July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    So I've started videoing my runs and they're really bouncy as you would expect given I'm holding a cell phone in my hand to record. Has anybody else here recorded runs, or even bike rides or skiing for that matter? What sort of gear do you use if so? I would like to invest in equipment that doesn't give viewers motion sickness as at this point I think my videos are easier to listen to than to watch and podcast isn't really what I'm going for.

(Channel is Run Sarah Run on YouTube if anyone is interested.)

Hey, so the big thing would be to get a Gimble. Whether or not you use a phone, GoPro, or any other kind of camera, a Gimble will make a HUGE difference in stability. They are A few hundred dollars for a decent one though.

The next best thing would be a head-mounted camera. It will be far more stable their then in your hands, and and the benefit of being able to aim the camera just by looking at what you want in the video. It also frees up your hands for doing stuff like drinking or fighting off ninjas.

Or just keep doing what you are doing. :) You might want to wait and see how serious you are really going to be with this before you buy anything.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi all! It’s the dog days of summer here in the mid-Atlantic USA, so much heat and the fact I promised myself I’d decrease my mileage for awhile (injuries) means I’m aiming for 15 miles a week- 2 short runs and one long-ish run. It just occurred to me while scrolling through this post, I gotta figure out when to start training for my fall half. Anyone else doing the Disney World Wine and Dine?
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I’m gonna go super low this month in the hopes that once I’m done with classes I’ll have the motivation to run instead of sleeping while the little one is at school. Lol. So I’m thinking 50mi
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. I'll be doing my first official training run today towards my half. I'm so excited. It's really fun to say it starts today. It's the middle of winter here so I'll be running tonight. My first run is 5x 1.3k runs with short 160m walks. To keep this challenging, ill be running "sprints". My 10k pace is around 6:44min/km and my 5k pace is around 5:55ish so I'll aim for 6min/km. Does that sound best? I'm really second guessing myself because I can happily run around 7km so doing a broken 6.5 feels wrong.

Oh another idea, do the same plan but use the "walking" as sprints? That would be better training right?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So question,

I am doing the 5-10k program because I want to fill the next 6 weeks before I start my 12 week half marathon training, and this gives me something to concentrate on. Its 3 runs a week, think C25K but its 5-10k instead. it starts as a 6k run - with a couple of walks, and quickly increases to 8,9 then 10. Im adding a long run on the weekends as well as I usually run 7-8km without a break as a long run anyway. ETA my usual weekday running is around 3-4km at my lunch break (it includes a really steep hill which helps keep my fitness up lol) but the last couple of weeks I havent been able to get out due to sickness and weather. I am changing my running to the evenings and will be running regardless of the weather.

Does this seem sensible? I know I could just get out 4 times a week and run what ever distance, but the advantage of the program is it gives me something to focus on. I am worried I'm going backwards rather than progressing by doing this.

Thoughts?

That sounds a bit below your baseline for a starting point. If you really want to use that program, you might want to scan it for a week that looks like about what you're doing now, and start with that week. Or look at the prerequisites for your HM training plan; what does it ask for as a base? 15 to 20 km per week, maybe? If you're not running as far as the base the HM plan asks for, now is the time to gradually add weekly distance and stretch long runs to the point you match up well with the start of the HM plan just when you need to start it.

Most HM plans will be 4 or 5 days a week. I can be tough to prepare for that distance running only 3 days a week, particularly if you haven't routinely run that far in the past.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So question,

I am doing the 5-10k program because I want to fill the next 6 weeks before I start my 12 week half marathon training, and this gives me something to concentrate on. Its 3 runs a week, think C25K but its 5-10k instead. it starts as a 6k run - with a couple of walks, and quickly increases to 8,9 then 10. Im adding a long run on the weekends as well as I usually run 7-8km without a break as a long run anyway. ETA my usual weekday running is around 3-4km at my lunch break (it includes a really steep hill which helps keep my fitness up lol) but the last couple of weeks I havent been able to get out due to sickness and weather. I am changing my running to the evenings and will be running regardless of the weather.

Does this seem sensible? I know I could just get out 4 times a week and run what ever distance, but the advantage of the program is it gives me something to focus on. I am worried I'm going backwards rather than progressing by doing this.

Thoughts?

That sounds a bit below your baseline for a starting point. If you really want to use that program, you might want to scan it for a week that looks like about what you're doing now, and start with that week. Or look at the prerequisites for your HM training plan; what does it ask for as a base? 15 to 20 km per week, maybe? If you're not running as far as the base the HM plan asks for, now is the time to gradually add weekly distance and stretch long runs to the point you match up well with the start of the HM plan just when you need to start it.

Most HM plans will be 4 or 5 days a week. I can be tough to prepare for that distance running only 3 days a week, particularly if you haven't routinely run that far in the past.

Thanks for replying. The HM plan is 5 days a week, so to prepare for that I was going to do this plan + a long run on the weekends for the 6 weeks that this plan goes for - so 4 runs a week. Then jump into the HM plan. The HM plan is for beginners so its for those doing around 25-40km which even in the beginning stages with my extra long run (8-10km) on the weekends I will be doing. Hence my thought was to use this, but instead of doing the walks, I'll do sprints, so use it as an improover rather than a 10k trainer. the first long run in the HM plan is 9.6k so by the end of this plan, will be matching that. The first week is a 6.4k FARTLEK, 6.4k, 6.4k and a 4.8k with the 9.6 long run.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. I'll be doing my first official training run today towards my half. I'm so excited. It's really fun to say it starts today. It's the middle of winter here so I'll be running tonight. My first run is 5x 1.3k runs with short 160m walks. To keep this challenging, ill be running "sprints". My 10k pace is around 6:44min/km and my 5k pace is around 5:55ish so I'll aim for 6min/km. Does that sound best? I'm really second guessing myself because I can happily run around 7km so doing a broken 6.5 feels wrong.

Oh another idea, do the same plan but use the "walking" as sprints? That would be better training right?

There are two reasons to do intervals like the ones you describe.

Plans designed for beginners do run/walk intervals to build the capability of running without running to failure. Running to failure can be demoralizing, and it also has a high risk of injury. Since you can already run 7 km nonstop, this reason does not apply to you.

The other reason to run short intervals is speed training. The idea is that you run fast, recover, run fast again. Depending on the length of the interval and how fast you run it, you may be working on speed for shorter races. (To me, "shorter" is 5K and 1500m or 1600m races.) Or you may be working on developing endurance at speed by running longer intervals, but less hard.

Interval work while training for a half marathon or marathon is generally designed to improve form, improve cardio vascular conditioning, and improve endurance at speed. The idea is to run the fastest half marathon or marathon that you can.

If the plan you are looking at is all interval work, it's a beginner plan. If the plan you are looking at has interval work one day a week (or maybe two days a week, if it's a 5 day a week plan), it's designed to be speed work and the days that aren't intervals should be run easy.

Half the battle is understanding what you're trying to accomplish and how the plan is trying to get you there. If all you want is to be able to run the distance, interval work is less important. If you want to run the distance fast, you want to understand how using intervals is intended to help you do that.

I'd also note that a plan focused on getting you to run a 10K fast will have different types of intervals than a plan focused on getting you to run a half marathon fast.
  • Avidkeo
    edited July 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

There are two reasons to do intervals like the ones you describe.

Plans designed for beginners do run/walk intervals to build the capability of running without running to failure. Running to failure can be demoralizing, and it also has a high risk of injury. Since you can already run 7 km nonstop, this reason does not apply to you.

The other reason to run short intervals is speed training. The idea is that you run fast, recover, run fast again. Depending on the length of the interval and how fast you run it, you may be working on speed for shorter races. (To me, "shorter" is 5K and 1500m or 1600m races.) Or you may be working on developing endurance at speed by running longer intervals, but less hard.

Interval work while training for a half marathon or marathon is generally designed to improve form, improve cardio vascular conditioning, and improve endurance at speed. The idea is to run the fastest half marathon or marathon that you can.

If the plan you are looking at is all interval work, it's a beginner plan. If the plan you are looking at has interval work one day a week (or maybe two days a week, if it's a 5 day a week plan), it's designed to be speed work and the days that aren't intervals should be run easy.

Half the battle is understanding what you're trying to accomplish and how the plan is trying to get you there. If all you want is to be able to run the distance, interval work is less important. If you want to run the distance fast, you want to understand how using intervals is intended to help you do that.

I'd also note that a plan focused on getting you to run a 10K fast will have different types of intervals than a plan focused on getting you to run a half marathon fast.

Ah that makes a lot of sense. I think I'm running around in circles because I have been so haphazzard for the last few months as far as running goes. I regularly run around 7-8km on the weekend with a 3-4km run as often as I can during the week, averaging around 3 times during the week. I have once run 10k (a month ago) but havent done anything longer than 5k for the last couple of weeks due to illness.

the HM training program is mostly just distances with FARTLEK thrown in once a week, or a hills run, but the bulk of it is distances building to 20k long run at week 10, then a taper off for the final 2 weeks.

I think I got stuck on the 6 week plan because it gives me something to focus on until I start the HM plan. So instead should I just be going out, running increasing distances for a bit? Now I'm wondering if the HM beginner plan is appropriate? My ultimate goal is to run the entire race, and I want to do it in 2.5hrs or less. I did complete one years ago in 3hrs 7 min. I never trained properly for it at all, hence my desire to do better this time.

ETA Ive just notice that cool runnings has a pre training plan to do for 5 weeks or so. Perhaps I should focus on that?

Mon. Tue. Wed. Thu. Fri. Sat. Sun.
    Pre-
    Train Off 3M 4M 4M Off 3M 5M

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes sounds like you had your hardest work BEFORE you ever started your race. Good job getting through it and finishing.

@skippygirlsmom that was such an inspiring moment. You're such a good mom! Sniff....