’s a coincidence, not an irony. If you win the lottery and drop dead before claiming the money, it’s good luck followed by bad luck. If you meet the man of your dreams and then meet his beautiful wife, it’s a bummer. But if a song called “Ironic” contains no irony, is that in itself ironic? Nope.
    https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/isnt-it-ironic-probably-not/

LOL I was just going to post this.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Ok. I've lost motivation to work out and eat properly the past couple weeks. Need to find that motivation again. I think I'm just feeling old.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Ok. I've lost motivation to work out and eat properly the past couple weeks. Need to find that motivation again. I think I'm just feeling old.

put up a pic of yourself you won't feel old anymore. nice to see you in here though
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options

put up a pic of yourself you won't feel old anymore. nice to see you in here though

How will putting up a pic help?
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options

Look at my pp....does a world of good...feeling sprite today.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options

I know how you feel. I've had to really mentally prepare and convince myself to work out the past few weeks... that along with the cookies that keep attacking me... the pounds are creepin'
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options

Easy you are easy on the eyes..
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

I was going to ask how could you get banned when we can't report your posts, but it seems as though I can do that now. Please disregard that report....

haha, I thought you were joking, guess I should be a better mod keeping up with the reports

also, I think you could always report us, or at least since I have been a mod (so a little over a year) its just the spam and abuse flags that don't work on us.
  • cee134
    Options

haha, I thought you were joking, guess I should be a better mod keeping up with the reports

also, I think you could always report us, or at least since I have been a mod (so a little over a year) its just the spam and abuse flags that don't work on us.

WHO ARE YOU!?!
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

Thats right it's the spam and abuse that don't work! @cee134 is it ironic if a mod that handles the reports, gets herself reported?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

Thats right it's the spam and abuse that don't work! @cee134 is it ironic if a mod that handles the reports, gets herself reported?

Don’t ask him, he wouldn’t know irony if Alanis Morissette updated the song to include it

https://youtu.be/6GVJpOmaDyU
  • cee134
    Options

DON'T ASK ME!!! I KEEP TRYING TO SAY I DON'T KNOW WHAT IRONY IS!!!

Also yes I believe it is.
  • cee134
    Options

Don’t ask him, he wouldn’t know irony if Alanis Morissette updated the song to include it

What kind of wizard *kitten* is this?!?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

What kind of wizard *kitten* is this?!?

Apparently she’s been harassed by snooty grammar koonts for the past twenty years, so she updated the lyrics. :wink: